1738 Carolvs coin, unable to find on the catalog

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I am unable to find this coin on the catalog, neither googling on the internet.

Shouldn't be a hard ID for such a large worn coin I guess.
It is in very bad condition, and seems someone tried to clean it. Unfortunately.

A KM# number would be wonderful =)

Around 32,5mm
weight 10.2g
Lettering looks like
CORONA TRONIS ANNO 1738 FAVSTO
CARLOVS D G SIC ET HIDR REX HIS INF

Thank you experts for any information! =)

Geison
FAUSTO CORONATIONIS ANNO 1738 = In the happy year of coronation 1738

CAROLVS D G SIC ET HIER REX HIS(P) INF =
Carolus Dei Gratia Siciliae Et Hierosolymorum Rex Hispaniarum Infans
[Charles, by the Grace of God, King of Sicily and Jerusalem, Prince of Spain]

Carlo of Borbone 1734-1759
Right on ZacUK, the correct legend is indeed:

FAVSTO CORONATIONIS ANNO 1735
CAROLVS DG SIC ET HIER REX HIS INF

The date should be 1735 in stead of 1738 (on your picture that seems possible).
But your weight is from a 4 tari 1735 but that obverse doesn't match. The obverse of a 3 tari matches but then the weight is wrong.

Ruler is: CARLO OF BORBONE 1734-1759

Here is the 3 tari 1735 with a match except for the weight:

And here is the 4 tari 1735 with a match for the weight but not for the reverse:

The legend seems to correspond to this coin:
https://numismatica-italiana.lamoneta.it/moneta/W-CBRS/26
How precise is your balance?

How is the edge? According to the Italian website it should have a leaf security edge.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
And also with this one: https://numismatica-italiana.lamoneta.it/moneta/W-CBRS/21

But the 6 tari 1735 from apuking's link is much too heavy while the 3 tari 1735 is way too light. And the 4 tari 1735 with an almost matching weight has a totally different design.
It's not in best shape but makes me wonder if this could be a rarity :.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
The coin is from Sicily. The 3 tari is KM#147, the 6 tari is KM#149.
So it all comes down to the weight now, best to check if you didn't make a mistake while weighing it.

Quote: "ZacUK"FAUSTO CORONATIONIS ANNO 1738 = In the happy year of coronation 1738

CAROLVS D G SIC ET HIER REX HIS(P) INF =
​Carolus Dei Gratia Siciliae Et Hierosolymorum Rex Hispaniarum Infans
​[Charles, by the Grace of God, King of Sicily and Jerusalem, Child of Spain]

​Carlo of Borbone 1734-1759
​... HISP INF = Hispaniarum Infans = Prince of Spain

There are a very good article about Italian "Hispaniarum Infans" coins here: https://www.academia.edu/27631270/Hispaniarum_Infans._Las_emisiones_de_la_Casa_de_Borb%C3%B3n_en_los_Reinos_de_Italia
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Indeed there are some pattern in the border, and the weight is around 10.2 to 10.4
Tried the weight with several common coins and the scale seems allright.

So this could be some uncatalogued variation?
Maybe some kind of contemporary fake?

Quote: "Geison"​Indeed there are some pattern in the border, and the weight is around 10.2 to 10.4
​Tried the weight with several common coins and the scale seems allright.

​So this could be some uncatalogued variation?
​Maybe some kind of contemporary fake?

​OoH! My type of coins! First off, i love it. Beautiful design, it seems to have taken a beating over time, but that does not explain the significant lack of weight (i take for certain that this is a 6 tari) . Due to the "HIS INFANS" lettering, it is the Gigante variety 44C. Quoted around 100 Euros in MB (F12) (this example is a bit too beat to reach that price level) and at best could be worth 20-25 Euros. What does instead explain the lack of weights the bad minting practices in Naples at the time, it is far from uncommon to find such low weight coins. As i stated before, this is a 6 tari, the deciding factor is the bust design, in the 3 tari, the general shape curves back down due to more detail existing in the hair. In this coin however, we can more or less draw a straight (oblique) line across the bottom of the bust, this makes it a 6 tari. If i have time i will take a picture of my catalogue later!
Thanks for posting this coin!
Laurent
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:21.