Additions to your collection August 2016

88 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Because it's not July anymore :-)

For example, today I bought my first coins from Cameroon, Togo, and South Arabia (plus a lot of other stuff - I'd have to look through it for highlights).
I have five additions ...

'D I Eaton 1795 Halfpenny Token Daniel Isaac Eaton Acquitted for sedition'

'Portsea Promissory Halfpenny Token 1796 George & Dragon'

'Unknown Coin Or Token, 28mm Diameter'

'Ships Colonies & Commerce early 19th century copper token medallion'

'1817 New York Theatre Token, PAID'

I had to get that token as I already have the other in the series with ADMIT on it.
Your unknown Token/coin 8)
Referee of south atlantic islands
Thank you - I used the description that the seller wrote, so when
it arrived I was going to look it up then. Saved me the trouble! :)
Here's mine:

A half mithqal of 'Ali Mu'ayyad of the Sarbadars in Persia.

It was minted in Sabzawar in AH763.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
New country!
New Hebrides 5 Francs 1970.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
August begun with very interesting coins - made me happy in my birthday month  !

Queen Tamar, irregular AE

another one, with two c/m-s

another one

Silver Queen Rusudan drama with c/m " Ф " engraved directly on the die ! ( described by Pakhomov )

Silver Qaanik dirhem in brilliant condition !

Silver Mongke dirhem

Sefevid, Nadir Shah 1150 AH Shahi, Tiflis Mint / very rare

Sirma Uzaltuni, Erekle II, Georgia, Tiflis mint. AH 1211

1/2 Bisti, Giorgi XII, Tiflis mint. 1799

Demetre I irregular AE

Tiflis civic copper " Two lions"

Wow.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
These are my recent lots.
A load of British Guiana (Essequibo & Demerary guilders and fractions) along with some anchor money. 1/4 dollar 1822/1 overdate variety quite scarce. 1820 1/8 dollar again quite scarce and a nice 1/16th as an upgrade. Lastly a British Honduras 50c as I didn't have one and it was a good price. They do tend to be worn examples though.

A nice UNC British Honduras cent:

Another Guilder

Ceylon 19cents coffee plantation token
won't add pictures because they don't match up to the beauties posted so far - but my main collection right now is my birth year set (1969), circulation only - no commems, FAO, proofs, etc.. 372 possible, just added:
#211 - Hungary 50 filler
#212 - Guatemala 10 centavos
#213 - Singapore 1 dollar
#214 - Ireland pre-decimal 6 pence
and upgraded my Hungary 10 filler

the rare Biafra and some Soviet Union coins are the Holy Grails..
Romania - 5 Bani 1883
It's time for me to brag a little :)

A couple of my new babies!

I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Quote: "Bartweegie"​It's time for me to brag a little :)

​Very nice. I like the 3 Centesimi especially!
Another four additions ...

'George IV Memorial Medal - 1830 - UK Token'

'British Token'

'Scotland Angusshire Montrose Halfpenny token 1797'

'1897 Nelson 37mm Copper Medal from HMS Foudroyant'
August has been very eventful in the Byzantium space for my collection as I picked up several lots as well as some interesting pieces. The lots turned out to be far better than I expected with several rare and scarce pieces mixed in. Here are a few coins:

Byzantine Empire: Michael VII Ducas (1071-1078) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1878; DOC-14b)

Obv: Bust of Christ Pantokrator facing, bearded, with cross behind, wearing tunic and himation; right hand raised before breast in blessing, left hand holds book from beneath. In field, IC and XC above lateral arms of cross; six-pointed stars beneath them to left and right
Rev: +MIX AHΛ RACIOΔ; Crowned bust of Michael facing, bearded, wearing modified loros with collar-piece and crown with cross and pendilia, holding in right hand labarum, in left globus cruciger

Overstruck on a follis of Romanus IV (Sear-1866)

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus III Palaeologus (1328-1341) Æ Assarion, Constantinople (Sear-2478; DOC 894-5; LPC, p. 124, 10)

Obv: Half-length bust of St. George, holding spear and shield
Rev: Half-length bust of Andronicus, holding cross-tipped scepter and globus cruciger

Byzantine Empire: Michael VIII Palaeologus (1261-1282) Æ Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear-2295; DOC 136-43; Lianta 582-83; Grierson 1369; Bendall T.2)

Obv: St. Demetrius enthroned facing, holding sword across knees
Rev: Michael, holding cross-tipped scepter and akakia, being crowned by St. Demetrius; Manus Dei above

Byzantine Empire: Alexius I Comnenus (1081-1118) Pb Tetarteron, Thessalonica (Sear-1934L1; DOC Pb.37; Grierson 1035)

Obv: Standing facing figures of John II, wearing stemma, divitision, collar-piece and loros, and St. Demetrius, wearing short military tunic, breastplate and sagion, holding swords and between them, labarum on long shaft.
Rev: Alexius and Irene standing facing, both wearing crown, stemma, divitision and loros and holding between them cross on long shaft

Just received:

Zambia KM#23 - 20 Ngwee (20th Anniversary of Bank of Zambia)

Over the last 6-8 weeks, I have been selling a collection of silver and gold coins for a friend. On Sunday, I finally sold the last of the three gold coins I had for sale. All of the 32 silver coins had been sold previously. As part of this collection, there was a fourth gold coin, which I told the owner of the collection, I would like to own myself.
I sold, as I stated earlier, all of them now except the coin I wanted, and so handed over the cash to the original owner and she was extremely happy with my efforts.
As a big thank you, she said I could have the coin for nothing, which I thought was very generous of her.
The coin is below. Sorry for no picture, but will add it if requested later.
The Gambia. 150 Dalasis. 1996. Year of Three Kings. KM#61
Just added it into my Numista list.
One very happy chappie
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Over the last 6-8 weeks, I have been selling a collection of silver and gold coins for a friend. On Sunday, I finally sold the last of the three gold coins I had for sale. All of the 32 silver coins had been sold previously. As part of this collection, there was a fourth gold coin, which I told the owner of the collection, I would like to own myself.
I sold, as I stated earlier, all of them now excepy the coin I wanted, and so handed over the cash to the original owner and she was extremely happy with my efforts.
As a big thank you, she said I could have the coin for nothing, which I thought was very generous of her.
The coin is below. Sorry for no picture, but will add it if requested later.
The Gambia. 150 Dalasis. 1996. Year of Three Kings. KM#61
Just added it into my Numista list.
One very happy chappie
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Over the last 6-8 weeks, I have been selling a collection of silver and gold coins for a friend. On Sunday, I finally sold the last of the three gold coins I had for sale. All of the 32 silver coins had been sold previously. As part of this collection, there was a fourth gold coin, which I told the owner of the collection, I would like to own myself.
​I sold, as I stated earlier, all of them now excepy the coin I wanted, and so handed over the cash to the original owner and she was extremely happy with my efforts.
​As a big thank you, she said I could have the coin for nothing, which I thought was very generous of her.
​The coin is below. Sorry for no picture, but will add it if requested later.
​The Gambia. 150 Dalasis. 1996. Year of Three Kings. KM#61
​Just added it into my Numista list.
​One very happy chappie

Very nice. I've been after the 1000 Dalasis (and 200) from that year for a while. They are pretty rare and hard to find though. Is the 150 another WWF one too?
Quote: "Quant.Geek"​August has been very eventful in the Byzantium space for my collection as I picked up several lots as well as some interesting pieces. The lots turned out to be far better than I expected with several rare and scarce pieces mixed in. Here are a few coins:

Byzantine Empire: Michael VII Ducas (1071-1078) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1878; DOC-14b)

​Obv: Bust of Christ Pantokrator facing, bearded, with cross behind, wearing tunic and himation; right hand raised before breast in blessing, left hand holds book from beneath. In field, IC and XC above lateral arms of cross; six-pointed stars beneath them to left and right
​Rev: +MIX AHΛ RACIOΔ; Crowned bust of Michael facing, bearded, wearing modified loros with collar-piece and crown with cross and pendilia, holding in right hand labarum, in left globus cruciger

​Overstruck on a follis of Romanus IV (Sear-1866)

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus III Palaeologus (1328-1341) Æ Assarion, Constantinople (Sear-2478; DOC 894-5; LPC, p. 124, 10)

​Obv: Half-length bust of St. George, holding spear and shield
​Rev: Half-length bust of Andronicus, holding cross-tipped scepter and globus cruciger

Byzantine Empire: Michael VIII Palaeologus (1261-1282) Æ Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear-2295; DOC 136-43; Lianta 582-83; Grierson 1369; Bendall T.2)

​Obv: St. Demetrius enthroned facing, holding sword across knees
​Rev: Michael, holding cross-tipped scepter and akakia, being crowned by St. Demetrius; Manus Dei above

Byzantine Empire: Alexius I Comnenus (1081-1118) Pb Tetarteron, Thessalonica (Sear-1934L1; DOC Pb.37; Grierson 1035)

​Obv: Standing facing figures of John II, wearing stemma, divitision, collar-piece and loros, and St. Demetrius, wearing short military tunic, breastplate and sagion, holding swords and between them, labarum on long shaft.
​Rev: Alexius and Irene standing facing, both wearing crown, stemma, divitision and loros and holding between them cross on long shaft

​Congratulatiuons !!!! Awesome coins !!!

D
oggy,
In answer to your question of the Gambian gold coin, it is nothing to do with the WWF.
The coin was minted as part of the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother series. The coin has portraits of the 3 Kings of Great Britain in 1937.
George V (who sadly passed away)
Edward VIII (who abdicated)
George VI (who reigned until 1952, when he also passed away with Elizabeth II becoming our Queen)
Best of luck in searching for the coins you want
No pictures, but I received the current selection of Icelandic kronurs - 1, 5, 10, 50, and 100 - from a friend's daughter who was passing through the country. And a 500 kronur note.
:wiz:
This very nice 1/4 farthing 1852 ---note re punched 2
Cheers Don
I've got The patriotic wars of 1812 coins series, lovely russian coins.
Some really lovely coins this month. Here's mine.

vf/vf+ 1656 Milled halfcrown

And another one, though this might end up being for Neilithic.

vf+/nef 1924 South Africa Florin (Around AU55-AU58 in Sheldon for some reason, so could actually be EF. I'd put it at max nEF though)

Quote: "oggy"​And another one, though this might end up being for Neilithic.

​vf+/nef 1924 South Africa Florin (Around AU55-AU58 in Sheldon for some reason, so could actually be EF. I'd put it at max nEF though)

​what a lovely grade !:love: I need to spend some time fixing South Africa. A lot of mine are low grade.
Three more recent additions ...

'Rare 18th Century Conder Token Tenterden Brewery 1796'

'Token Gibraltar Keelings Two Quartos 1810 (big date version)'

'Princess Charlotte Model One Decem (1/10th ) Token / Toy Money'
Quote: "Mark240590"
​​
​​vf+/nef 1924 South Africa Florin (Around AU55-AU58 in Sheldon for some reason, so could actually be EF. I'd put it at max nEF though)
​​
​​
​​
​​what a lovely grade !:love: I need to spend some time fixing South Africa. A lot of mine are low grade.

Thanks! It's very decent isn't it, few light surface marks and possibly an old cleaning, but other than that problem free. I actually wanted to hold out for a slightly better one (if you look at the jewels in the crown, 2 are faded,and some of the vertical ones to the cross seem merged). However I had a look at similar coins in auction and they had the same faults, even at AU58. Not sure if they were overgraded or whatever, but only paid £36 so I'm not too unhappy.

I have a south african care package for you remember! (George VI and Elizabeth) - Just need to know which ones you need and we can get a swap or whatever rolling once I get back.

Good luck on the series1 George V florins though.... (that said it's one of the few coins i look for aggressively, so may be able to find one for you eventually)

​vf+/nef 1924 South Africa Florin (Around AU55-AU58 in Sheldon for some reason, so could actually be EF. I'd put it at max nEF though)

Good score. Keep it for yourself if you need it, no need to set it aside for me if it's one you want.
Quote: "neilithic"
​​
​​vf+/nef 1924 South Africa Florin (Around AU55-AU58 in Sheldon for some reason, so could actually be EF. I'd put it at max nEF though)
​​
​​
​​
​Good score. Keep it for yourself if you need it, no need to set it aside for me if it's one you want.

See above. Along with young head half crowns it's one of the few coins I aggressively pursue. If I find a better one, this one is for you (as I know you were after one), otherwise it's for me. Certainly won't stop pursuing them at this point. Even if I manage to get 3, thats one for me, one for you, and one for Mark, and I'll probably still pursue more. It's a heavily undervalued coin at the moment, so is always worth picking up.
Just won a coin yesterday, here's what I got:

A 1/12 stater from the Kingdom of Macedon, most likely struck under Philip II, but could have possibly been struck under Alexander III 'the Great'.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored

Rusudan awesome Drama, original patina. never seen better . Impossible to describe how happy am I  :)
Quote: "Dato Mikeladze"

​Rusudan awesome Drama, original patina. never seen better . Impossible to describe how happy am I  :)
​Dato, you are killing me :o:( I am so jealous...
Some recent pickups...

Seleukid Empire: Antiochos VI Dionysos (144-142 BCE) Æ Serrate, Antioch on the Orontes (SC 2007a; HGC 9, 1048)

Obv: Radiate and diademed head of Antiochos VI right
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛNTIOXOY in two lines above, EΠIΦANOYΣ ΔIONYΣOY in two lines below; Panther standing left, with broken spear in jaws; to right, ΣTA above cornucopia

Augsburg: Udalschak von Eschenlohe (1184-1202) AR Bracteate (Bonhoff 1901; Löbbecke 977)

Obv: Half-length bust facing, wearing miter, holding chalice and cross; pair of pellets flanking head; all within border of pellets-in-arches
Rev: Incuse and reverse of obverse

Spain, Aragón: Jaime II el Justo (1291-1327) BI Dinero, Barcelona (ME-1845; Crusafont 180-3)

Obv: +:IACOBVS: REX:; Crowned bust left
Rev: B´AQINONA; Cross pattée; three pellets and annulet in alternating quarters

Metz: Civic Issue (ca. 14th-16th centuries) AR Gros, Metz (Robert p. 213, 4; Boudeau 1659-60; Roberts 8932)

Obv: St. Étienne kneeling left; civic coat-of-arms of Metz to left and right; manus Dei above; star stops
Rev: Cross pattée; star in quarters; annulet stops

+100000 !!!!!!
Quote: ""Quant.Geek""Metz: Civic Issue (ca. 14th-16th centuries) AR Gros, Metz (Robert p. 213, 4; Boudeau 1659-60; Roberts 8932)

​Obv: St. Étienne kneeling left; civic coat-of-arms of Metz to left and right; manus Dei above; star stops
​Rev: Cross pattée; star in quarters; annulet stops

​Would you perhaps be able to give us a bit more history and info on this coin? I think it is outstanding and would love to learn more about it.

When it comes to pre-1600 coins not from England, I am absolutely in the dark.
"Time is money." - Benjamin Franklin
Check out some of the coins in my collection:
https://collectivecoin.com/RTScott1978
I get no Gibraltar coins for ages, then after the 'Token Gibraltar Keelings Two Quartos 1810'
that I got the other day, I also just now got this addition ...

'1802 Token Coinage * One Quarto'

It is KM# Tn1 with the coastal view >
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24978.html

Incidentally, the Princess Charlotte token shown the other day below that 1810 coin
arrived today. Though I do not collect stamps I will keep the envelope it came it, as
curiously one of the stamps on it had 11.1/2p value so that stamp (and maybe
the others) is over 30 years old. The 1/2p was demonetized in1984. 8)
A very nice double die (Australia 20 cents 1974):

Hey Essor Prof nice find.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: "RTScott78"
Quote: ""Quant.Geek""Metz: Civic Issue (ca. 14th-16th centuries) AR Gros, Metz (Robert p. 213, 4; Boudeau 1659-60; Roberts 8932)
​​
​​Obv: St. Étienne kneeling left; civic coat-of-arms of Metz to left and right; manus Dei above; star stops
​​Rev: Cross pattée; star in quarters; annulet stops
​​
​​
​​
​​Would you perhaps be able to give us a bit more history and info on this coin? I think it is outstanding and would love to learn more about it.

​When it comes to pre-1600 coins not from England, I am absolutely in the dark.
​Metz was in that period a German HRE Free City, split from the Bishopric after an old dispute with the bishop in the 12-13th century, making the city claiming itself as a Republic (aka. République messine in French, as this part of the HRE more speaking French than German). Both the Bishopric and the City had their own coinages.

This coin is dated after this split, but also before the French invasion of the future Three Bishoprics (Metz, Toul and Verdun) making them slowly absorbed into the Kingdom of France. This coin has multiple varieties, including a major lettering variety (this coin uses a classic medieval lettering, but there were also coins with more modern lettering like modern coinage using capital letters). A gros (or Groschen for German speakers) was worth a sou which is a count silver unit making this coin convertible in other currencies, especially French one.
Four additions today ...

'Belarus 2009 1 ruble Virgo BU Coin'

'Kent Canterbury Half Penny Token 1794 DH#7' [elongated pictures]

'Yarmouth S. Lessy Farthing Token'

'Three Piedfort £2 Coins 1986'

I doubt they are piedfort but they only cost face value each anyway.
Quote: "chomp-master"

​​​
​​​Obv: St. Étienne kneeling left; civic coat-of-arms of Metz to left and right; manus Dei above; star stops
​​​Rev: Cross pattée; star in quarters; annulet stops
​​​
​​​
​​​
​​​Would you perhaps be able to give us a bit more history and info on this coin? I think it is outstanding and would love to learn more about it.
​​
​​When it comes to pre-1600 coins not from England, I am absolutely in the dark.
​​Metz was in that period a German HRE Free City, split from the Bishopric after an old dispute with the bishop in the 12-13th century, making the city claiming itself as a Republic (aka. République messine in French, as this part of the HRE more speaking French than German). Both the Bishopric and the City had their own coinages.

​This coin is dated after this split, but also before the French invasion of the future Three Bishoprics (Metz, Toul and Verdun) making them slowly absorbed into the Kingdom of France. This coin has multiple varieties, including a major lettering variety (this coin uses a classic medieval lettering, but there were also coins with more modern lettering like modern coinage using capital letters). A gros (or Groschen for German speakers) was worth a sou which is a count silver unit making this coin convertible in other currencies, especially French one.
​Thank you, that was very informative. I'd love to see a coin like that with a modern lettering in the legend like you mentioned, (definitely going to Google it) the disparity between the archetypal medieval style of imagery of the praying man and a modern lettering would be very interesting.
No need to google it. I have it (but the previous one is more better than mine.
Quote: "chomp-master"​No need to google it. I have it (but the previous one is more better than mine.
​Very nice write-up chomp. Been too busy this weekend uploading to zeno.ru otherwise I would have responded earlier to the post. Still have a boatload of coins to upload...
Three more additions this evening ...

'Kent Lamberhurst Half Penny Token Hop Picker 1794 DH#34' [elongated pictures]

'18th Century Half Penny Token John Howard Debtors In Goal Coin' [error - should be Gaol]

'Lovely Guests Patent 1795 Token'
Quote: "ZacUK"​ Three more additions this evening ...

​'Kent Lamberhurst Half Penny Token Hop Picker 1794 DH#34' [elongated pictures]

​'18th Century Half Penny Token John Howard Debtors In Goal Coin'

​'Lovely Guests Patent 1795 Token'
​ Very nice Conders throughout this thread, ZacUK. I've got one I'm looking to purchase soon and if I go through with it, I'll post it here.
These two come today.

The 1949 is up for trade because I bought a Red 1950 just before it :)

​​ Very nice Conders throughout this thread, ZacUK. I've got one I'm looking to purchase soon and if I go through with it, I'll post it here.
Thank you (I am now encouraged to get even more of them)!
I would like to see yours if you get it. I used to be looking for Crowns, and now
either it is UK Conders or French jetons. :)
Quote: "ZacUK"
​​​ Very nice Conders throughout this thread, ZacUK. I've got one I'm looking to purchase soon and if I go through with it, I'll post it here.

​Thank you (I am now encouraged to get even more of them)!
​I would like to see yours if you get it. I used to be looking for Crowns, and now
​either it is UK Conders or French jetons. :)
​I REALLY love French Jetons, I used to have a couple dozen before I liquidated them to raise money for my primary collecting area (UK and Commonwealth).

Boy, I wish I still had photos of the silver Napoleon IV Birth Jeton I once had. I swear, every color of the rainbow was on that thing.

PS - That conder token I mentioned is a little colorful too, but it pales in comparison to the jeton.
Finally found something to buy!
I told the guy that he could get $20 each for the silver rounds, but he gave them to me for 2 for $20. This lot was $55!
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins

1870 Ceres head 5 francs vf

1901 half penny EF/AUNC

My first gold coin!
Japan 2 shu 1832-58
I finally discovered the "melt bucket" at my local coin shop. Most of the coins are just silly commemorative proofs and bullion rounds, but there are sometimes old circulated silver coins, destined for the melting pot. :o I bought these for right about melt price, some of them a bit lower even. I'm going to start asking to go through the bucket every time I stop by!

France, 50 centimes, 1918
German States - Bavaria, 2 mark, 1903
Germany, 2 Reichsmarks, 1937J
Italy, 5 lire, 1927
Netherlands, 10 cents, 1937
Panama, 1 balboa, 1934
Portugal, 2.50 escudos, 1943
United Kingdom, 1 shilling, 1849
United Kingdom, 1 florin, 1924
United Kingdom, 1 florin, 1934

And I also picked up a 1913 type I nickel for my classic US type set.

It has been a few months since I could participate in this thread.

So here goes.......
1 Kreuzer, Austria-Habsburg

1 Heller< Austria - Habsburg

1 Decimo de Balboa, Panama

1/2 Rupee, India - British (growl)

1 Franc, Ruanda - Burundi (growl again)
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Just picked-up this French Colonies 2 Sol for my collection.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7571.html
Referee for Pre-Euro Ireland
Four more additions ...

'Somerset Bath Half Penny Token 1794 DH# 34' [elongated pictures]

'Somerset Bristol Hawkins Bird (Spire) Half Penny Token 1793 DH# 89' [elongated pictures]

'Duke of Wellingtons battle victories Halfpenny token medal Canada coin war medal'

'Silver Token - Andover 1811 D.12'

I found this 1 denar coin from Hungary, 1585.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22144.html
I'd love to know if it's real (hint hint to any experts out there), if it is it's officially my oldest coin.

Apologies for the red glow on it, that's the reflection of my camera. Always buy either a black or silver camera, people.
I've decided the time has come to upgrade my 1940 NZ Centennial Crown. It was meant to be UNC but the seller accidentally sent me an EF so he refunded me and asked I kept it. Normally EF would be good enough for me but it's bugged me ever since so I had to get one :)

After a long search I did found this Suriname gulden for an acceptable price. :`

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces14531.html
Cents are money too!
Only four additions today; I had bids on others that expired when
I was out, and when I returned saw I only won these ...

'UK silver token - Non-local 19th century sixpence - 6d Britannia sat on a cannon'

'France - Token/Jetton of Louis XIIII'

'Angusshire - Dundee Halfpenny Token 1796'

'T. Hall Taxidermist Toucan, Finsbury Square Halfpenny Token'
I have added rare type of Bakar half Biti coin, - " peackok left" .
And also Sefevid 1 Shahi coin, Tiflis mint, 1131 AH. Hussain

My last before September...

German States - 1 Dreiling, 1855

Serbia - 1 Dinar; Petar I, 1912

Brazil - 20 Reis; Pedro II, 1869

Syria - 1 Lira, 1399/1979
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
A few new acquisitions from Beaver Dam Coin Show(Wisconsin)

1852 Three Cent

1899 S Dime

1900 S Dime w/cudd
Just received. Full set South Sudan.

Nice set, 1 Pound looks great. (8
Agreed, very beautiful set. Congratulations Carlos.
I only have the two smallest denominations.
I like it too. I think they are all pretty cool other than the biggest and smallest.

I like the rhino on the 50p too.

@Andy and Essor Prof - If you like the 50p and £1, you could try to pick up the 1974 Tanzania 25 and 50 shillings! One has a rhino, the other has giraffes :)
Most beautiful Tanzanian coin is 200 Shilingi 1998. Love that coin.
Quote: "Andy289"​Most beautiful Tanzanian coin is 200 Shilingi 1998. Love that coin.

Aww, that one is just cute. I do love my animal coins. Would collect ship coins too if I had the money.
Got this coin today. :8D
Just three additions recently ...

'Three proof coins' [No image of other sides]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17037.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces879.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10845.html
50p 2011 Olympic Games [Badminton]; 10p 1995 United Kingdom; 10p 1984 Isle of Man

'London 2012 Olympic [Athletics] 50p Coin' [Dated 2009 not 2011]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16651.html

'Hobo Ike Dollar Nude Luis A Ortiz'

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3366.html
Cannot show Buffy on the other side! It is signed and numbered S627 and made in 1976.
What coin is bottom in the first picture?
Quote: "Andy289"​What coin is bottom in the first picture?
​ Isle of Man 10 Pence 1984 - Elizabeth II 2nd portrait; College of Arms
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10845.html
Reverse: Manx Loaghtan sheep

Simply and beautiful design. Stunning coin, thanks.
Thanks - also just now won this ...

'1739 Porto Bello Admiral Vernon six ships'

which I had to get as I was inspired by a member 3 months ago showing another Vernon medal.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic49781.html#p420707
Love those Vernon medals Zac! Must have been ecapoe one, with me and apuking lusting after it :O

I've been away all month, so instead of posting at the tail end of this one, I'm going to try and steal the first post of the next months with all my additions, assuming the NZ/Aussie contingent doesn't get there first!
Thanks! Three additions today before month end ...

'British Token' [George and Carolina]

'German State old coin 1769' [1 Kreuzer - Karl Eugene]

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38436.html [German states - Württemberg]

Not sure what yet to make of this last item I bought. From the first picture,
with the U.S.A. cent for size comparison, I would say top right (holed) is
a U.K. halfpenny and on the left is a U.K. penny.
Listed as '1914 outbreak of WW1 George V Penny (+ other) - 30% oversized - unique!!!'
so BOTH are a penny - top right is original and the left coin is oversized ...

with backwards lettering superimposed over Britannia reverse. (8

I got it as I like coins which are different sizes from those they are supposed to be ...
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic13167.html
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic45140.html#p376844
and in the other direction I have these silver miniatures ...

I've just won this on eBay and am awaiting its arrival. It's the last one of the 3 straits settlements dollars I needed, the only one of which chopped. Im quite happy it is I think it adds something too these big coins :)

Quote: "Mark240590"​I've just won this on eBay and am awaiting its arrival. It's the last one of the 3 straits settlements dollars I needed, the only one of which chopped. Im quite happy it is I think it adds something too these big coins :)

Loving the reverse on that one.
I'm always dubious about buying these trade dollars because there are quite a few forgeries out there.
Quote: "neilithic"​I'm always dubious about buying these trade dollars because there are quite a few forgeries out there.
​this isn't a trade dollar. I've got x2 straits dollars already and have 3 trade dollars all genuine. The straits dollars aren't so readily forged anyway. But knowledge is power, I know what I'm looking for so have picked up some veritable bargains !

All received during my move period.
Upper left: private set of San Marino 1-2-5 cent 2004 coins
Upper right: ALLRED gift (2X 1 kopeck 1988) & New Hebrides 1 & 5F
Lower left: UK mint set BU 1989
Lower right: 2X 1F 1918 (necessity issue of the City of Metz)
Last two additions for August ...

'Commemorative medal from the Benevolent Choral Fund 1791' [poor pictures]

'Large lot 165 x George V Silver Threepence (3d) coins. 1912 1920's 1930's 1940's'

I can see a few foreign silver coins in there as well.

EDIT: 3rd Sept - arrived today, and 165 is a LOT of coins!
There are 3 foreign coins ...
Soviet Union 10 Kopecks 1977 [not silver]
Switzerland 1/2 Frank 1920
Singapore 5 Cents 1981 [not silver]
The rest [171] are all UK 3 Pence silver coins ...
1902, 08 [Total 2]
1911 x3, 12 x8, 13 x7, 14 x6, 16, 17, 18 x6, 19 x3 [Total 35]
1920 x27, 21 x11, 22 x9, 25, 26 x3 [Total 51]
1930, 31 x13, 32 x9, 33 x12, 34 x15, 35 x16, 36 x7, 37, 38 x4 [Total 78]
1940 x3, 1941 x2 [Total 5]
Only one of the foreign coins is silver, but then the listing was for only UK coins,
so does not matter to me. Plus there are 174 coins total, 9 more than expected. 8)
Hey look at this aday late Iam at home. 4 nice Canadian dollars

And 9 UAE 1 Dirham commemoratives
It is, what it is, or is it.
Wrong Topic

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:09.