How to grade coins with holes

61 posts

» Quick access to the last post

When I get coins that have has holes drilled in them if someone wanted to make a necklace--they are sometimes in good condition except for the hole. Do I ignore the hole and grade it normally...?
I grade the coin and note the hole
Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
To me, unless it is scarce it is useless. I'd sell it on or throw it away.
A site on the New Zealand traders tokens I collect stated that coins with scratches/rim knocks etc should be valued at 50% of catalogue value, coins with holes about 20% of catalogue.
Quote: "neilithic"​A site on the New Zealand traders tokens I collect stated that coins with scratches/rim knocks etc should be valued at 50% of catalogue value, coins with holes about 20% of catalogue.
​Weren't those usually holed anyway so that people on ships could keep them around their neck?
No, the ones I collect are trader tokens used as currency round New Zealand, they were introduced during the gold rush because there was a sudden influx of people and a lack of lower denomination coins. So they didn't go on ships.
The written rule of thumb suggests a hole makes a coin worthless, But I think it depends who the buyer is. Don't forget there are many "low ball" collectors out there who love nothing more than a worn coin without scratches though.

Something in my opinion is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

I know the feeling of finding a keeper that has had a big fat hole drilled through it. This is my latest example.....

The pictures don't do this coin very much justice, the details are very sharp but look worn in the images.

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/belgium-10-centimes-km-21-1832-1856-cuid-24889-duid-71433

I would have been distraught if this coin was any of the other years in the NGC link. :snif:

I have only now just noticed there is a big D scratched into the surface. :.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
Drilling a hole in a coin has zero impact on it's grade, only it's value.

If I take an UNC coin and drill a hole in it, I don't now have a VF coin which might still have considerable value. I have a worthless UNC coin with a hole in it. I've got dozens of high grade 100 year old coins in my junk silver bin because they have holes in them.

If I go out tonight, get roaring drunk and drive my elderly Jaguar into a creek it won't become a brand new Yugo.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Sometimes a holed and damaged coin is more interesting to me, This is/was a 1943 Australian Florin.

Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
Yes, holeys can throw up a pleasant surprise now and then.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic27622.html
1873H NewFoundland G4 = $800us so whats it worth with the hole?
(TRUTH) Its worth only what someone will pay for it.
I was very glad to receive this coin as it fills another hole :D(get It) in my collection
Cheers Don
Hoping the Numista gang can help me with this "on topic" medallion.

A lady from the Bowling Alley brought this by with her 1887 Crown.

The best match I could find was a Spinks of London medallion (?)

Looked like copper when I saw it (I didn't weigh or measure).

Kind Regards
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Should have made its own topic really.

You are correct, It is a commemorative 60th year medal by Spinks and was as some point connected to a red ribbon, hence the hole.

Example here
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
If only this coin could talk, a hole lot of interesting stuff starting with the Bubonic plague.
I deny nothing but doubt everything, opinions are made to be changed, how else is the truth to be gotten at.
I would say, make the coin usefull again ;-)
sorry guys, drilled it myself :-0
Quote: "mic-w-nl"​I would say, make the coin usefull again ;-)
​sorry guys, drilled it myself :-0
​What a good idea! I don't know why but this use for an otherwise nice holey has never occurred to me before. When I see a coin with a hole I automatically think jewelry and as I don't wear any type of adornment, being blessed with movie star looks, except a watch and a magical bracelet which cures arthritic wrists I just dismiss them.

I'll have to take a second look at my discarded coins and find a suitable key fob.

I have quite a collection of coins made into buttons, eight Oregon half dollars for my reefer jacket and mercury dimes for my new Duluth shirt. Neither of which are suitable Florida attire so I've got plenty of time to persuade my lady wife to sew them for me.

Although as numismatists we are supposed to frown on such practices I really like things made from recycled coins. I have quite a large collection of coins sealed in blocks of Lucite. Some are supposedly functional like letter racks and paper knives but the nicest are simply paperweights. Pride of place goes to a full US 1965 SMS mint set forever sealed in a large block. I guess the coins are ruined as collectors items but they will be forever in exactly the state they were in on the day they were minted. They will never tone or wear.... I kinda like that idea.

I posted some pictures a year or two back but I've grown the collection a lot since then. I've been haggling with a nice lady at the fleamarket over a HUGE Lucite cube, about 18 inches each side which is filled with hundreds of bright uncirculated 1956 cents. They are very artfully arranged so they appear to be cascading through liquid and there are some many that the sun catches a few dozen whichever way it faces. She's not keen on selling it (she uses it to display her hand made bracelets on) so I might have to take along the duct tape and hammer to seal the deal.

I'm also looking for an older, metal wall clock with a plain face to make a "coin clock" using different sized silver coins in place of the numbers. It will ultimately depend on the style of clock I find but I'm thinking of the inter war Netherlands .640 silvers which are cheap to buy and often beautifully toned.

I know, I know.... I'm a barbarian... how could I do something so cruel to all those lovely coins!
In the building of the Mint in Utrecht, the Netherlands, there's a complete floor made of the dutch gulden coins, filled up with some kind of epoxy. They lay down (try, made a few mistakes) all the coins on the side, so you can't stay on the head of our queen :-)
Such a floor, with a big worldmap of coins looks cool to me! But that will be a hard fight at home, to get a green light for that.
In my collection field (Africa) :
I accept as coins only Islamic pre-1850 coins with contemporary holes.
Those holes had their function - to summarize coins in one more or less exact weight / denomination. I just look if hole don't damage one of most important details of coin. But people in that times were smart :) - they were thinking about numismatists in the Future ! - most coins have holes in their empty parts of main surfaces.

best
D
I have a few holed silver coins (George 111, Victoria, etc) and inscribed coins - some were inherited - and others which I have added to a silver charm bracelet because it reflects my love of coins and collecting. It is a shame that some of them would have been very collectable (VF/EF) if they hadn't been holed but I don't see them as valueless - just not a nuismatics dream.
I do have an EF seige Newark half crown which has an original punched hole which I will NOT be wearing on my bracelet, however. It might be reduced in value but to suggest it has no value would be silly. The truth is any coin is only worth the amount somebody is prepared to pay for it "on the day".
I make the distinction between an original punched hole vs a contemporary drilled hole, as I'm sure other collectors do.
I would be grateful for opinions on the following. I have an 1804 Bank of England Dollar in nice condition which has a hole near the edge. The coin shows some detail of the 8 Reales on which it was struck, including the date of the original coin. The hole is not at the top of the British King's head, where you might expect it, but in the vicinity of where the head on the donor coin would be. The raised edges around the hole have been flattened. This leads me to deduce that the hole was in the original coin before being re-struck and that the re-striking has flattened the edges of the original hole. How would one value such a coin?.
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 21-Dec-2019, 10:37)
Quote: "tommo49"​I would be grateful for opinions on the following. I have an 1804 Bank of England Dollar in nice condition which has a hole near the edge. The coin shows some detail of the 8 Reales on which it was struck, including the date of the original coin. The hole is not at the top of the British King's head, where you might expect it, but in the vicinity of where the head on the donor coin would be. The raised edges around the hole have been flattened. This leads me to deduce that the hole was in the original coin before being re-struck and that the re-striking has flattened the edges of the original hole. How would one value such a coin?.
​Please pictures would be very usefull, for further help.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
From the detail on the 1804 Dollar I have ascertained the position of the hole on the 8 Reales would be as follows:
Wow nice coin
Quote: "tommo49"
If I am correct, it is believed that some holes on 1804 dollar coins were made for soldiers to carry on a rope.
The hole is too small to have been made for anything other than a fine chain or, perhaps, a thin piece of leather cord. From it's position on the original coin in the clear ground to the side of the Spanish monarch's head, and the fact that the edges of the hole appear flattened by the subsequent re-strike, I firmly believe this hole was made in the Spanish 8 Reales. Coupled with the remains of the original coin, still visible, I believe this adds extra interest & value to the coin rather than to detract from its value, as a holed coin would usually be viewed. The coin is therefore, as struck at the time, an 1804 Bank of England Dollar the same as if it had been struck on an incomplete planchard. Whilst it's true value may only be ascertained at auction, I would be interested in other collectors valued opinions.
Quote: "tommo49"​The hole is too small to have been made for anything other than a fine chain or, perhaps, a thin piece of leather cord. From it's position on the original coin in the clear ground to the side of the Spanish monarch's head, and the fact that the edges of the hole appear flattened by the subsequent re-strike, I firmly believe this hole was made in the Spanish 8 Reales. Coupled with the remains of the original coin, still visible, I believe this adds extra interest & value to the coin rather than to detract from its value, as a holed coin would usually be viewed. The coin is therefore, as struck at the time, an 1804 Bank of England Dollar the same as if it had been struck on an incomplete planchard. Whilst it's true value may only be ascertained at auction, I would be interested in other collectors valued opinions.
​I have to agree with your point of view on this coin.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Hello,

Like all collectors of south east european oldies, I find often those silver coins that were used as jewelry, to ornate clothe, and to be able to carry around savings (particularly women).
Here a Hungarian beauty:

and a half thaler from Salzburg:

It is indeed found all around the world. I have a Panamean 1905 50 centesimos that possibly spent time in an indian necklace, compared to another better sample (just .4 g difference between the 2) :

I also grade independently of the hole, which decreases the value between 20 and 50% depending on the hole. Good for me, then I can afford coins that have had a nice life.
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
I may be different than most of the collectors. I value coins concerning their history. For me a coin without scratches is less interesting because it was not used or did not "live" in the time, the coin was in use. This is the time I hold in my hands when looking at the coin though. Sounds crazy, but this is what coin collecting is for me. I want to have a reason to read about different cultures and times.
I find the idea, that someone used my coin for a certain time es neclace quite appealing. Makes it even more interesting! But I agree, market value is sth different...
Quote: "caesar1990"​I may be different than most of the collectors. I value coins concerning their history. For me a coin without scratches is less interesting because it was not used or did not "live" in the time, the coin was in use. This is the time I hold in my hands when looking at the coin though. Sounds crazy, but this is what coin collecting is for me. I want to have a reason to read about different cultures and times.
​I find the idea, that someone used my coin for a certain time es neclace quite appealing. Makes it even more interesting! But I agree, market value is sth different...
​I can definitely relate to this! Old used or holed coins are so fascinating! I like the more than UNC coins
Quote: "fourmack"
1873H NewFoundland G4 = $800us so whats it worth with the hole?
​(TRUTH) Its worth only what someone will pay for it.
​I was very glad to receive this coin as it fills another hole :D(get It) in my collection
​This is a good example of a coin that remains desirable even in low grade and holed. To take a random example, everybody can afford a 1965 Churchill crown, so a holed one is worthless. But when an 1873H Newfoundland 5¢ like this goes up for auction, many Canadian and Newfoundland collectors will see this as a chance to get a coin that they couldn't afford otherwise. The desirability, therefore, remains reasonably high, and I wouldn't be surprised if a coin like this would sell for about 50% of its value without the hole.

I have a few times lost scarce, but holed, Canadian colonial tokens because others were willing to bid quite a lot more than I did. What's more, in eBay and other such platforms, you don't get to know what the winner's maximum bid was; it might be quite a lot higher than the winning bid.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Ninebobnote"​If only this coin could talk, a hole lot of interesting stuff starting with the Bubonic plague.
​Likely it's a Charon's obol.
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "Camerinvs"
Quote: "fourmack"
​1873H NewFoundland G4 = $800us so whats it worth with the hole?
​​(TRUTH) Its worth only what someone will pay for it.
​​I was very glad to receive this coin as it fills another hole :D(get It) in my collection
​​This is a good example of a coin that remains desirable even in low grade and holed. To take a random example, everybody can afford a 1965 Churchill crown, so a holed one is worthless. But when an 1873H Newfoundland 5¢ like this goes up for auction, many Canadian and Newfoundland collectors will see this as a chance to get a coin that they couldn't afford otherwise. The desirability, therefore, remains reasonably high, and I wouldn't be surprised if a coin like this would sell for about 50% of its value without the hole.

​I have a few times lost scarce, but holed, Canadian colonial tokens because others were willing to bid quite a lot more than I did. What's more, in eBay and other such platforms, you don't get to know what the winner's maximum bid was; it might be quite a lot higher than the winning bid.
​Good to see some one agreeing - if its rare ---doesn't matter if it has a hole so long as YOU are happy with the coin and the price .
Price ---my was freeeeee:P
Still in my collection --hell yea and will not be sold:)
I think its still worth $100 at least
Cheers Don

Not sure what coin this is and could really use some help here please?!?! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Its clearly a seated liberty coin but the back side i cant seem to tell what kind. Dime, quarter, half-dollar, or dollar??? Not sure so please help me here
1864 seated coin could be 1/4 dollar but you need to check the size
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4942.html
Cheers Don
Quote: "Rjcsnc1221"

​Not sure what coin this is and could really use some help here please?!?! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

​ Its clearly a seated liberty coin but the back side i cant seem to tell what kind. Dime, quarter, half-dollar, or dollar??? Not sure so please help me here
​I’m not seeing an eagle on the reverse and the half-dime dates don’t match up, so I believe it’s a dime.
The diameter will tell you exactly what denomination it is.
It's either a dime or half dime. The wreath doesn't seem to meet at the top, so I'd say half dime.
You can see the bow on the back when you invert the image. It is an 1854, not an 1864 though. You can see the arrows on either side of the date, which only lasted 3 years (1853-55), and there is no "United States of America" on the front. There also looks to be the hint of the bottom of an O right above the bow, making it the New Orleans mint. If it is the same diameter as a modern dime, it's a dime. If it is a couple mm smaller, then it is a half dime. The diameter hasn't changed on modern dimes.

I grade the coin as normal and then note a hole or overstamp.

I don't mind holes, as I like coins for the stories they tell and it is a sideline to my militaria collecting anyway. I picked up a 1919 Luxembourg 25 centimes that had the "Duchy" ground off and "REPUBLIC" stamped in its place. Some people wouldn't like it being defaced, but I love it. In 1919, there was a referendum to decide the fate of the monarchy. Someone either made this coin to support the pro-republic faction before the vote or protest the results after. It is a story within a story. I think it adds to the value not detracts.
Now, I'm back to sorting out a Victoria Regina token with "WHYNOT" stamped on the back and a 1915 British half penny with "JMC" overstamped on the front. Any ideas?
I just found a 1/4 Real 1845 of Peru and it is holed. But not on a place to carry it as a jewel or pendant.
I noticed that a lot of these 1/4 Real coins of Peru are holed.
Even though my coin has a hole, the weight of the coin is 0.84 Gram. That is the correct weight for this coin.
Were these coins holed to have the correct weight?
As long as the hole isn't stamped out why should the coin lose weight? The material is simply pushed out of the way.
The hole is too big not to miss material of the original planchet

In my opinion a hole does affect the grade exactly the way other damage affects it.
In my Liverpool home
Simply put and which has been previously stated is that you should grade a holed coin as you would any other. The hole should be noted but only affects it's value and collectability and not it's grade.
I myself don't pay more than a dollar for a common holed coin. I put them all on a string and now I have a 10 pound rope :)
If the coin is rare enough or has lots of history behind it, i am not bothered by the hole tbh!
This is a 1/2 taler 1542 kaufbeuren !

Quote: "cpt"If the coin is rare enough or has lots of history behind it, i am not bothered by the hole tbh!
​This is a 1/2 taler 1542 kaufbeuren !

i have a coewulf penny with a hole but like yours it’s that rare it doesn’t matter
In my Liverpool home
Quote: "Offa"
Quote: "cpt"If the coin is rare enough or has lots of history behind it, i am not bothered by the hole tbh!
​​This is a 1/2 taler 1542 kaufbeuren !
​​
​​
​​
​​
​i have a coewulf penny with a hole but like yours it’s that rare it doesn’t matter
Congrats on yours! Same with my one, couldn’t find any past sales of this type and I’d rather have it like this than not at all!
Quote: "fourmack"1873H

​​​NewFoundland G4 = $800us so whats it worth with the hole?
​(TRUTH) Its worth only what someone will pay for it.
​I was very glad to receive this coin as it fills another hole :D(get It) in my collection
​​

​Yes!...
I think its not really about the hole, its about its rarity and antiquity and how the collector/buyer willing to pay for something he or she doesn't have yet for a memoiravilia collection item.

👍👍👍.
I like the NGC website when it comes to grading. They have a great description of the Sheldon grading scale

Coins with holes will not receive a number grading 1- 70, but they can get an adjectival details grading. Example: AU Details Holed.

Reference

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/details-grading/

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6434/
Interested and owner of various types of error coins.

They can be used as placeholders, until you find a coin without a hole.

Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

For me it depends on how old/rare the coin is, and how worn it looks. I normally stay away from them, but on rare occasions I'll find a really nice holed coin. One of my favourite coins is holed:

Just showing off my three King Charles kings lol. But yeah, it looks pretty decent for its age. I'd argue it being holed probably helped keep it from circulating too much. 

I don’t generally buy coins with holes unless they are extremely scarce, one such purchase was the Queen Anne Edinburgh sixpence 

In my Liverpool home

I'd say if the hole doesn't affect the overall appearance and value too much, go ahead and grade it normally. Some collectors might not mind, especially if the coin is rare or special.

Saw this post was still recently active so I thought I’d post my rare 1809 capped bust dime (I have the entire series except 1822 and 1829 curl base 2.

What would you pay for this if you were a collector of the series with a reasonable budget?https://imgur.com/a/ykmNBKo

Please post the photo, since a lot of people won't open a link (including me).

I sold this holed 1807 a while ago:

A lot of collectors on coin forums will say that holed coins aren't worth more than bullion, but this one was 😉 (something like 7,000% over bullion). 

Sorry I tried adding pics and it errored out due to being jpeg.  Of course now it lets me.  Rookie mistake I guess.

soonernstlouis

Sorry I tried adding pics and it errored out due to being jpeg.  Of course now it lets me.  Rookie mistake I guess.

edited to say love the draped bust series dimes.  My Dansco bust folder has slots for them but I’m not eager to go 4-figures on each coin.

eBay is the best price reference for U.S. coins in lower grades.  You can find a holed example that sold recently for a bit over $200.

You probably found mine (lol) as that’s about what I paid.  There were 2 “woodchipper accident” varieties that went for more so I’m happy with the price I paid.

I went back and looked, yes that's yours. 

There were three bidders above $200, so sounds like at least threee people agree on the value.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:08.