The Pride Of Your Collection

22 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Another social topic to shake off my lingering drama thoughts.
This time, what I would like to know, is, what is your favorite coin/token/medal in your collection, your pride, your happiness?
Personally, mine is this AE2Follis - Decentius (VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAES) I snagged up with a few supply tokens and loads of poor/basal/good/ other roman coins... for 11 quid...
And that coin alone is worth over £50... ( Yes I know it's not much, but really, turing less than 11 Quid to 50 is like magic... not that i'd sell it.)
Also, help needed with its grade, I've been told a VF/F but would like more help
So: here it is,
The pride of my collection, also, the legends Ob And Rev are both completely clear, despite the camera.

Without a doubt

Quote: "Mark240590"​Without a doubt

​That is just incredible Mark. How are you photographing these?
Just with my iPhone 6 Plus. I only use natural light too. Seems I have a decent
eye for a photograph !
And how do you eliminate the background?
Use GIMP. It is a free image editing software.
There is some construction going on at my house so I can't get to my collection so I will use the site's catalog to show

I bought this coin back in late 2014 for $50 at my local coin store.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6577.html
I use an app called kropcircle on my iPhone.
Quote: "Mark240590"​Without a doubt

​Incredible it is. In my short time on Numista, this confirms my passion.

Here's the pride of mine so far......
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Here is mine... The beginning of my commemorative half dollar set it's absolutely unblemished and beautiful

Quote: "cncote10"​Here is mine... The beginning of my commemorative half dollar set it's absolutely unblemished and beautiful
​Yup, can't see any blemishes at all.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"
Quote: "cncote10"​Here is mine... The beginning of my commemorative half dollar set it's absolutely unblemished and beautiful
​​Yup, can't see any blemishes at all.
​Wiseguy! ;( :D

damn mobile phone uploads!
Likely my British 1860 Penny (Freeman 17 R13 500-1000 exist) which is the last die state for the 1860 penny.
Also one of my favorite cherrypicks, as I bought it unidentified, and for $10-$15...I also picked-up a Freeman 16 on the same day

Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
It's really difficult for me to list the pride of my collection, as since my culling I'm pretty much in love with all my babies.

Young head half crown, my WWF (animals) coin collection, my SA coinage, my pennies, I like it all. The only ones I dislike and am actively looking to get rid of are the sovereigns.

The most valuable is undoubtedly my 1892 gold 3d, but I'm not sure I'd say it's 'my pride' - I chased the SA Kruger crown for a long time, so I like that. I like my pine tree shilling as it's a cool piece of history. My young head crown is cute as hell too. And my Cape of good hope penny... And my portuguese coinage...

muygrandeoso, mark, and Peter, yours are stunning!
I have a few coins in my collection that I believe are considered to be the pride of my collection. I'll show a few starting with the oldest coin first.

First is this Australian 1910 threepence coin. 1910 was the first year that the Commonwealth of Australia issued its first national coinage and was also the only year to feature the portrait of King Edward VII.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces12495.html

The second is this Israeli 10 lira coin that celebrates the victory of the Six Day War and the capture of the Eastern Jerusalem. This one belonged to my Great Grand Father who's side of the family had some interesting involves with that place.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces87698.html

The third is this Australian 1993 sliver dollar bullion coin master. For those who do not know what a coin master is, once the dies are ready to struck a new coin, one of those dies has a test run. What this test run produces is this coin master that then acts as a standard for the quality that each coin of that type should be struck as. Usually one or two of these coins are made and then are usually destroyed once they are no longer needed. Because they are the vary first of that coin to be struck they often have a superior quality to the standard mintage. For example the Queen's portrait has vary strong and well defined polishing marks that is usually not seen on the standard mintage.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces73768.html
Archaeology student and coin and medal collector
Check out my Instagram account @Australian_Coin_Info
https://instagram.com/australian_coin_info/
To choose one particular coin would be very difficult, so I have chosen three.
Many years ago, a sales representative, whom I had known for many years and had often spoken about the coins he had inherited from his uncle, brought them in for me to sell for him.

I took all of the coins to a local dealer and was given a price for the whole lot. It contained a mixture of coins, both British and foreign with a mixture of metals.

When I saw the guy next, I told him the price and made him a deal. I said, I will sell these coins privately and through auctions ect, but will not sell these three coins which I have always wanted for myself.
The deal was this.
1. If I sold all of the other coins for the same as the dealer had offered him, I got the three coin for free.
2. If I sold the other coins for more than the dealer offered, he would receive that amount.
3. If I sold the other coins for lesss that the dealers offered, I would make up the difference.

These three options were agreed.

I then began the process of selling the items through private sales, car boots and eBay, but sad to say I fell £65.00 short of the total.

The next time I saw the guy I gave him the total as agreed in line 3. He was extremely happy with this, and as you will see below in the photographs I have attached, so was I.

This is a 1989, three coin set commemorating the 500th anniversary of the gold sovereign. The coins, left to right are, ½ sovereign, 2 sovereigns and 1 sovereign.
Only 10,000 of these sets were issued, with another 5,000 sets that included the 5 sovereign coin. Coins were also issued singularly.
So, just a small reminder that I paid £65.00 for this set.

I
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Oh wow, the bullion value is probably worth at least 10x that, and the royal mint set.. well I don't want to think how much that costs...
Found a set on taxfreegold.co.uk at £1,995.00
Four coin set at £3,995.00
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
I realize it doesn't look like much, but it's a Caracalla discovery piece from Philippopolis, which I found in a small lot of ancients:

More info from FORVM ANCIENT COINS: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=27
Quote: "COINMAN1"

​Stunning set of coins. Makes me wish that the current designs would draw more inspiration from the past. This set shows the potential that it could have. Personally, I'd like to see a homage to the Medieval long cross design or to the general design that was used on the obverse of most English/British coins from Charles II to 1816.
Quote: "cmaclean"
Quote: "COINMAN1"
​​
​​

​​Stunning set of coins. Makes me wish that the current designs would draw more inspiration from the past. This set shows the potential that it could have. Personally, I'd like to see a homage to the Medieval long cross design or to the general design that was used on the obverse of most English/British coins from Charles II to 1816.

It's slightly ruined by the fact that they are all only 22 carat though. At least one should be 23 to keep up the historical accuracy!
Burgundy Token - Louis XIV - 1707 - CERTA DUCUNT SIDERA.

"Burgundy, supported by the two Princes of Condé, takes pleasure in his love for his two governors. The ship they steer, no longer needs be at anchor. It sails, in full sail, in complete security, because its two favorable stars shine in the sky."
J. de Fontenay - Tokens amateurs book - Dijon - 1854.

Referee of south atlantic islands

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:23.