1835 EIC Rupee, is it real?

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello all,

I have an EIC Rupee from 1835 with the correct measurements (30.5 mm diameter), the correct weight (11.66g), the correct density, and bought it for the correct price for a "Very Good (VG)" coin (I am not 100% sure of this, if anyone could help). The only problem that I have is that it does not "feel like" silver. I have several other coins approx. the same weight and diameter that are made out of silver, and some that are not made out of silver and they either seem heavier, or lighter, but this coin just feels odd. Additionaly some of the small balls on the edge of the coin are not all completely equal (some look to have been smoothed out) I am wondering if it is fake or not?

Thanks
Actually, the dots around the outside (denticles) are the same as on the numista page. I still feel a bit worried about the strange feel to the coin. Any suggestions?
I have tested it for silver content and it seems to be made of silver. I am hoping this, as well as other things like the same denticles and weight is a measure of authenticity.

I was wondering what the grade on this coin would be, and how much it could be worth? I would also like to know the KM#?

Thank you!
It looks authentic to me. Is the Numista/Heritage Auctions example a pair of photos or drawings? I note that the lettering on yours seems to be closer to the rim. In addition, there is a difference in the position of the ribbon's tips above the 1 and 5 of the date. That could simply be a different die.

EDIT: Oh! I see there are several varieties. Yours is obviously one of the "R.S." varieties.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
It must be a drawing because some of the details on it do not match exactly what an actual one of these coins looks like. For example on the Numista page the six diamonds under the lettering are slightly tilted, while on the actual one they are straight.

Also the ribbons are in a different place on a real coin then they are on the numista page.

This could be a difference in km#. KM 450.7 has RS. on truncation and "thin lettering" this could mean something about the placement of the ribbons. KM 450.4 only has regular lettering.
Quote: "ShadowyEnigma"​It must be a drawing because some of the details on it do not match exactly what an actual one of these coins looks like. For example on the numbest page the six diamonds under the lettering are slightly tilted, while on the actual one they are straight.

​Also the ribbons are in a different place on a real coin then they are on the numista page.​

​As I said, it could also be that there are slight differences between the dies. And as a matter of fact, there are several varieties listed just for the year 1835.

I think it's a photo (though I'm not 100% certain) because I don't see why Heritage would use a drawing, especially if it's a high grade coin they wanted to sell. In fact, it's probably because it's such a high grade coin that it looks like a drawing.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I compared my coin to the krause publication book. It seems to be KM. 450.7 with thin lettering.
Does anyone else have any suggestions about the authenticity of the coin?

Thanks
To me it looks 100%real coin....
To check the coin you can count the small berries in the leaves....
coin collector.....
Yes, all of the berries are in place where they should be, and there are a correct amount of them...

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:21.