AMERICAS CUP

23 posts

» Quick access to the last post

AMERICAS CUP = NEW ZEALANDS CUP-- well done guys- wonder what the melt value is haha
Meh, one big corporate backed syndicate beat another big corporate backed syndicate. No biggie.
Quote: "neilithic"​Meh, one big corporate backed syndicate beat another big corporate backed syndicate. No biggie.
Neil ​you must be one of the 1/2 dozen people that think so-- the kiwis had no way near the funding that the USA team did, and won it on a shoestring budget-- Credit due where credit belongs
the fact they had less funding doesn't take away from the fact that it's a corporate syndicate. It's EMIRATES Team New Zealand against ORACLE team USA. The competition has always been the posturing of a few rich dudes or companies. The original Team New Zealand was the pet project of merchant banker Michael Fay.

I get far more interested in the sailing at the Olympics than this one where all the sailors are in the same boats, so it's the skill of the sailor not the one who has the best technology that determines who wins.
Quote: "neilithic"​the fact they had less funding doesn't take away from the fact that it's a corporate syndicate. It's EMIRATES Team New Zealand against ORACLE team USA. The competition has always been the posturing of a few rich dudes or companies. The original Team New Zealand was the pet project of merchant banker Michael Fay.

​I get far more interested in the sailing at the Olympics than this one where all the sailors are in the same boats, so it's the skill of the sailor not the one who has the best technology that determines who wins.
​ok go back to your corner mr gloom-- let the other 4.5 million real kiwis celebrate than-- every sporting team or event has sponsorship including the olympics --- any one for tiddlywinks
That's different because at the Olympics you have to represent your country. The America's cup is a SYNDICATE competition they do not represent the country. Just look at Oracle. They had an Aussie skipper, a British tactician, a New Zealander as the team manager and a team from all over the globe. but they're Oracle team USA because the rich idiot that owns the team chose to base it there.

And you're deluded if you think there's 4.5 million who care about the cup. Hardly anyone I know cares about the cup, and all those that do profess an interest are all fairweather supporters. Let me ask you this. Did you watch any of the America's cup matchplay events over the last 3-4 years? Or did you jump on the band wagon at the Louis Vuitton cup like almost anyone else who claims they support team New Zealand?
Quote: "neilithic"​That's different because at the Olympics you have to represent your country. The America's cup is a SYNDICATE competition they do not represent the country. Just look at Oracle. They had an Aussie skipper, a British tactician, a New Zealander as the team manager and a team from all over the globe. but they're Oracle team USA because the rich idiot that owns the team chose to base it there.

​And you're deluded if you think there's 4.5 million who care about the cup. Hardly anyone I know cares about the cup, and all those that do profess an interest are all fairweather supporters. Let me ask you this. Did you watch any of the America's cup matchplay events over the last 3-4 years? Or did you jump on the band wagon at the Louis Vuitton cup like almost anyone else who claims they support team New Zealand?
​blah blah blah you must have a strange little group of friends if they can not celebrate victory- maybe not kiwis but imports
next thing you will tell us that the all blacks are not a nz team,because they have big sponsors,and several islanders in there midst
and yes actually team NZ could not afford much of the competitions before hand even with a $5,000,000.00 input from the govt-- where was all this big sponsership funding you talk of- they started preparing only 18 months ago thru lack of funds,and were on a tight budget all the way thru Team America may have had alot of international members,but what of team NZ all kiwis
This is how ridiculous it is...They've just reported that New Zealand have proposed a nationality rule meaning people representing one of the syndicates have to be from the country that the syndicate is based in and all the other countries have said that they are against the rule.

Can't get any clearer evidence that these syndicates do not represent the country they are based in but the owner of the syndicate

By the way...notice how nobody else is posting on this thread? It's because nobody cares about the america's cup except rich wankers with a couple of spare billion to throw around and moronic New Zealanders that think it's a national team.
Quote: "neilithic"
-​By the way...notice how nobody else is posting on this thread? It's because

​... we are all having fun with your delicious conversation. All ingredients are there, money, sports, nationalism etc.

And we agree that all sports have gone crazy in the same direction, football, Olympics, big sailing competitions, Tour de France etc.
African footbal players get European nationalities within minutes and then huge wages, big money is everywhere in competitions.

I personally dropped all interest in high level competition a while ago. But big money and sports is an old story ... wasn't Lipton - "Sir Thomas" - closely involved in the Am Cup ? This guy Coubertin was probably a long forgotten exception for the Olympics.

As far as sailing is concerned, I prefer the stories of those 5 crazy guys of the first Sunday Times Golden Globe Race 1968-1969 (you could sail one of their boats) than those of Alinghi and Oracle. Despite their talent.

Said that, your country guys is a wonder for sailing and I know few cost lines that are so full of surprises as yours. And great sailors !
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Quote: "neilithic"​This is how ridiculous it is...They've just reported that New Zealand have proposed a nationality rule meaning people representing one of the syndicates have to be from the country that the syndicate is based in and all the other countries have said that they are against the rule.

​Can't get any clearer evidence that these syndicates do not represent the country they are based in but the owner of the syndicate

​By the way...notice how nobody else is posting on this thread? It's because nobody cares about the america's cup except rich wankers with a couple of spare billion to throw around and moronic New Zealanders that think it's a national team.
​but we can make the rules now- great start--( all our guys were kiwis anyway) lets see what else they come up with--maybe identical boats , so winning is based on skill levels,would improve
meanwhile news that team nz did not have enough funding to do repairs, or pay some salaries-- so much for your unlimited funds theory Nothing else on the news this morning but team NZ-- get out of your little contorted world and live a little, and send your handful of mates back to where ever they come from
Anyway I am fighting a brick wall and now leaving thread GO TEAM NZ
You guys would really hate Nascar.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "muzz0000"
Quote: "neilithic"​This is how ridiculous it is...They've just reported that New Zealand have proposed a nationality rule meaning people representing one of the syndicates have to be from the country that the syndicate is based in and all the other countries have said that they are against the rule.
​​
​​Can't get any clearer evidence that these syndicates do not represent the country they are based in but the owner of the syndicate
​​
​​By the way...notice how nobody else is posting on this thread? It's because nobody cares about the america's cup except rich wankers with a couple of spare billion to throw around and moronic New Zealanders that think it's a national team.
​​but we can make the rules now- great start--( all our guys were kiwis anyway) lets see what else they come up with--maybe identical boats , so winning is based on skill levels,would improve
​meanwhile news that team nz did not have enough funding to do repairs, or pay some salaries-- so much for your unlimited funds theory Nothing else on the news this morning but team NZ-- get out of your little contorted world and live a little, and send your handful of mates back to where ever they come from
​Anyway I am fighting a brick wall and now leaving thread GO TEAM NZ

​Again when we get into a debate you set up a straw man to demolish.

I never said that team New Zealand had "unlimited funds" I said that they are not a national team, they are a syndicate, which they are. It's just the Larry Ellison had more cash to put in than Emirates did.

Secondly, we can set the rules, but if we want any challengers then we need to listen to the others. Luna Rossa and Alinghi have both said that they would not compete if we implement a rule about crews needing to be from the country the syndicate is based in, or if we change from the multi hulled boats.

And your red neck is showing buddy If you don't support team New Zealand you can't be from this country? That's just ridiculous. My friends are as kiwi as they come, they just don't care about a syndicate posing as a national team. Look at it this way. Were team New Zealand all kiwis? Yes they were. Did they need to be? Hell no, we could have hired anyone from all over the world if we wanted. Are the all Blacks all kiwis? Yes they are. Did they need to be? Yes they do! That is the difference between a syndicate and a national team.
oh Humbug Neil you better leave the country for a few weeks- because there is going to be alot of celebrating going on thru out NZ -- may i suggest Siberia where you could chill out for a while, and great at this time of year ,ask your mates
Fine, you go whoop and holler like an idiot as they parade. Everyone will forget all about the America's cup for another 4 years after our REAL national team win the third test against the Lions 4 days later.
Quote: "neilithic"​Fine, you go whoop and holler like an idiot as they parade. Everyone will forget all about the America's cup for another 4 years after our REAL national team win the third test against the Lions 4 days later.
​go them all i say- anyone for tiddly winks australia-usa sweden japan britain?????
Quote: "neilithic"​Fine, you go whoop and holler like an idiot as they parade. Everyone will forget all about the America's cup for another 4 years after our REAL national team win the third test against the Lions 4 days later.
​hope the pacific island boys play well  !!!!!!!!
Quote: "muzz0000"
​​hope the pacific island boys play well  !!!!!!!!
​Who are of course all New Zealand citizens, as they need to be to play for our national team.
What a crock of Sh** nobody cares about the Americas cup. Until last week I hadn't even heard of it. NASCAR ? Is that like a crap BTCC ?

Lions are are terrible too. They need to pack it in and go back to being national teams instead of home isles. Ireland hasn't even been a home nation for a very long time !
Quote: "Mark240590"​NASCAR ? Is that like a crap BTCC ?

Quote: "Mark240590"​What a crock of Sh** nobody cares about the Americas cup. Until last week I hadn't even heard of it. NASCAR ? Is that like a crap BTCC ?

​Lions are are terrible too. They need to pack it in and go back to being national teams instead of home isles. Ireland hasn't even been a home nation for a very long time !
Dunno mate, what's a BTCC?​

Nascar has a charming history being originally races held between the beefed up cars used to outrun the cops while running moonshine. Now the sponsors have taken over and the managers worry more about "diversity" than the cars. It's been popular in The South for about 100 years but with the current trajectory I reckon it will lose most of it's audience within the decade.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Quote: "pnightingale"
Quote: "Mark240590"​What a crock of Sh** nobody cares about the Americas cup. Until last week I hadn't even heard of it. NASCAR ? Is that like a crap BTCC ?
​​
​​Lions are are terrible too. They need to pack it in and go back to being national teams instead of home isles. Ireland hasn't even been a home nation for a very long time !
​Dunno mate, what's a BTCC?​

​Nascar has a charming history being originally races held between the beefed up cars used to outrun the cops while running moonshine. Now the sponsors have taken over and the managers worry more about "diversity" than the cars. It's been popular in The South for about 100 years but with the current trajectory I reckon it will lose most of it's audience within the decade.
​British Touring Cars Championship. Once upon a time all of the manufacturers used to compete now it's private teams.
BTCC history!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-btcc/history-british-touring-car-championship-pictures

​Lions are are terrible too. They need to pack it in and go back to being national teams instead of home isles. Ireland hasn't even been a home nation for a very long time !
​that is because Great Britain was hopeless and eliminated in early races-- but LIONS 24-allblacks 21

the best of the united kingdom beat the best of the PACIFIC-great game and well deserved win sets up the 3rd test this coming week as a ripper GO the mighty AB,s

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:36.