USA Bicentennial tokens/medals

5 posts
Hi. I've just bought 3 first day covers. Each one has a coin (token/medal) commemorating the American Revolution.

One (photos below) is identical to https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36827.html

The first day covers are dated 1973, 1975 and 1976. The coins all appear to be in the same series. However, the have a slight golden (gilt) colour rather than being silver. I didn't buy them as silver coins but the only listing on this website is a silver version. There are information cards in all of the first day covers but they explain the history and say nothing about the coins. Can anyone shed any light on this. Maybe they are silver and this is normal toning, maybe they are another metal or maybe plated. I have no idea. As I say, I didn't buy them on the basis that they were silver and I am just trying to find out more information and also decide whether I need to add them to the catalogue.

Thanks

Hopefully, the following will answer your questions...

The ARBA series of commemorative medals began in 1972 and ended in 1976; a distinct design was used for each year. In 1972, only bronze medals were issued; from 1973 through 1976, bronze AND silver medals were issued.

The bronze medals were offered in two packaging options each year: 1) housed in a small plastic hinged case, and 2) in a philatelic-numismatic cover (PNC) which included a block of four Bicentennial stamps. The medals in the plastic cases are dated for the year of their issue; the medals in the PNCs are not dated.

The bronze medals in the plastic cases sold for $3.50; the medals in the PNCs sold for $5.00. In case you were wondering, the 1973 silver medals sold for $10 each; the price was raised to $15 each for the 1974 through 1976 issues.

All of the medals, bronze and silver, were struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

Compliments of Coin Community site. Ed
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
Thank you very much for the information edduns. I have such a 1975 bronze medal in a plastic case since almost 40 years. I don't collect medals so I never checked yet what it was, but now I know.
Hi Edduns. Thank you very much for the information. I have 3 difference PNC each, as you say, with 4 stamps. I think I got a good deal so happy.

In terms of the website's catalogue: the 1973 medal is duplicated in the catalogue (I've posted in the forum), the 1975 is only listed in the silver version and the 1976 one isn't listed at all. I can upload photos and I can create the 1976 listing. Should there be a separate catalogue listing for silver and bronze versions or one catalogue listing per year that gives silver and bronze as variants?

Thanks for your help
Should there be a separate catalogue listing for silver and bronze versions or one catalogue listing per year that gives silver and bronze as variants?

Catalogue listing per year that gives silver and bronze as variants? that sounds like good sense - but - ask the ref. for the USA coins. Ed
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:16.