Problem exporting values to excel.

15 posts • viewed 211 times

This message aims at: reporting a bug

Upvotes: 0
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Hi,

I'm having a problem here.
My collection value at my coins page is not the same that is exported to xlsx (exporting only coins not for swap)(all my coins for swap have empty value field)

When I sum up all the values at the spreadsheet I get a different (smaller) total value for the coins than presented at the site.

Suggestions?

thanks

Julio
I have the same issue. I believe the reason is the value on the website is calculated by first rounding the individual value of each coin to the nearest dollar (zero decimal places) (e.g. $1.51 --> $2, $1.49 --> $1). Then these rounded values are summed to get final value. I tried this with the excel spreadsheet for my coins and was able get the value on the website. In my case the difference was about $40. The obvious answer is to sum the value of the individual coins first then round to the nearest dollar but I don't know how much work it would be to change.
Quote: "rsirian1"​I have the same issue. I believe the reason is the value on the website is calculated by first rounding the individual value of each coin to the nearest dollar (zero decimal places) (e.g. $1.51 --> $2, $1.49 --> $1). Then these rounded values are summed to get final value. I tried this with the excel spreadsheet for my coins and was able get the value on the website. In my case the difference was about $40. The obvious answer is to sum the value of the individual coins first then round to the nearest dollar but I don't know how much work it would be to change.
Weird.

It was ok a few days ago though. I added a few coins and stopped calculating correctly.
The possible answer is that, if I remember correctly, values are stored in euro. So if you add a coin worth a dollar, the value is calculated to euro's and stored, but if the exchange rate changes the next day (when calculating back from euro to dollar) the value might be different.

Just my 1, 0021 cent (recalculated through euro's)
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
Quote: "BramVB"​The possible answer is that, if I remember correctly, values are stored in euro. So if you add a coin worth a dollar, the value is calculated to euro's and stored, but if the exchange rate changes the next day (when calculating back from euro to dollar) the value might be different.

​Just my 1, 0021 cent (recalculated through euro's)

I add all values in USD, and I'm talking about a difference of US$80.00 between the data in the site and the exported. For about 700 coins.
As far as I know, the value of your coin is not exported to Excel at all. Only the face-value, or denomination is exported.
They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"​As far as I know, the value of your coin is not exported to Excel at all. Only the face-value, or denomination is exported.
​it is.

All these fields can be exported:

Country
Issuer
Currency
Face value
Reference
Link
Title
Type
Year range
Shape
Composition
Weight
Diameter
Thickness
Orientation

Year
Gregorian year
Mintmark
Comment

Quantity
For exchange
Grade
Collection
Price
Private comment
Public comment
I know what is exported, but Value is not one of the fields. I think you're either confused about Face value, which is the denomination, or Price, which is the Buying value. The sum of Buying value is the same as My values on the My Coins page.

Now, what is important here is that this only works when you always used the same currency in your settings. Here's what happens:

My setting is set to Euro. I set the buying value of a coin to 1.
I export my coins and the EUR field in my export states 1.
Now I change the currency in my profile to USD.
I export my coins again and the USD field (which used to be a EUR field) now states 1,22 (because $ 1,22 == € 1).
I remove the buying value from the coin and I add it again (my settings still say USD as currency).
I export my coins again and the USD field now states 1.

Ergo, the system remembers in which currency you set the buying value of a coin and it converts the value to the currency that is in your profile while doing the export.
They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"​I know what is exported, but Value is not one of the fields. I think you're either confused about Face value, which is the denomination, or Price, which is the Buying value. The sum of Buying value is the same as My values on the My Coins page.

​Now, what is important here is that this only works when you always used the same currency in your settings. Here's what happens:

​My setting is set to Euro. I set the buying value of a coin to 1.
​I export my coins and the EUR field in my export states 1.
​Now I change the currency in my profile to USD.
​I export my coins again and the USD field (which used to be a EUR field) now states 1,22 (because $ 1,22 == € 1).
​I remove the buying value from the coin and I add it again (my settings still say USD as currency).
​I export my coins again and the USD field now states 1.

​Ergo, the system remembers in which currency you set the buying value of a coin and it converts the value to the currency that is in your profile while doing the export.
l was ​Lost in translation.
Value -> Price.
buying value = price for us here
Quote: "smvdbrink"
​Ergo, the system remembers in which currency you set the buying value of a coin and it converts the value to the currency that is in your profile while doing the export.
Which are both USD.
Julio's original post is correct. The "My values" amount on the "My coins" page should be the sum of the "Buying value" we input for each coin times the quantity of that coin (in whatever currency we use) in the exported excel file. It's not. For my collection it's off by 54.60 when the currency is USD. If I change everything to euros it's off by 45.41. If everything is in UK Pounds it's off by 41.91. I had thought it was because of how each individual value is rounded to a whole number but now I'm not so sure.
I think I remember Xavier said he added inflation, so the older the value the bigger it should be by now to the time you added it.
Hello,

There are 2 factors which may explain why you see a different value between the page "My coins" and the export:

1. The value on the page "My coins" can potentially reflect the price only of a part of your collection, depending on which filters are active. To see the total value, you'll need to select "all collections" and "all" swap and non-swap.

2. The values are stored internally in euro, based on the exchange rate of the day when you entered the price of the coin. For example, if you registered your coin on January 1st 2016 with a price of 100 USD, Numista stored that the value is 92.0945 EUR (exchange rate was 1 USD = 0.920945 EUR on 1st Jan 2016).
The value on the page "My coins" is computed as the sum of all the values in euro, converted back to USD (or the currency you have set in your profile) with the exchange rate of today (1 USD = 0.823323 EUR today). Assuming you have only the coin described in the example above, the value would be 92.0945 EUR = 111.86 USD.
I'm not sure whether that's really what you would expect. It indeed roughly add the inflation (100 USD of Jan 2016 is about 110 USD today), especially for currencies that have a high inflation rate. However, it is not explained anywhere(except in this previous bug request) and I agree it may look weird.
Thanks to everybody who took their time to help us understand what was happening and especially Xavier for that explanation. It seems perfectly reasonable now that you explained it although not intuitive.
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,

​There are 2 factors which may explain why you see a different value between the page "My coins" and the export:

​1. The value on the page "My coins" can potentially reflect the price only of a part of your collection, depending on which filters are active. To see the total value, you'll need to select "all collections" and "all" swap and non-swap.

​2. The values are stored internally in euro, based on the exchange rate of the day when you entered the price of the coin. For example, if you registered your coin on January 1st 2016 with a price of 100 USD, Numista stored that the value is 92.0945 EUR (exchange rate was 1 USD = 0.920945 EUR on 1st Jan 2016).
​The value on the page "My coins" is computed as the sum of all the values in euro, converted back to USD (or the currency you have set in your profile) with the exchange rate of today (1 USD = 0.823323 EUR today). Assuming you have only the coin described in the example above, the value would be 92.0945 EUR = 111.86 USD.
​I'm not sure whether that's really what you would expect. It indeed roughly add the inflation (100 USD of Jan 2016 is about 110 USD today), especially for currencies that have a high inflation rate. However, it is not explained anywhere(except in this previous bug request) and I agree it may look weird.
​1/ Only (some of) my non-swap coins have values.

2/ The individual coins values are ok, the problem only happens at the my values. Here:

My values $2422
for 79% of my coins
Estimate $1160
for 86% of my coins

It keeps a constant +$84.00 difference than when Excel sum the values.

Also it happened within a few hours, after a finished adding some new coins. Before that both the site and the sheet values were matching.

regards.

Julio

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:06.