1889 Santiago de Chile mint, 2 decimos Ecuador silver coin

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Dear friends:

Hello there, I'm a Chilean guy but I've been living the last 18 years in Ecuador, hence having both citizenships. I just found a 2 décimos de sucre from Ecuador. This is a silver coin 0.900 lei minted in Santiago de Chile. However, on the Numista Catalogue, it doesn't appear my variation, which is from 1889 but it has a mintage error; it says "Republiga del Ecuador" instead of "Republica del Ecuador". So I would like to know whether this was a mintage error or am I having a fake coin?! I have searched all around the internet and cannot find any reference to a 1889 Santiago de Chile mintage error for that coin.

Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.

Check the images as follows (2 scans and 2 taken with the cellphone camera):

绳锯木断,水滴石穿
Perseverance is the key for success
Very interesting.

My Krause has no image of that particular mint but I found this on the Internet showing the proper spelling

http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Ecuador_1889-So_DT_2_decimos

although this next link could be republiGa

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ec/MEC-407692652-moneda-decimal-ecuador-dos-decimos-1889-santiago-chile-_JM
Roy, the second link looks like a RepubliCa
I could not find a Republiga. For me, it looks real and it is clearly a G, or a C with a little horizontal line
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Quote: "PetrusAscanus"​Roy, the second link looks like a RepubliCa
​I could not find a Republiga. For me, it looks real and it is clearly a G, or a C with a little horizontal line
​Thanks Petrus
It is becoming even more intriguing!
I already tried the magneto test and it's not magnetic, so I think it's real silver. Also it has a special ringing sound. Anyway I haven't weighted to prove it's 5g. I'll try that test later.
绳锯木断,水滴石穿
If it is not magnetic does not proof it is silver.
Other silver-like metal can be non magnetic.
It sould be a crystal clear sound.
Than you can do the ice test or tissue test or denstity test

https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/measure-a-coin-s-density-27.html
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic4060.html
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Regarding the sound, yes it's very crispy and high pitched sound like "cling cling". Compared with other coins of the same size and ordinary kind of metal, the sounds is much more like crystal. I failed to weight the coin because I lack a precise weighting machine, only have the ordinary body weighting machine which is not accurate enough to show the grams. So, this lacking also discards doing the density test. But I think the ice test is quite possible to do. I'll do it tonight because right now I'm at the office, coin's at home.
Thanks very much for these suggestions.
绳锯木断,水滴石穿
Dear friends, I just did the ice tests several times to be sure and after doing It was very clear to me. When I put this coin in ice, in a matter of 1.5 seconds the finger side of the coin becomes chilling cold, very cold just like the ice. I did the test with 1 Sacagawea USA dollar as well and just like the silver coin, after 1.5 or at most 2 seconds it becomes chilling cold as well. I did then the test with a USA quarter and only after like 8 or 10 seconds it becomes chilling cold. I did the test with a USA nickel and after 10 seconds it becomes cold but not chilling, in fact never chilling. The finger side always retain some heat. So, a free these tests it was very clear to me that the metal is quite conducting as silver.
绳锯木断,水滴石穿
OK, in order to be sure I did again the ice test but this time with my 5 sucres silver coin of 1944. This is a huge coin of 25g of 0.720 silver. I realized is a very similar behaviour compared with the coin of this case, but it was slightly slower. After 2 seconds the finger side became chilling cold. Maybe the slower response is due to the bigger size of the coin (25 grams) or because the silver lei is inferior (0.720) but very similar anyway. I wanted to compare this test with other big coins I have in order to have a better analysis, so I tested the Kennedy Half Dollar from USA and I noticed that after 8 seconds more or less it becomes chilling cold. I did my final test with Mexico 1000 pesos of 1988 which is big as well but this one proved to be very slow. After 10 or more seconds it became cold but not chilly and I left the coin there for more time and never became really chilling cold. This time I noticed that the 5 sucres silver coin and the half dollar, after they became chilling cold, they started to melt the ice and created like a cave with the shape of the coin. However the Mexico 1000 pesos never did so.

OK, so those are my results of the tests. I'm an Electronic and Telecommunications Engineer so I tried to do the tests as accurate as possible.
绳锯木断,水滴石穿
Another opinion anyone???
绳锯木断,水滴石穿
Hello,

What about weight and density ?
You said you would try to get them. See https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/measure-a-coin-s-density-27.html

When you look carefully at the C/G doesn't it look lok some metal was added to a C to make a G ? Pic is not clear enough to make sure ...

Regards,
André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Hello friends, sorry for the late reply but finally I bought a scale for myself and followed the density operation. So the results are as follows:

I measured the coin and weighs 4.80g:

Then I measured the glass with water and with the clip and pressed tare in order to make it zero. Then I put the coin in the clip and measured the weight like this and gave me 0.47g:

Finally I used the tool to calculate the density and gives me 10.21:

I took some photos of the part that shows the "G" and I think it's pretty clear that no material was put over the "C". You can compare a full "C" from the word Ecuador and can realize "G" and "C" are absolutely different:

I look forward for your comments.
绳锯木断,水滴石穿
Quote: "PetrusAscanus"Roy, the second link looks like a RepubliCa
I could not find a Republiga. For me, it looks real and it is clearly a G, or a C with a little horizontal line
The second link looks to me like a C too, so that RepubliGa seems very special:

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:27.