Mega coin for Christmas!

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Just kidding, it's a wall hanging that my sister carved for me, I think she did a pretty decent job, here's what the actual coin looks like

Wow, that's really cool!
That is awesome!

What did she carve it out of?

I've been wanting to do that for ages, ever since I saw this http://www.skrekkogle.com/50c.html but never knew quite where to start.
Although this one's milled rather than hand carved.
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
Looks fake to me.

:wiz:
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
That is a cool gift. You have a nice sister.
She did a really great job!
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
It's just carved out of a circle of fibreboard and then painted silver. She just started carving a few months ago and is self taught so it's not bad for an early effort. I really love the reeding round the edge of the coin.

Our Granddad died a few months ago and he had a garage full of tools as he was a fitter and turner and used to carve decorative walking sticks as a hobby. We all picked up some of the tools (most he had made himself and she claimed his carving tools. Great to see she's putting them to good use.
That's a nice situation out of a sad one. Your sister has done a great job. Is it going into your coin den!?
I'll probably hang it on the wall behind the computer.....now to see if she can do me a florin.
Quote: "neilithic"​I'll probably hang it on the wall behind the computer.....now to see if she can do me a florin.
​Which type?
This one of course ;)

Indeed very nice gift !!! Congratulations !

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:51.