Q & A - Ask admins a question

35 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello all!

I would like to open this thread for your questions for administration. I will try to answer any reasonable question on any subject (site administration / work here / plans / suggestions / anything).

I would certainly want to make admin work here more open / clear / understandable and inclusive.

Do not be shy and get involved!
Catalogue administrator
I'll be the first one (8

Why did Xavier decided to start a numismatic website? And how many people actually swapped on a newly established website during the fist half year?

I have nothing of importance to ask 8)
I also had this question for a long time.... that why did Xavier uncle opened this website?
And he also may have to pay a lot of money to the server for the running of the website? 8.
Does he get any profit at last??

Best Regards
Sayan :D
Sayan Biswas The Coin Collector
Here's an image from Subha Barua's profile
Does it seems Real???
So silly kid B.

Have a look.... 255 coins!!!!!???
I've been here a while but Numista was already up and running by then. I'd love to know more about those first days, back when there was a single forum and a lot of the features we take for granted had yet to be implemented. Perhaps one day we can persuade Dear Leader to share this history with the grunts.

It's a pretty unique website and community, much better than the larger coin forums. It's something Dear Leader should be very proud of and something we should celebrate more. I'd love to write a potted history of Numista, complete with tales of the great and the not so great who have graced our pages over the years. It's got the makings of a great soap opera.

I can't think of any specific questions but as a general theme I'd like to know what's coming down the pipeline in 2017. There are always plenty of good ideas floating around to improve the site but obviously not all will be followed up on. Oh, did you get a response from DL about the Mentoring Program proposed last year? I ask about this particularly because it's my belief that it's time to change focus and step up a gear or two. The Numista brand is well established, it's time to put it to strategic use and grow the hobby, not just be a website. We have a great platform to influence the next generation of numismatics, we should use it. Think bigger!
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"​I've been here a while but Numista was already up and running by then. I'd love to know more about those first days, back when there was a single forum and a lot of the features we take for granted had yet to be implemented. Perhaps one day we can persuade Dear Leader to share this history with the grunts.
​+1
i'm kinda a new in the site.
i try the other one and this is much easy to use and to colaborate with the catalog.
about the catalog.
How a Referee is selected?
Sorry no Swaps. Paraguay Post Office is to risky and they don't allow to send coins nor notes
Quote: "andysla"​i'm kinda a new in the site.
​i try the other one and this is much easy to use and to colaborate with the catalog.
​about the catalog.
​How a Referee is selected?

​2 steps:
  1. https://en.numista.com/forum/topic57154.html and if you still want to apply, please send us (Jarcek, Xavier or I) a PM;
  2. After receiving your PM, we start discussing about these applications, and when needed, we ask you complementary informations to guide us in our final decision, as the result to be taken by majority (2 over 3).
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Quote: "Sayan"​Here's an image from Subha Barua's profile
​Does it seems Real???
​So silly kid B.

​Have a look.... 255 coins!!!!!???
​Funny drawing ;)

I know you're clearly not friend, beware to not too much attack any member.

However, I'll check this carefully, as this is highly doubtful if confirmed.
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Would like to know the status of the country list rework. Where are you guys at? Are thirth level countries coming. When will this be finalized?
Quote: "chomp-master"
​​Does it seems Real???
​​So silly kid B.
​​
​​Have a look.... 255 coins!!!!!???
​​Funny drawing ;)

​I know you're clearly not friend, beware to not too much attack any member.

​However, I'll check this carefully, as this is highly doubtful if confirmed.
​It should probably have been raised elsewhere Chomps, but I think young Sayan is on to something. This is the guy who's been making threats to several members, being generally abusive to others and causing so much angst on the Swaps & Trades forum by offering pocket change for anything of value. Not having found any interest in his 5 year old ex circs, he suddenly appears with impossible numbers of identical high cost coins..... it's got "bad news" or maybe AliExpress written all over it.

There might be an innocent explanation but I can't think of one. I'm typically the first to spot the rogues in our midst and this Subha Barau feller is giving me some bad vibes. Good to know you're aware and watching, maybe that's all it will take and he'll straighten up or move on.

(Yeah, funny drawing, I laughed and scared my dog.)
I would like to know what you guys define as a 'country' in Numista. I'm just curious about this as I feel some listings within the Judea catalog and other country catalogs may have the potential of becoming their own 'country' within Numista.
Archaeology student and coin and medal collector
Check out my Instagram account @Australian_Coin_Info
https://instagram.com/australian_coin_info/
:8D You scared your dog ?!?!!?
Hahahahahah :8D
Quote: "Sayan":8D You scared your dog ?!?!!?
​Hahahahahah :8D
​I had to spend $350 on an oversized office chair so my cat and dog can sit at either side and sleep while Daddy is using his computer. During daylight hours I also have a tiny human sitting on my lap too. Yeah, I'm a real soft touch when it comes to critters and kiddies. They've always loved me and I love them right back.
Will we ever get the Private Messenger implemented into the site?

Matt
Quote: "Hello There"​I'll be the first one (8

​Why did Xavier decided to start a numismatic website? And how many people actually swapped on a newly established website during the fist half year?

​I have nothing of importance to ask 8)
​I can ask Xavier myself on every question that goes to him. I was not here on the beginning. On the swap count, I am not sure there will be such statistics.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Sayan"​I also had this question for a long time.... that why did Xavier uncle opened this website?
​And he also may have to pay a lot of money to the server for the running of the website? 8.
​Does he get any profit at last??

​Best Regards
​Sayan :D
​Because he likes coins like all of us here? B)
Advertisements pay for server costs, and by his own words - they barely cover it. So no, there is no profit from in money terms.
Catalogue administrator
I try to help out with the operating costs by clicking on the link taking you to ebay when I'm in the mood for a bit o' coin shopping. It for sure doesn't cost me anything but if everyone got into the habit of doing this it would help out considerably. Two clicks of a mouse to help keep one of the best sites on the internet solvent.... come on guys, it's a no-brainer.
Quote: "pnightingale"Had to shorten it. :°
​Again, I can ask Xavier more.

What is coming up in 2017?

Also answering to Eerovisser this way. Country list rework will be our nightmare probably during much of a year. Technically, third country level is ready now, but there are still few thing for Xavier to program. Now we have countries, with one count for all of them. Planned are two counts - one for countries, other for coin issuing entities. (+ one technical thingy, country which will serve as category, and will not count). But in the end, everything should be nicely organized. If anyone says a word about it being too complex at the end, I will personally send him to numismatic hell with one task - to find one specific coin in German States. X-D

Xavier also mentioned one new feature (which should probably stay as surprise, but it was propagated by Imre a lot 0:)).

There is a plan to enlarge team with admins responsible for managing/updating guidelines (now pretty obsolete).

Numisdoc admin is waiting to be appointed too - so Numisdoc should be up and running this year too.

Depending on moderators, we might get banknotes forum. Not sure if permanently, that depends to be seen.

And of course, we would like to have the community more together, communicative referees and so on.

+ We probably add some coins too.:O
And Numista token. ;)
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Myeackle"​Will we ever get the Private Messenger implemented into the site?

​Matt
​Not sure. Some form of faster communication would be nice, but this is surely not on top, when we have every week recurring problems with catalogue.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Australian Coin Info"​I would like to know what you guys define as a 'country' in Numista. I'm just curious about this as I feel some listings within the Judea catalog and other country catalogs may have the potential of becoming their own 'country' within Numista.
​Case by case. In modern countries, we used UN as dividing line. In countries, there are all UN states and UN observer states. All other states/countries/entities with politically divisive status are in non-UN states. This way it is ultimate, without any discussion.

For old/er countries we do it case by case, usually reading on internet/asking referees how much this or that was separated/autonomous/independent.

For Example: In Bohemia, there is today "Duchy of Glatz" - small duchy in Silesia, which had its own rulers, which were dependents of Bohemia kings. However, these dukes had their own armies and coinage. And sometimes politics, which was not bringing Bohemian kings much joy...

This Duchy will be counted as country in the new system.

On the other hand, (again case from Bohemia) coinage of city of Brno will be clasified as "Coin issuing entity". While you could now probably think of some German city states, this is not the case, as City of Brno did not became a "city state" in true meaning of the words.

So it needs some careful reading and checking.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "pnightingale"
Quote: "chomp-master"

​​​Does it seems Real???
​​​So silly kid B.
​​​
​​​Have a look.... 255 coins!!!!!???
​​​Funny drawing ;)
​​
​​I know you're clearly not friend, beware to not too much attack any member.
​​
​​However, I'll check this carefully, as this is highly doubtful if confirmed.
​​It should probably have been raised elsewhere Chomps, but I think young Sayan is on to something. This is the guy who's been making threats to several members, being generally abusive to others and causing so much angst on the Swaps & Trades forum by offering pocket change for anything of value. Not having found any interest in his 5 year old ex circs, he suddenly appears with impossible numbers of identical high cost coins..... it's got "bad news" or maybe AliExpress written all over it.

​There might be an innocent explanation but I can't think of one. I'm typically the first to spot the rogues in our midst and this Subha Barau feller is giving me some bad vibes. Good to know you're aware and watching, maybe that's all it will take and he'll straighten up or move on.

​(Yeah, funny drawing, I laughed and scared my dog.)
​Don't worry, I already checked and found him more suspect than expected. 255 is a technical maximum and impossible to reach with such coinage. Furthermore I spotted a highly scarce Cistophorus from early Roman Empire, and for sure he can't have it. So I immediately warned the Team about this on our own discussion media before you answered.
Quote: "Jarcek"
Quote: "pnightingale"Had to shorten it. :°
​​Again, I can ask Xavier more.

​What is coming up in 2017?

​Also answering to Eerovisser this way. Country list rework will be our nightmare probably during much of a year. Technically, third country level is ready now, but there are still few thing for Xavier to program. Now we have countries, with one count for all of them. Planned are two counts - one for countries, other for coin issuing entities. (+ one technical thingy, country which will serve as category, and will not count). But in the end, everything should be nicely organized. If anyone says a word about it being too complex at the end, I will personally send him to numismatic hell with one task - to find one specific coin in German States. X-D

​Xavier also mentioned one new feature (which should probably stay as surprise, but it was propagated by Imre a lot 0:)).

​There is a plan to enlarge team with admins responsible for managing/updating guidelines (now pretty obsolete).

​Numisdoc admin is waiting to be appointed too - so Numisdoc should be up and running this year too.

​Depending on moderators, we might get banknotes forum. Not sure if permanently, that depends to be seen.

​And of course, we would like to have the community more together, communicative referees and so on.

​+ We probably add some coins too.:O
​And Numista token. ;)
​Thank you Jarcek. I really appreciate all the work the team is doing behind the scenes. Looking forward to all these improvements. I can only imagine all the nightmares it must be to figure all this stuff out.
Think it out is the easy part. Get good reception is hard part. And hardest part - not to drown in petty problems, which surface every day. :D
Catalogue administrator
Can't think of any questions as such, but bravo on trying to be transparent. With so much that goes into managing this site and fire fighting on the forums, it's amazing that you are setting time aside to answer questions!
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​Can't think of any questions as such, but bravo on trying to be transparent. With so much that goes into managing this site and fire fighting on the forums, it's amazing that you are setting time aside to answer questions!

​Thanks, that means a lot!
Catalogue administrator
Just to bother a bit ... since admins do not seem to consider that important ... :°
I have noticed more and more often that info is available on en forum, not fr.
I think this is unfortunate. Some balance should be kept.
There is no such post like Q & R à l'administration in the salon.
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Good idea. As I'm lacking time now, can you create it?
Just want to know why Lundy is still considered as a country?
Coins, if you want to call them coins, were illegally produced, so surely, they are really only tokens.
As someone from the UK, I would like to raise a campaign to have Lundy demoted to the tokens section.
Perhaps I should get help from the government, as they seem to have spare time at the moment, as nothing being done about Brexit.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Good remark. However, if we remove them to the main list, they would more move to micronations instead of being deleted. I'll submit this to the Board.
I do not want them deleted, just moved away from coin countries.
Where they end up is fine. Personally, they have always been classed as tokens, so just trying to get approval from you guys.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Quote: "chomp-master"​Good idea. As I'm lacking time now, can you create it?
​Done https://fr.numista.com/forum/topic57365.html

A vous ! :)
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Quote: "pnightingale"​I can't think of any specific questions but as a general theme I'd like to know what's coming down the pipeline in 2017. There are always plenty of good ideas floating around to improve the site but obviously not all will be followed up on.

There are many, many good or great ideas submitted here, some of which don't require an hour's work. ​I'd settle on 1 or 2 being followed up on every year...
Quote: "Jarcek"
Quote: "Hello There"​I'll be the first one (8
​​
​​Why did Xavier decided to start a numismatic website? And how many people actually swapped on a newly established website during the fist half year?
​​
​​I have nothing of importance to ask 8)
​​I can ask Xavier myself on every question that goes to him. I was not here on the beginning. On the swap count, I am not sure there will be such statistics.
​did you ask him? 8.
:| Not yet, scheduled admin meeting was postponed.
Catalogue administrator

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:26.