Pay it forward

22 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Today I gave away about 250 coins to a local school, maybe the coins total worth were about $400 to $500. I talked to the assistant principal of the school, and she was exited about the coins; when I dropped them off she told me she had already talked to a few teachers and they were really happy about getting the coins. I believe that coins are a great way to teach children about geography. She thanked me, and I said I hoped they would enjoy the coins.

I feel good about this. Pay it forward. There is more to life than money. Coin collecting is not about money to me. It is about beauty, rarity and quality. And that is what I am about from here on out.

I tried to trade coins on here, and I had every intention to swap good coins for the like, but I am much happier giving these coins away. I detest the dirt bags that are nothing but about cheating, making a profit, and trading lousy coins in the hope of getting better ones in return. Not for me. I would rather give coins away than to deal with dirt bags.

Why am I on Numista then? It is the best software I've come across on the internet for keeping track of coins. I also like the forum. So that's why I am staying.

But from now on, I am going to buy coins that I can look at in person, with a loupe of 5 to 10X.

It is better to have one good coin than several average ones.
Great idea, the guy at my local shop had a kilo bag last time I went in, I might go and get it next school day.
Quote: "frncsbrennan"... I detest the dirt bags that are nothing but about cheating, making a profit, and trading lousy coins in the hope of getting better ones in return. Not for me. I would rather give coins away than to deal with dirt bags.
​...

​Hello,

++ for the school stuff. Great idea. Hope it lasts.

Just wanted to know: does that reflect your swapping experience ?
I have black listed, maybe 4-5 persons from > 100 swaps, people sending crappy coins, or as you say, wanting to make profit. But far from majority. Now I exchange systematically pics, and that works fine. I also feel more comfortable.
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Don't forget the boys scouts. frncsbrennan that is great iam in the same boat. iam only swaping with people I know.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Nice touch frncsbrennan.

Your actions reflect well on all of us here on Numista.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Perhaps give the school a few sites to look up the coins...including this one of course, we may get a few new young enthusiastic members out of it.
"Just wanted to know: does that reflect your swapping experience ?"

Not all. About half were OK. Plus, there are other factors. The cost of postage, the debating over coins, and so on. Maybe, I am just not suited to swapping coins by mail. I am happy that the school was so glad to get the coins I donated. And, as Neilithic mentioned, it is not a bad ideal and it may promote a few coin collectors, too.
I got a kilo bag of coins from my local coin guy today, I'll pass them off to the school next time I get a chance.
What a cool idea! A school could use different coins to teach so many subjects. Plus it may start more new collectors. I am amazed at the amount of under 25 members. My other forum, most people fear coin collecting is dying out. Over here members are so young, I feel very old, and I am 53.
sadly:

frncsbrennan has unsubscribed. He/She is not a member of Numista anymore.
Quote: "pocket change 50"​What a cool idea! A school could use different coins to teach so many subjects. Plus it may start more new collectors. I am amazed at the amount of under 25 members. My other forum, most people fear coin collecting is dying out. Over here members are so young, I feel very old, and I am 53.
​I'm out of that demographic now :( I'm 25 & over !

Feeling like life is flying over !
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"
Quote: "pizzifini"​sadly:
​​
​​frncsbrennan has unsubscribed. He/She is not a member of Numista anymore.

​​maybe he got arrested after walking into schools and giving treats to small kids?
​Haha. No, I just changed my account. I am still a member. I wanted a fresh start. I gave away a lot of coins, plus I was going through some substance abuse issues which I have since straightened out. I'm sure I'm not the first or the last to have this type of issue. Don't drink and drive, and especially don't drink and try to swap-I suppose. I am more than a fair trader, but will not be doing much of it in the future. If I do it will be just in the U.S. because of postal costs. Frank J Hammer is my real name.

And I see you are one of those sickos who think that if somebody does something to help kids that means there is something wrong with them. No, I gave the coins to the principal of the school, whom I had called first, and she said she would be excited to get them. I also gave her my name, address and phone number. She told me the teachers were excited about getting the coins. So get on your horse, deep thinker-or should I say hamster or gerbil?

And if there is any rule I broke in changing my account since I see you are a referee, take me off the website. I am sure I can find another one to work with. I like numista because the software is excellent, it has an extensive list of all world coins and is the easiest site to use that I have come across. But maybe I'll just join the ANA.
coin collecting is fun.
Hello Frank,
I'm sorry for Muenzenhamster's words. I'm happy generous people like you are using Numista. There is no rule against closing account and opening a new one when it's not for cheating on swaps. Please just keep enjoing whichever part of Numista you like, and don't pay too much attention to offensive words on the forum.
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello Frank,
​I'm sorry for Muenzenhamster's words. I'm happy generous people like you are using Numista. There is no rule against closing account and opening a new one when it's not for cheating on swaps. Please just keep enjoing whichever part of Numista you like, and don't pay too much attention to offensive words on the forum.
​Thank you, Xavier. I appreciate your understanding, advice and prompt response.
coin collecting is fun.
​I'm sorry for Muenzenhamster's words. I'm happy generous people like you are using Numista. There is no rule against closing account and opening a new one when it's not for cheating on swaps. Please just keep enjoing whichever part of Numista you like, and don't pay too much attention to offensive words on the forum.

Yea man, I agree, there is always someone that is going to try and get you down, just ignore the trolls and keep to the positive posts. There are plenty of amazing collectors on the forum to let a couple bad comments keep you away.
Giving to the next generation is one of the most rewarding things we can do.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Hello Frank, I was sad when I thought you left!
Now I am happy to see that you are still here

People like you are not what is needed on Numista, they are people that are needed in the whole world.
Thank you so much for giving those kids an opportunity.

I think that is a wonderful idea, and so kind of you!
Thanks....
coin collecting is fun.
​<sigh> just back from a suspension and already causing trouble? I guess some people just don't learn.
Quote: "neilithic"
​​I'm sorry for Muenzenhamster's words. I'm happy generous people like you are using Numista. There is no rule against closing account and opening a new one when it's not for cheating on swaps. Please just keep enjoing whichever part of Numista you like, and don't pay too much attention to offensive words on the forum.
​​<sigh> just back from a suspension and already causing trouble? I guess some people just don't learn.
​Amen to that......

Welcome back frank, I have had positive dealings with you before. I am glad to see anyone who improves on their quality of life with the determination to strive at being a better person. ;)
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
You're a good man Frank and I'm glad you are still around. Sincerely best wishes to you in dealing with those demons.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Hello Frank
Happy you are back. If I remember right you are a US cent man,They are the best.You know penny and cents nuts. Now I can only talk about my own Life. But when iam in a dark area my humor comes out , well I call it dark humor. Don't let it get to you. I think this is a big part of the issue. People are people ,you are you, just be you. You have to live with yourself not them. If you are happy what does it matter. I have given away a lot of coins. And I like doing it. And will continue to do so. I think it was a good decision a good clean break. Keep your head up,and look beyond and trash. There are so great people here and this is a great site. And pay it forward is a great way to be. And if you let it , it does come back to you. In the end is it not better to gave someone a smile than a dollar in your pocket. But do what you feel is right. You will know if it right or wrong.
It is, what it is, or is it.
I would just like to thank all of you for your support and kind words. Coin collecting gives me a lot of enjoyment
coin collecting is fun.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:44.