Colombia KM#267 25c 1980?

16 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I've heard that moderators have the ability to see how many of each year of coin are entered at Numista. Are there any 1980 Colombia KM#267 entered?

Numista KM#267:
Coin
Numista exchange by year (zero 1980):
Year

No eBay results:
eBay
1979 = 627 members
1980 = 10 members
Fascinating. I cannot find a single image of the 1980 on the internet, yet there are supposedly 46 million of them minted (half of 1979). I wish one of those 10 people could post an image!
Yes - I cannot reveal who they are, but hopefully any of them can please
post a reply on here with a scan or picture please? :)
Any member who has the 1980 coin ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7599.html
You can do a workaround - ask a referee about it. Maybe it is just a catalogue mistake. These members can be revealed to the referee as he can contact them about this particular coin.
Catalogue administrator
Hi,

I've just been through everybody with that km# on their swap lists. All the coins were from 1979!!!

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
I might get some free time this evening, so I could write to those 10 members myself.
Catalogue administrator
That would be great if you did contact them. I think it is unlikely you will get a response from all 10. Meanwhile, I will continue to research the coin.

This subject came up because I was working on a swap with a Colombian gentleman (not on numista), who had 17 examples of 1979 but 0 examples of 1980 (I too only have the 1979). I found it suspicious that no numista member had 1 of 46 million 1980s to swap.
I presume it does not exist.
Catalogue administrator
Ok, I just messaged them. Some of them are known to tick every year as their own, so they have "double green tick" on catalogue view.
Catalogue administrator
1st answer - ticked to see in which coins he has all confirmed dates- does not own the coin.
Catalogue administrator
2nd message -mistake.

3rd message offered possible reason! :

This coin with the date stamped of 1980, was never coined, it is said that they were minted in 1980 but, with the same date of 1979.

So we probably have coins minted in two years with just one date.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"​...probably have coins minted in two years with just one date.

​I figured this was the most likely scenario.
4th message, error.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"​So we probably have coins minted in two years with just one date.

I received this response from Colombia's NUMISMÁTICA Y FILATELIA BOGOTÁ:

"You are right. They made this 25 Centavos coin only in 1979. It was issued in a hurry to facilitate payment of bus fare. The five-cent coins were out of circulation, and for this reason the buses were charging 30 cents instead of 25. We have reported three varieties of this coin:
1) Normal coin
2) Rotated reverse, almost always towards left
3) Medal aligned. Very rare.
Hope this information is useful to you."
According to all national Colombian catalogs, the year 1980 doesn't exist. But before finding that out, I searched hundreds and hundreds of 25 centavos and also didn't find that year.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:39.