Austrian Coins 1600-1900

3 posts
I am working to identify some of my Austrian and Hungarian coins. With modern coins, minor variations have different KM #s. Is that true with these older coins? An example is my 1761NB 20 Kreuzer. KM#2028 on the obverse lettering FRANC·D·G·R·IMP·S·A·GE·IER·REX·LO·B·M·H·D has the "GE" after the leaves @ 12:00. My coin has the "GE"before the leaves @ 12:00. On the Reverse KM #2028 there are 12 leaves on the lower left side twig between the wing and the "IN TE DO" lettering while mine has 5 leaves. Are there these kinds of variations within each KB# with these older coins?
Hello,

No, there is much variation for those older coins. Krause pools them under usually coherent types, but sometimes, the variation behind the words "varieties exist" is very very large :D

We try to document them in the catalogue but are often not yet in there.

The best when you have doubts is to send me a picture on this forum, eventually send me a PM to get confirmation. If your coin is a variant, then it will be great to add the info and the picture in the "comments" field of the sheet.

In the specific case you mention, variants are already documented. I can add yours if you send me a good picture, or add it as text. Coins minted for >10 years in 6-8 different places will always have that sort of variants (different mints).

Regards,

André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Thank you very much for the information. I will send photos after they are all identified.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:11.