Panama Medio Centésimo/Balboa

6 posts
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?mode=simplifie&p=1&r=+Medio+Balboa&e=&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=&m=&a=&t=&dg=&w=&g=&f=&c=&co=y&cno=y&cc=y&cn=y&cj=y&ce=y&cu=y&cat=y

Shouldn't Medio be replaced by 1/2 in the coin name?

Just like in the US, "Quarter Dollar" is written on the coin, but it's listed with the name 1/4 Dollar
Catalog Master Referee & Referee for UAE
https://www.instagram.com/amer.coins
Amer Salmeh
Hello,

Well, matter of opinion. Indeed the 2 1/2 is written in numbers ...

However, the idea is to make the difference in the name between a coin that would be 50 cents and a coin called medio something. Which is why I preferred to keep that.
You will find the same with the 10 centésimos and the décimo, which are in fact both worth 0.1, the cuarto and the 25 cents, the medio and the 50 cents.

I feel it would have been better for US coins to keep the name quarter, as people use it. They are the real names of the coins.

There is the same problem everywhere in the catalogue even for older stuff e.g. 4 Kreuzer and Batzen, and half Batzen, or 3 Kreuzer and Groschen etc. Not a major issue though.

Regards,
André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
As long as it has been written correctly in the fields (Value in word from and value in number form) then it should be ok. My OCD would like to see it standardised but it's up to the referee to decide how it's listed.
I like Medio. Dime, Poltina...
I think that denominations of all modern decimalized coins should be given as a decimal number to avoid any confusion and misunderstanding.

For example, Peruvian denominations before 1918:
Un centavo
Dos centavos
1/2 dinero
Un dinero
1/5 sol
Medio sol
Un sol

Krause Publications confused these denominations, and put 1/2 dinero coins after 5 centavos, and Un dinero after 10 centavos. So someone who reads the catalog may think that 1/2 dinero is 10 centavos, but actually it´s 5 centavos.

So all these beautiful names like "dime", "1/5 sol", "poltinnik" and others should be moved somewhere to the comments. And the title of the coin's page should be clear to anyone: "10 cents", "20 centavos", and "50 kopeks".

And, surely, only "0,5 centésimo" instead of "medio centésimo" or "1/2 centésimo"
Oversimplification. People can sort out.

And I don't think Krause confuses (they make lost of errors but not this one). They often on purpose put the cents coins before the fractions of the major currency. It also happens for older coinage. In Austria catalogue, you have all the Kreuzer denominations, up to 30, and then the fractions of Thaler, starting at 1/12th, despite the fact that 1/12th is worth much less than 30 Kreuzer.
It is anyway solved in our catalogue because coins are sorted by the fractionnary value (field Face value - in figure form), so the medio-décimos will come together with the 5 centésimos sorted by date.

I think just the opposite, the nice names should be the main names, and the exact values should be in other fields.

Regards, André
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:58.