1 cent 1966 Suid - Afrika 1966 with "R" on it ?

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Is is normal for this type of coin ?

counterstamped?

My 1966 Suid - Afrika 1 cent without "R"

It's undeniable an "R", but it's hard to belief it's a normal thing on this coin. Especially because the R is sideways in stead of straight.
I have 5 pieces, I have to check them. I could have easily overlooked it because I didn't know about the R, but I'm pretty sure you have something special.
That is very odd. Looked at my coins , no r .
It is, what it is, or is it.
There is no mention of such a countermark in my 2012 Hern's Handbook on South African Coins & Patterns so can only conclude that it was added after minting.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
It's interesting how clean and small it is. It's kind of a neat thought that someone marked a bunch of coins to see if any would come back to them.
"What we are is not as important as what we aren't"
This is very interesting. As Radrick007 says, there is no mention of this in the handbook of South African Coins. I have several issues of these books, and will have a look.

I also own quite a few of these coins in all kind of conditions, as well as doubles for swap. Will have a closer look and see if I can find something.

But indeed the direction is funny. Is there any signs on the reverse that it might have been punched on afterwards?

Regards
Philip
Ex-South African now living in Germany
I think it could be counterstamped after minting but, for what reason ? Coin is not in unc condition to be part of big colection.
It looks that someone made this countermark by himself. However, it is very interesting to know the real history of this coin.
Quote: "geraltttt82"​​ I think it could be counterstamped after minting but, for what reason ?

​I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's counterstamped. A countermark usually is punched on a coin and there are no signs of a punch on this coin. And it looks like the "R" is in relief., not incuse:

I've just checked all my doubles, nowhere that "R" in sight.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:56.