Foreign finds! (2017 edition)

55 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Have you found a coin in circulation that did not belong to the country you found it in? Tell us about it here.
Two finds to report tonight:

Canada, 1 cent, 1982 (obverse so damaged you can't see the Queen!)
Singapore, 10 cents, 2014
My wife received a 2008 Jamaican $10 instead of a Canadian quarter.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Normally I don't report my foreign finds but today I found a silver sixpence from 1919 in the coinstar machine where I work.

Not even a full month into 2017 and I've already found two silver coins!
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
Sitting abandoned on the shelf of my supermarket CoinStar, a 1 Euro coin from Italy.

Last week I found a whole bunch of change in the reject bin, including a 2002 Canada Day quarter and three 2 Euro cent pieces from Germany and Italy, along with a few other Canadian coins.
25 cents 1996 Barbados found in change.
Most recent one - Gibraltar £1 found in circulation in the UK. It looks (and its specs are) the same as common British £1 but it's not a legal tender here.
A Denmark 20 kronor coin in the change from a coffee shop in Canada, I guess it looks close to our older/pre-security issue $1 loonie coin.. (9.3g, 27mm vs. 7g, 26.5g)
Two more at the CoinStar today:

Estonia, 20 euro cents, 2011
Ireland, 20 euro cents, 2002
Good Coinstar find:
2008 Sweden 1 Kroner and 2000 and 2010 Canadian dimes.
2013 Swiss 5 Rappen and 1981 Swiss 10 Rappen at my favorite CoinStar machine.

Finally all those trips looking into the coinstar paid off. One silver dime, a swordfish from Singapore and two Aruba florins!
It was empty when I went in so it was while I was there.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Hey David free silver nice. Great job it all timing.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Two more on the CoinStar tonight:

Bermuda, 25 cents, 1981
Chuck E. Rocks token, 2015
Another silver dime in the same coin star! Too bad it's almost my last day working in that town. Thanks Cerulean for posting about coinstar in 2012 I haven't found anything good since then and now two silver dimes in two weeks!
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
2 rand South Africa received as a 10 pence coin.
On the floor of the train station platform, a 1981 Chilean peso.

It has traveled 8,070 km in 36 years, from Santiago to Washington. That's 614m/day, or 0.0256 kph, or 7mm per second. It could have rolled all the way here. I wonder where it went along the way, especially since this type hasn't been current in its home country for over 20 years.
Four more from the CoinStar:

Canada, 1 dollar, 1990
France, 2 cents, 1999
Mexico, 2 pesos, 1997
UK, 2 pence, 1997

...and a few mangled ugly American coins that the machine wouldn't accept.
25 cents Massachusetts received as a 10 pence in UK
On the bus just now, a UK 5 pence, 2000.
I live in the United States, so of course I have found many Canadian coins in change. I also look through rolls of coins I get from the bank. Two interesting coins I found in rolls of nickels recently were:

1. 2006 Singapore 20 cents, with a face value of about 14 U.S. cents - so I made 9 cents!

2. 2007 United Arab Emirates 50 fils, with a face value of about 19 U.S. cents
On the train platform this morning, a French 20 cents 2008.
Haven't found any foreign coins in town lately except Canadian cents, which are essentially useless, as I can't even spend them across the border (I put them in the Tim Hortons charity box where they can be deposited in the bank).

But, I did receive a US Series 1981 $5 bill in my change today. That is two versions ago - almost as good as a foreign coin, right??
Ok, so I went to the local grocery store today, but the Coinstar was empty, as it has been for the past few months. Then I went to a local greek restaurant to pick up lunch. As I was paying, I noticed a large, half-dollar sized coin in the til. Turns out, it was a 2012 10 piasters from Jordan. Also in the til was a 1979 Canadian nickel and a 2010 25 qirsh/piasters from Egypt.
The owner was nice enough to give them to me! How very nice of him.
He said they were from a customer who had just returned from Jordan.
Found a 2010-J 2 Cent from Germany, apparently the only one with 7 veins instead of 6.
A friend of mine found (and gave to me later) a 1997 1 Mexican Peso in a street near the office where we work, in Santos, Brazil.
I thought I received my 1st Canadian 5 Cent 2017 commemorative today but, it was a 2015 Bahamas 5 Cent. Just a little over 2,000 kilometers.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
At the CoinStar tonight, a new one for my collection: Germany, 2 pfennig, 1964-F
It was mixed in with $0.92 in domestic coins, too, so I got paid to find it.
I feel like you guys are so lucky who can find foreign coins in your change.
In Sweden I never found any foreign coins - and why would I? In the west there's Norway, their curreny are 1.2 SEK for 1 NOK, in the south there's Denmark, which has 1.3 SEK for 1 DKK, and to the east there's Finland which uses the Euros (9.8 SEK for 1 EUR). Who would think like "Hey, let's use my Norwegian/Danish/Euro coins! They're worth more, but whatever!"? Also, there's many tourists from Germany (Euros), The Netherlands (Euros), Polen (2.3 SEK for 1 PLN), and UK (11 SEK for 1 GBP). And since half of Europe uses Euros you can just forget about foreign finds.

Now, I live in South Korea. The Korean Won in so weak that only Indonesians and Vietnamese visitors would have something to gain by using their own coins. Oh yeah, Vietnam doesn't even use coins, and the Indonesian ones are in aluminium, so they're much lighter and very easy to distinguish from the Korean ones.

I've only got foregn finds once in my change, and that was when I was living in Australia. Then I somethimes got Kiwi coins in change. They're worth less, but it felt like i was the winner! :D
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Last night, for the first time in my life, I put money into a CoinStar machine. I am planning an Amazon purchase, so the no-fee Amazon credit was a good idea.

When I finished, the machine spit out two dimes (not mine) and a 2013 Chuck E. Cheese token.
On the ground at the bus station, a 2008 Jamaica 20 dollars.
Sitting on the cash register at my office's cafeteria: Canada 1996 1 cent, Canada 1987 5 cents. Cashier was nice enough to give them to me.
At the CoinStar tonight...

Canada, 10 cents, 1982
Israel, 1 sheqel, 2002
Quote: "Cerulean"​At the CoinStar tonight...

​Canada, 10 cents, 1982
​Israel, 1 sheqel, 2002
​Do you find a lot of US dimes at your coinstar? There must be something in the new ones - 2015-17, that makes the Coinstar reject them, because I find as many US dimes as I do other coins in my local coinstar machines
Another payout from the CoinStar mine: 2006-P Canada 10 cents.
Hey Cerulean here is one . Stopped at gas station on the way home and the manager gave me this.

He said it was at the end of a penny roll .
It is, what it is, or is it.
Someone left a Canadian twonie and a quarter sitting on the shelf of the CoinStar at the supermarket. So strange that someone should just leave that in a border city - that's at least a large coffee at Tim Horton's right there.
Supermarket CoinStar had a 2004 UK 10 pence and a 2005 Canada 25 cents the other day.
At the CoinStar,
2010 Bolivia 20 centavos
2007 Canada 25 cents ice hockey
Found 1 Bulgarian Lev instead of 1 euro, very similar but not for coffee machine :(
Bar maids at the bowling alley are always "on the look" for me. This was passed as a dime.....
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1005.html
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Found in Germany commemorative 2 eur from Austria.
ROMAE AETERNAE
I just pulled a 1992 Commonwealth of the Bahamas fifteen cents out of one of my registers. No idea where that came from, I'm in Texas.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did.  I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain
I just got this in change for the toll on the New York thruway. I would have expected Canada.
At the CoinStar tonight, a 5 ngwee from Zambia, 2012. My first wild find from Zambia in 12 years of looking.
Two more at the CoinStar:

Canada, 25 cents, 1978
France, 5 cents, 2008
I received a Canadian 1998 5 Cents coin in change the other day.
On Sunday night, in my change from a tollbooth on the New Jersey Turnpike, a 2008 Panama 1/4 balboa (Children's Hospital):

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces9793.html
Another CoinStar find, one 2016 Russia 1 ruble, Moscow mint.
JACKPOT!

CoinStar paid out big tonight....

Canada, 5 cents, 1979
Canada, 10 cents, 1980
Eritrea, 25 cents, 1997
Germany, 1 cent, 2002-A
Germany, 2 cents, 2002-F
Greece, 20 cents, 2002
Italy, 10 cents, 2002
Philippines, 25 cents, 2009
Portugal, 10 cents, 2002
Switzerland, 20 rappen, 1970
United Kingdom, 5 pence, 1990
United Kingdom, 5 pence, 2012

That's twelve coins worth $1.255 USD at today's exchange rates! They are worth about ten cents apiece, on average.

...plus five American coins fit for the garbage, and a plastic toy dime.
Three more CoinStar finds tonight...

Canada, 1 cent, 2003-p
USA, 1 cent, 1943
USA, 10 cents, 1956
Hey cerulean, whats the time you visit that Coinstar machine?

Its at a Walmart or supermarket? I live in a fancy area and whenever I am home and walk closer to those machines my wife give me the look ``-

It looks like you are the champion of Coinstar...
JustforFun...
I usually check the CoinStar machine after 8pm. People are less attentive, and there are fewer kids peeking in the reject tray.

Tonight, 2006 UK penny.
Wife just passed me an "unusual" 20p she found in her purse. Turns out to be a new type for me, Gibraltar 20p:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11549.html

She is starting to check every coin which passes through her hands hehe ;)
Coin Star find:
1973 Canadian nickel
2016 Canadian dime.
First non-US coins from Coin Star in a while.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:24.