A new collection and a second account

7 posts
Hi ^_^

Some of you may have noticed I've fallen off the radar in the past few months. Due to personal reasons, I had to drop everything and leave my home country for London ... permanently. So my life has been really hectic but I'm starting to settle down now, I managed to get a job in retail and a new home. And one of the things that make me feel at home is a coin collection, obviously !
It is illegal to pass the border with coins from Romania (especially on a plane), so my old collection will have to stay back there for a while now. From what I can tell - you can't have 2 collections of coins on the same account, so my question is, can I make another account and use both ? I know some websites have bots that hunt for these things (same IP for different accounts).

Thank you

P.S. I know I promised you guys my coin identification website which I had to leave hanging and I am really sorry for that, but once I'll get myself together I'll do the last things and launch it since it's mostly done.
As far as I know, it's not the "bots hunting for it" sort of not allowed, but still isn't, you know, actually allowed. (And the only reasons there aren't any bots hunting for it is 1. because the administration couldn't be bothered, and 2. because there'd be too many false positives anyway.)

If I was the admin, I would've allowed a second account in such an extreme case as yours, but then I don't really see any problem with multiple accounts anyway (at least, as long as they aren't used to cheat at votes, and preferably if their existence is made clear). I have no idea what the actual admin would say.
There was a guy a few months ago who asked for a second account to organize his collection (for all the exchange coins, I think, can't recall the details). His request was not allowed - despite the obvious usefulness - but it was less extremely obviously useful than yours, anyway.
Considering there's a know thief currently using his 8th account (that we know of) here without any problems, I think you're safe.
I think you would be best to send a message to Xavier.
Quote: "January First-of-May"There was a guy a few months ago who asked for a second account to organize his collection (for all the exchange coins, I think, can't recall the details).
I think this person was oggy? I also think he does have a 2nd account just for his personal collection called oggycollection, or something. He references both accounts in the profiles of each account, so as to not hide anything. I think honesty is the key.

Personally, for reasons such as this I would see no problem. As Bryan says it's when people start creating numerous accounts for swindling purposes the questions should be asked, and alarms raised.

Welcome back to the site :)
As an admin, I can hardly say that you can do something that is forbidden here. But honesty is the key, not just here but everywhere. If there will be any reasons for deletion, like fake swaps, writing PMs and Forum posts from both accounts, swapping with boths etc., Xavier will delete it.

I also cannot exclude deletion of such account in the future even if you do not give any reasons for it, that includes even without warning OR placing a warning on one/both/all accounts.

My advice - make frequent Excel saves. :)
Catalogue administrator
I've never really been interested in swapping; so the new account would be just to log my new collection. No posting, no voting, no swapping, no messaging. And I'll make the account really obvious like Heretic_Cata 2.0 or UK or something - so any activity other than putting coins in a collection would be easy to check.
Even if there are no bots scurrying about for multiple accounts, I'd rather ask nicely. :)
I'll give a PM to Xavier linking to this thread, hope he'll permit it.

Thank you all :)
Of course we can't encourage members to have a second account, for safety reasons. But we don't have to be holier than the pope. I think you have a good reason to start a second account and I'm very sorry you had to leave your collection in Romania. I can only hope you will have it with you again soon.
It's always difficult to create a precedent, but for the good reasons it must be possible and we have to use our common sense. Not allowing second (or multiple) accounts is especially for safety reasons. If you name your second account Heretic_Cata II (or something similar), it's obvious there is no way of bad intentions. With your status and background here on Numista I think you really deserve this so I hope Xavier will allow it.
Good luck with this and good luck with settling in in your new homeland.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 00:52.