Additions to your collection May 2016

86 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello, Just got from ebay for just $18 + free shipping
Shahi. Safavid Muhammad Khudabandah AH985-995 AR Shahi. Zagem Mint / GEORGIA/

Other additions of recent days:
Georgia under Mongols . Tiflis Mint. Uljaitu khan

Georgia . Saint Queen Tamar ( 1184 - 1213) Irregular very odd copper Fels, made from two other smaller ones, coverd by copper tape, and restruck again over it !

Georgia . Saint Queen Tamar ( 1184 - 1213) Irregular copper Fels with classic 6-roses obverse and "D" c/mark, but 5-line reverse.

And , finally , Queen Rusudan of Georgia. AE fels, with c/m Ф and cracked during countermarkimng !

What is better find to open the monthly topic than nice oldies?
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Nothing for me yet. No post today it's a bank holiday !:8D

Got home to find this Awesome gift in the mail when I got home from work! I must say its a pretty nice feeling to get something unexpected. There was no note, so I guess this is a coin note? Thanks Papprika!
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
A few additions today

A beautiful old Netherlands Guilden

and a 1 cent coin to compliment it

A great German States coin from Nassau

And finally a children's souvenir token from the 1901 royal visit to New Zealand

Despite having coins on the way (some good ones too) I have 4 for the month of May.. The first being a nice cheap little Newfoundland 10c which has rekindled my love for the Canadian provincial coins (here we go again)

I bought myself some Indian coins the other day too and they came really fast !
1700's Bombay 1 pice

1806 Madras 10 Cash

A Shah Alam II rupee which I've not identified yet exactly.

The last piece to complete my 10 kronor collection.
10 Kronor 1991 coin alignment!

Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "redsmithstudios"
​Got home to find this Awesome gift in the mail when I got home from work! I must say its a pretty nice feeling to get something unexpected. There was no note, so I guess this is a coin note? Thanks Papprika!
​Russian wire coins?
A George IV 1826 Shilling and a Shogunate Japan 4 Mon coin.

Here's one I've wanted for years now and I'm over the moon to have one ! They were minted in error by the Royal mint who assumed because Nova Scotia ordered 1 & 1/2 cents that New Brunswick wanted the same but due to the way NB pegged their dollar there was no need for a half cent. Most pieces were melted but some found their way to Halifax.

Quote: "Mark240590" Most pieces were melted but some found their way to Halifax.

​I'll bet that set you back a quid or two
Quote: "neilithic"
Quote: "Mark240590" Most pieces were melted but some found their way to Halifax.
​​

​​I'll bet that set you back a quid or two
​yeah mate, more than I care to quote three figures. I'm just releasing as much funds into my coins as I can until the wedding as she's also talking about having kids. There's still a lot of coins for sub £100 I can collect especially Canadian but I'm keeping those to see me through the dark days ;) ha
Quote: "Mark240590"
Quote: "neilithic"

​​​
​​
​​
​​​I'll bet that set you back a quid or two
​​yeah mate, more than I care to quote three figures. I'm just releasing as much funds into my coins as I can until the wedding as she's also talking about having kids. There's still a lot of coins for sub £100 I can collect especially Canadian but I'm keeping those to see me through the dark days ;) ha

Congratulations on the impending doomsday! I know exactly how you feel, it's why I'm going so crazy now. Never know what's around the corner :D
Recently got two Shillings

English King William III 1696 Shilling and a British Queen Anne 1707 Shilling.

The Queen Anne shilling is particularly interesting as it was minted in Edinburgh. Making it one of the first coins minted of a politically united Great Britain and one of the last coins minted in Scotland (I believe the Edinburgh mint stopped minting coins in 1709 or 1710).
Low quantity, high quality is my new motto. My aim for each month is now to pick up 1 South African coin, 1 Half crown, and 1 florin/maundy set each month.

My SA aim for this month was to pick up a high quality single or double shaft 1892 5 shillings. That doesn't seem to be happening, so I just closed a deal on this coin instead.

Another rare coin: Sweden, 5 Kronor 1991 U (instead of D)

Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "oggy"​Low quantity, high quality is my new motto. My aim for each month is now to pick up 1 South African coin, 1 Half crown, and 1 florin/maundy set each month.

​My SA aim for this month was to pick up a high quality single or double shaft 1892 5 shillings. That doesn't seem to be happening, so I just closed a deal on this coin instead.

​pattern. Very nice high hundreds there !
Quote: "oggy"​Low quantity, high quality is my new motto. My aim for each month is now to pick up 1 South African coin, 1 Half crown, and 1 florin/maundy set each month.
​​
​​My SA aim for this month was to pick up a high quality single or double shaft 1892 5 shillings. That doesn't seem to be happening, so I just closed a deal on this coin instead.
​​
​​

​​pattern. Very nice high hundreds there !

Thanks! :)Hoping to add a griquatown and Transvaal one in the following months. (Still need the ZAR 5 shillings though, so that's a priority!)
Quote: "oggy"

​​​
​​​My SA aim for this month was to pick up a high quality single or double shaft 1892 5 shillings. That doesn't seem to be happening, so I just closed a deal on this coin instead.
​​​
​​​

​​​pattern. Very nice high hundreds there !
​​
​Thanks! :)Hoping to add a griquatown and Transvaal one in the following months. (Still need the ZAR 5 shillings though, so that's a priority!)
​there's one on eBay for a grand an a half ha !
I've eventually bought a gothic florin !

Some new additions to my Japnese collection and 2 for my Austro-Hungarian one.
Quote: "Mark240590"​I've eventually bought a gothic florin !

My word :o I still don't have any of the gothic florins or crowns; I'm kind of leaving them until last due to price. (though my numista list seems to indicate I have one so may have to check ;/) I love that portrait though ! And that's a very nice solid VF for me

(edit: as suspected my florin is JH not Gothic. I was such an ignoramus a month ago!)
It's actually PCGS AU53 ! Ha

ill swap you it for the cape of good hope penny. I've not seen one for over a year now :(
Quote: "Mark240590"​It's actually PCGS AU53 ! Ha

​ill swap you it for the cape of good hope penny. I've not seen one for over a year now :(

PGCS AU seems to be a VF+ over here :O It's crazy how you see slabbed coins at auction with auctioneer notes saying 'This is slabbed XF45/AU53, but in our opinion is a VF+' etc . You could argue that's an XF reverse and VF obv, but AU???

I'd swap it for a gothic crown, not a florin! I'm still on the hunt for the Transvaal and Orange Free State ones and am closing in on an undated griquatown. Have you seen Andrey's collection? he has some beautiful ones, including the 1874 and 1890 patterns and the dated Griquatown if I remember right.

I need to check your swap list now!
I would have said a good very fine maybe creeping int extra fine. American grading is so horrible. What even is about uncirculated ? It is either circulated or not. End of discussion ha !
Two Canadian upgrades came the other day that I forgot about !

Good detail in Vicky's head on the 2nd one!

Couldn't resist this for the price so I won't pick up a florin/maundy set this month. Apparently they are pretty rare and often go in the thousands+.

c1670~ Pine tree shilling

Awesome ! Another piece out of reach.

My dewas 1/4 Anna turned up. Not a high grade but they're hard to come by ! Along with a Bombay pice.

Awesome ! Another piece out of reach.

My dewas 1/4 Anna turned up. Not a high grade but they're hard to come by ! Along with a Bombay pice.

​​​
​​​My SA aim for this month was to pick up a high quality single or double shaft 1892 5 shillings. That doesn't seem to be happening, so I just closed a deal on this coin instead.
​​​
​​​

​​​pattern. Very nice high hundreds there !
​​
​Thanks! :)Hoping to add a griquatown and Transvaal one in the following months. (Still need the ZAR 5 shillings though, so that's a priority!)
​Very nice!
I have a Qriquatown coin comming up for sale at Auction in NOV-DEC but start price is 1000€
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
5 new Medals and Tokens for me in May:`

If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Nice additions especially 3rd medal which is gorgeous. How much you paid for them?
All around 20-80€
Napoleonic medal was a birthday gift
Decent prices for those beauties. B)
I have not bought anything for ages, and just now won these 23 lovely Conder / other tokens ...

'Joblot Collection of Tokens Coins 17th 18th Century Nice Set'

I had to twice brighten the images as the seller's images were rather dark,
and I see some I already have and some I do not. Will know more when they arrive. :)
Quote: "ZacUK"​ I have not bought anything for ages, and just now won these 23 lovely Conder / other tokens ...

​'Joblot Collection of Tokens Coins 17th 18th Century Nice Set'

​ I had to twice brighten the images as the seller's images were rather dark,
​and I see some I already have and some I do not. Will know more when they arrive. :)

​Nice last one...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6171.html
And spotted some Canadian provincial tokens too (Lower Canada, Nova Scotia...)
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Picked-up a Jersey 1894 1/12 Shilling

Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
I picked up two New Zealand trade tokens.

A pretty rough Auckland Victuallers association

and a better copy of a Professor Holloway token

As some may know I really like my British trade dollars but mostly so when they're chop marked !

this is my second chopped type now :)

That is a serious number of chop marks your coin has collected there
Quote: "neilithic"​That is a serious number of chop marks your coin has collected there
​haha yeah some people have really gone to town on it ;)

im intrigued by by the one in the middle of Britannia, the rounded one, not normally the type of chop you see !
Quote: "apuking"​5 new Medals and Tokens for me in May

​Those are AWESOME!!!!!
Quote: "JRo69"
Quote: "apuking"​5 new Medals and Tokens for me in May
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​

​​Those are AWESOME!!!!!
​I agree..... beautiful designs :love:
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
My newest addition, a gold Unite of James I of the united crowns of Scotland, England, and Ireland.

Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
Quote: "Roublizer"​My newest addition, a gold Unite of James I of the united crowns of Scotland, England, and Ireland.

I love the Unites! Fairly reasonable prices too. Are you building an english hammered gold collection, or did you just pick it up randomly?
One more fresh from today :O

Still have to identify it and find out whats written on it though.
Quote: "Roublizer"​My newest addition, a gold Unite of James I of the united crowns of Scotland, England, and Ireland.
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​I love the Unites! Fairly reasonable prices too. Are you building an english hammered gold collection, or did you just pick it up randomly?
​This one I picked up randomly, but I'd love to build a collection of hammered gold from the Isles if they weren't so expensive.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
The 23 tokens I showed above (cost £32 total), three days ago, arrived today ...

which when I opened the envelope I worried when the empty holders fell out first; but the
seller kindly included them. Though the envelope did rattle, which gave away that there
were coins/tokens inside. Then I saw the card and firstly thought they were all taped to it, but
instead I saw it was just the bag they were in. If it were me I would have left them in the
individual holders, to prevent rattling or damage. Other than that I am happy.
I made five pairs of images, showing both sides.

#A These are not immediately identifiable - will see if I can make out any lettering >
1 Square with rounded edges 23mm [Some lettering but not easy to make out]
2 Very corroded 25mm [Some lettering but not easy to make out]
3 Very thin with gold colour patch 25mm [Some lettering but not easy to make out]
4 10-sided 22mm [HOTEL ROYAL BOULOGNE S.M. RUE DE L'ECU]
5 Very thin 23mm [Some lettering but not easy to make out]
6 Imitation Spade Guinea 25mm [1790 GEORGIVS III DEI GRATIA.]

#B I think I already have these; will need to check to see if these are varieties of mine >
1 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces81404.html 1812 Union Copper Company One Penny
2 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces42764.html 1791 St. Andrew Half Penny
3 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces52960.html 1790 Iohn Wilkinson Half Penny
4 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18006.html 1787 Druid's head One Penny

​​​​#C I also have these already, but I like them so will keep them anyway >

1 [Not yet in Numista] 1795 Iohn Wilkinson 29mm
2 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces43849.html 1794 Bath Token Half Penny
3 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces78955.html [Undated] Palmer's Mail Coach Half Penny
4 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces80685.html 1796 Swansea Token Half Penny

#D I don't think I have these; will need to check >

1 [Not yet in Numista] 1795 Beccles Token 28mm
2 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces86164.html 1794 Thomas Hardy Half Penny
3 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces53394.html 1794 Freemasons Half Penny
4 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23485.html 1794 Elizabeth I Half Penny

#E Also maybe I don't have these either >

1 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2540.html 1837 City Bank Half Penny
2 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4913.html 1832 Nova Scotia Half Penny
3 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6171.html 1789 Stad Utrecht (1 Duit)
4 [Not yet in Numista] 1795 Bristol Token 28mm
5 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82284.html 1815 Canadian Provinces Half Penny

I added Numista links (below each picture group) as and when I found them.
Apart from the first group, there are three to add to the site. :)
Just got a Portuguese India 1881 1/2 Rupee

Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
Got this Prussian coin for very cheap price this month, very glad with it. =)

I just took this nice Falklands banknote out of my mailbox. It's in a pretty rough shape, but I'm very pleased with because these notes are pretty hard to come by and the price was not too high! :)

"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
My fiancée being the excited little kid couldn't wait to give me my birthday present on Tuesday as I'm on an awkward shift.

Im over the moon with it. i prefer the normal Jody Clark than the type that's on the proof versions. My coin in the pics..

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72682.html
Finally got myself one of these...

Nothin' fancy, a 2010 Chinese 1 yuan. Except that it was in the return slot of a Coinstar machine in central Ohio. I really wish I knew how it got there.

The Coinstars around here have been really kind to me in the last year -- some miscellaneous foreign copper and white metal pieces, a couple 90% silver Roosevelt dimes, and a complete PDS set of 1943 steel pennies.
"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of success versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid -- and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater: The Movie
7 coins to receive:
  • pack 1 (on the way, from Spain): Castilla Blanca Henrique IV
  • pack 2 (to be dealt in hand as dealer in my department): Mediomatrici bronze, City of Metz Angevine and Riom Alphonse of France Denier Tournois
  • pack 3 (to be paid): Senones potin, 2 Principality of Dombes Denier Tournois (type to be ID as lots of varieties)
EDIT
2 more packs:
  • pack 4: Roman "Gallic" Empire Antoninianus Tetricus I
  • pack 5: Roman Empire Constantinopolis commemorative Nummus

2 silver I got from a auction, and a 5 kr i found in my change.
Did you find that 5 Kronor really in your change? I didn't know these still circulate and from what I can tell your coin looks to be in a pretty decent shape!
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
They still circulate, but never found one in this condition before.
I've got a few ideas then in change, and they are all in surprisingly good condition. Unfortunately I still haven't found one without the stripes. :(
Quote: "Mark240590"​My fiancée being the excited little kid couldn't wait to give me my birthday present on Tuesday as I'm on an awkward shift.

​Im over the moon with it. i prefer the normal Jody Clark than the type that's on the proof versions. My coin in the pics..

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72682.html
​That's really nice!
Quote: "bam777"
Quote: "Mark240590"​My fiancée being the excited little kid couldn't wait to give me my birthday present on Tuesday as I'm on an awkward shift.
​​
​​Im over the moon with it. i prefer the normal Jody Clark than the type that's on the proof versions. My coin in the pics..
​​
​​https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72682.html
​​That's really nice!
​thanks, I'm over the moon with it. She knew I wanted one with it being a special date. I've decided to send it to PCGS for slabbing to protect it as I want to display it at home :)
Few additions this month....

1844 1/2 Farthing (with strange double strike letters or on letter over another, this will go in ID forum for opinions)

Isle of Man Halfpenny 1839

Norway 10 Ore 1878

Denmark 2 Skilling 1677

1826 Gilded George IV Shilling with loop mount. (My next project is to remove the loop)

Small 9.5kg lot to sift through. If you see any coins you would like, tell me and I will hold them for you.
(click image, then right click the larger pop out image and select open in new tab/window. This is because the forum pop out image size is restricted.)

I have a few others, like farthings varying from 1830 to 1890 as well.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
An uncommon satyric coin from Napoleon III with an owl head on the reverse.

Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
Here are the 1st coins:

From left to right:
  1. France - Feudal: Denier Tournois - Alphonse of France (County of Riom)
  2. Lorraine: Angevine with St. Stephan head (City of Metz)
  3. Gaul: Bronze with a griffin (Mediomatrici)
  4. Rome: Nummus - Constantinopolis commemorative (Trier mint, type 3)
Here is one I have been looking for for several years.
Very common coin but this one has medal alignment :8D

I guess the strike weakness at the bottom too?
Quote: "chomp-master"​I guess the strike weakness at the bottom too?
​Unfortunately you cannot be too picky with such coins...
I was pretty sure about this.
EDIT: useless answer (repetition)
Nice little eclectic mix just arrived

1830 and 1884 farthings from Britain...both nice despite the awful scans

1916 sixpence from Britain

South African 1896 Kruger half crown (way better than it looks)

East Africa 1933 10 cents

Austria 1881 Kreuzer

India 1876 rupee

A pretty much uncirculated New Zealand 1933 threepence (again much nicer than the scan looks)

And finally, a token issued in 1948 to celebrate the centenary of my home province. They're interesting little things these. Around 25,000 were minted, 22,500 were given to children of the region and the other 2,500 were sold. I picked it up for NZ$2 (equivalent to about UK 90p or US $1.40)

My jealously levels are rising at this thread. :( There's a couple of big auctions at the start of next month here that I'm saving for, so I've been unable to buy for ages!
Quote: "oggy"​My jealously levels are rising at this thread. :( There's a couple of big auctions at the start of next month here that I'm saving for, so I've been unable to buy for ages!
​What is the link to said auctions ? :°
That's the reason why I initially started the bargain finds threads and then these additions to your collection threads...what's the point of buying something nice if you can't show it off to someone? ;)
Well, I finally gave in and spent a tenner.

1915 Half Crown. VF+/XF- for me. Not great or anything, but it's a date I don't have.

After really long break with adding coins

RAS AL KHAIMA

Spanish states - Blanca - Enrique IV de Castilla (diamond type) - Segovia mint

New country spotted
how can a state be a new country?
As they're listed separately, as medieval states during the Reconquista. Spain did not exist as a united nation before the Reyes Catolicos married.

Enrique IV was one of the last (maybe the last) King of Castille before this unification.
Surely they should be amalgamated like the German stated though?
Looks like May is farthings month. I picked up two more beautiful coins for my collection and one for swaps. 1893 for swaps, then 1901 for my collection

and 1903

May best addition arrived today, a medal, so called Vernon medal. I love it.

For my boats collection (see some there https://fr.numista.com/forum/topic47038.html)
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Quote: "Ecapoe"​May best addition arrived today, a medal, so called Vernon medal. I love it.

​ Wow - I love it too!! :love:
Lovely Vernon medal, I was after one for a long time but still didn't get to have one:D
Quote: "Ecapoe"​May best addition arrived today, a medal, so called Vernon medal. I love it.

​For my boats collection (see some there https://fr.numista.com/forum/topic47038.html)

The Admiral Vernon medals are great!

That one if you don't know the series, that one is one of the 'capture of porto bello' ones. Very lovely.
Today I got x2 Maria Theresa Thalers and a Bank of England 1 dollar, it's non magnetic moving perfectly down the magnetic slide and is .05g off the weight. I'll do a specific gravity test this week. I think these Thalers are identified right now, this I think is the Calcutta restrike:

i think this could be London:

im only curious of this probably because of the chops although usually they're a sign of the coin being sound I think the portrait looks like he has a goofy smile because of the wear. It's no rush if it turned out to be a fake I can return it but the Thalers and the British trade dollars were genuine.

Quote: "ZacUK"
​​
​​

​​ Wow - I love it too!! :love:
​In the USA, colonial coin collectors like to add Admiral Vernon medals to their collections. Mount Vernon (George Washington's plantation) was named after Admiral Vernon. George's half brother (Lawrence) had served under Admiral Vernon in the Caribbean; George had inherited the plantation from him.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:41.