Riddle from Bhutan: I miss one Ngultrum

16 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Three lovely young girls visiting Bhutan want to drink a beer.  
The barman requests 10 ngultrums per beer.                                  3 x 10 = 30 ngultrums
The boss decides to make a gift  to these girls and charge only:     25 ngultrums
and gives the difference to the barman:                                           5 ngultrums
Quite embarrassed to give change,
the barman gives back one ngultrum to each girl,                           3 ngultrums
and keeps the remaining 2 ngultrums.                                             2 ngultrums
Let us count:
Girls paid each 10-1 = 9 ngultrums totaling 27 ngultrums;              3 x 9 = 27 ngultrums
The barman pocketed 2 ngultrums;                                                + 2 ngultrums
The total is 29 ngultrums.                                                               = 29 ngultrums

From 30 in the beginning, where is the ngultrum missing :snif: ? 30 - 29 = 1 ngultrum?
ie 100 chertums :8D  as everyone knows ...
Referee of south atlantic islands
Quote: FrenchloverThree lovely young girls visiting Bhutan want to drink a beer.  
The barman requests 10 ngultrums per beer.                                  3 x 10 = 30 ngultrums
The boss decides to make a gift  to these girls and charge only:     25 ngultrums
and gives the difference to the barman:                                           5 ngultrums
the barman gives back one ngultrum to each girl,                           3 ngultrums
and keeps the remaining 2 ngultrums.                                             2 ngultrums
Let us count:
Girls paid each 10-1 = 9 ngultrums totaling 27 ngultrums;              3 x 9 = 27 ngultrums
The barman pocketed 2 ngultrums;                                                + 2 ngultrums
The total is 29 ngultrums.                                                               = 29 ngultrums

From 30 in the beginning, where is the ngultrum missing :snif: ? 30 - 29 = 1 ngultrum?
I get that. Girls paid 28 ngultrum, not 27. Because they paid 3 beers (30 ngulturm) and the barmen gives them back 1 ngulturm to each girl. That means 30-2=28.
Regards
Check my doubles. ;)
B.
;)
Check my doubles. ;)
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic12244.html#p77412

Even though I asked a similar question nearly a year ago, still not sure how it works. The reply at the end says there is only 25 or 27 or 28 or 30 so there is no 29.

25 = 25  or  27 - 2  or  30 - 3 - 2
27 = 25 + 2  or  30 - 3
28 = 25 + 3  or  30 - 2
30 = 25 + 2 + 3

29 = 25 + 2 + 2 which is wrong as the 2 has been added twice
All the above numbers are made by adding or deducting a single 2 and/or a 3 (so not a 2 twice).
 Something like that.  B.
At that time your question was in Pounds
Now it is a lot easier to pay in Ngultrums :D
I love all those brain teasers, when I studied in university, one of our tutor time by time gave us very tricky exercises and we have to use pascal programming language to sort them out.. oh old good times..
silver addict Latvian
Quote: FrenchloverThree lovely young girls visiting Bhutan want to drink a beer.  
Let us count:

The missing Ngultrum ended up in the charitybox! ;)
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
Reminds me of a quote I saw:
"There are two type of people in the world.  Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data."
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
Quote: "Frenchlover"​Three lovely young girls visiting Bhutan want to drink a beer.
​The barman requests 10 ngultrums per beer. 3 x 10 = 30 ngultrums
​The boss decides to make a gift to these girls and charge only: 25 ngultrums
​and gives the difference to the barman: 5 ngultrums
​Quite embarrassed to give change,
​the barman gives back one ngultrum to each girl, 3 ngultrums
​and keeps the remaining 2 ngultrums. 2 ngultrums
​Let us count:
​Girls paid each 10-1 = 9 ngultrums totaling 27 ngultrums; 3 x 9 = 27 ngultrums
​The barman pocketed 2 ngultrums; + 2 ngultrums
​The total is 29 ngultrums. = 29 ngultrums

​From 30 in the beginning, where is the ngultrum missing :snif: ? 30 - 29 = 1 ngultrum?
​ie 100 chertums :8D as everyone knows ...
Now, the problem is 27 + 2 = 29 not equal to 30. However, the sum of the amount the girls paid and how much the barman pocketed is not related (i.e. not equal) to the 30 ngultrums in the beginning. This is because after they paid the sum, the possession of the money changes and the amount is no longer 27.

In possession:
Girls: 30 - 30 + 3 = 3 (original 30 - paid 30 + return 3)
Barman (doing what he should do): 30 - 5 = 25 (original collected from girls 30 - discount 5)
Barman (tip for himself): 2 (he got two for himself)

As we can see, summing the total amount of money in each persons' hands, we get:
25 + 2 + 3 = 30

So there are no missing ngultrums.
Sorry for reviving dead post :|
Three lovely young girls visiting Bhutan want to drink a beer.
The barman requests 10 ngultrums per beer. 3 x 10 = 30 ngultrums
The boss decides to make a gift to these girls and charge only: 25 ngultrums
and gives the difference to the barman: 5 ngultrums
the barman gives back one ngultrum to each girl, 3 ngultrums
and keeps the remaining 2 ngultrums. 2 ngultrums
Let us count:
( Girls paid each 10 - 1 = 9 ngultrums totaling 27 ngultrums; 3 x 9 = 27 ngultrums )
The barman pocketed 2 ngultrums; + 2 ngultrums
The total is 29 ngultrums. = 29 ngultrums

From 30 in the beginning, where is the ngultrum missing? 30 - 29 = 1 ngultrum?
i.e. 100 chertums as everyone knows ...

The whole problem lies with the underline sentence which itself is wrong, the girls never paid 9 ngultrum !
So there is no question of 3 x 9 = 27
It is very simple, Girls paid 30, Boss return 5 = (30 - 5 = 25 ), Barman return 3 i.e., 1 to each Girl and Keeps 2 with him (5 + 25) = 30 again !
coin collector.....
nvm, my brain is still asleep:Zz:
HoH
Quote: "Houseofham"​nvm, my brain is still asleep:Zz:
​Ditto, I never liked math at school.... 8~
What the girls were charged can be represented by this formula:

number of drinks * price charged per drink = price

Original bill: 3 * 10 = 30
Final bill, 3 * 9 = 27

The way the question was posted is wrong. You can't just subtract 2 from the right side of the 1st equation and and then compare the result to the left side of the 2nd. That's not how math works.
HoH
As I understood it, the initial sum total was 35 (girls had 30, the barman had nothing, the boss had 5). Girls end up with 3, the barman ends up with 32 (30 from the girls and 2 from the boss), the boss ends up with nothing. The final sum total is 35 as it was before. The claims that there were "30 in the beginning" and that "[t]he total [in the end] is 29 ngultrums" both appear to be false.
ūūūūū

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:15.