Additions to your collection - July 2017

60 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Samoa:

Proud owner of this baby. It looks bad, but in reality, it is a rare/scarce 3/4 Follis of Heraculis that has been overstruck as usual. Dealers pictures, so once it arrives, I'll take some better pictures and thereby removing the current owner's grubby hands :)

Beautiful coins all around! Essor Prof that's a great little group, I especially love the ship.

Quant.Geek I love yours as well, I can't believe the detail on it. But I will never understand why there are so many ads from coin owners where they have the coin in their bare hands.
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​Beautiful coins all around! Essor Prof that's a great little group, I especially love the ship.

​Quant.Geek I love yours as well, I can't believe the detail on it. But I will ever understand why there are so many ads from coin owners where they have the coin in their bare hands.
​I would suspect that, instead of spending the time and effort of measuring a coin, it is far easier to determine the size of a coin visually when held by someone's bare hands...
An ode to Julius for July, i.e., the Roman Empire:

Roman Imperial: Constantine II, As Caesar (316-337 CE) Æ Follis, Antioch (RIC VII 54; LRBC 1325)

Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left
Rev: CONSTAN / TINVS / CAESAR / SMANTA; Legend in four lines; star above

Roman Imperial: Leo I (457-474 CE) Æ Nummus, Uncertain mint (RIC 698-711)

Obv: D N LEO; Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev: Leo standing facing, head right, holding long cross and dragging captive from behind

Quote: "Quant.Geek"​An ode to Julius for July, i.e., the Roman Empire:

Roman Imperial: Constantine II, As Caesar (316-337 CE) Æ Follis, Antioch (RIC VII 54; LRBC 1325)

​Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left
​Rev: CONSTAN / TINVS / CAESAR / SMANTA; Legend in four lines; star above

Roman Imperial: Leo I (457-474 CE) Æ Nummus, Uncertain mint (RIC 698-711)

​Obv: D N LEO; Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
​Rev: Leo standing facing, head right, holding long cross and dragging captive from behind

​you always post very interesting coins, where do you get them if I may ask?
Quote: "Stupendousman35"
Quote: "Quant.Geek"​An ode to Julius for July, i.e., the Roman Empire:
​​
​​Roman Imperial: Constantine II, As Caesar (316-337 CE) Æ Follis, Antioch (RIC VII 54; LRBC 1325)
​​
​​Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left
​​Rev: CONSTAN / TINVS / CAESAR / SMANTA; Legend in four lines; star above
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​Roman Imperial: Leo I (457-474 CE) Æ Nummus, Uncertain mint (RIC 698-711)
​​
​​Obv: D N LEO; Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
​​Rev: Leo standing facing, head right, holding long cross and dragging captive from behind
​​
​​
​​
​​you always post very interesting coins, where do you get them if I may ask?
​Several sources, but primarily auctions. The other sources are vcoins and ebay. Even though auctions are a bit expensive, the quality and the type of coins that are available are hard to beat.
Quote: "MonaSeaclaid"​Beautiful coins all around! Essor Prof that's a great little group, I especially love the ship.

​Thank you. Indeed, the coin with the ship I also like very much. In fact, I have a special predilection for all Pacific Island coins. They are not expensive but unfortunately, here in Europe, they are not as easy to find as I would like them to be.
Here are a few more acquisitions for this month:

New Hebrides:

Fiji Islands:

Papua New Guinea:

Solomon Islands:

Vanuatu:

Cook Islands:

I really like that triangular coin! I think the Cook Islands is the only country that uses triangular coins in their change, I wish more countries would use coins with such odd shapes. :)
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
Quote: "Lotus07"​I really like that triangular coin! I think the Cook Islands is the only country that uses triangular coins in their change, I wish more countries would use coins with such odd shapes. :)
​Here are a few others from Bermuda:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18298.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18297.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces20173.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces20174.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces105287.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces86783.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces86784.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces107776.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces66447.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15328.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15329.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces20182.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces25965.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces70408.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces86786.html

Cook Islands and Bermuda are the only two countries with triangular coins that I know by heart.
Quote: "Lotus07"​I really like that triangular coin! I think the Cook Islands is the only country that uses triangular coins in their change, I wish more countries would use coins with such odd shapes. :)

​Ow sorry, after rereading your post I saw "in their change", which I overlooked at first. So I guess you are right. the copper-nickel triangle coins from Bermuda are marked as "non circulating".
Tonga: 2 pa'anga's, including 1 silver:

"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
Three additions so far ...

'Médaille Art Nouveau CONSERVATOIRE DE MUSIQUE TOULOUSE par Rivet bronze argenté'

'Médaille ASS PHILOTECHNIQUE SECTION DE CHARENTON 1866 par Desaide cuivre'

'Médaille VILLE DE TOULOUSE RÉNOVATION DES MÉTIERS par Rivet bronze'

I got all from the same seller that last month I got the Ville du Havre medal from.
Typically I would have passed right by this one on Ebay as the "newish" seller described it incorrectly. "Canadian Prince Edward Island One Cent 1861" does not exist.

Upon closer inspection, way at the bottom of the listing (where few of us look), he/she had made the date correction and added the comment "Coin Alignment". Based on my Charlton Catalogue this increases the price by 3X. A long story short....I got for less than 1/2 price.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces989.html

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​Typically I would have passed right by this one on Ebay as the "newish" seller described it incorrectly. "Canadian Prince Edward Island One Cent 1861" does not exist.

​Upon closer inspection, way at the bottom of the listing (where few of us look), he/she had made the date correction and added the comment "Coin Alignment". Based on my Charlton Catalogue this increases the price by 3X. A long story short....I got for less than 1/2 price.
​Nice catch!
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "ZacUK"​'Médaille VILLE DE TOULOUSE RÉNOVATION DES MÉTIERS par Rivet bronze'

The goal of the municipal exposition "Renovation des Métiers" in Toulouse (from 1926 to 1930) was to participate in the effort made to train good workers, workers who know their work very well.
Referee of south atlantic islands
Thanks to swaps, I completed the 5 first series of the "Golden Age of Portuguse Discoveries"

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces30809.html

Sorry, I don't have any photos yet.
ROMAE AETERNAE
Australia commemorative 5 dollars (Olympic Games and a few others):

And some silver coins:

I LOVE that holey dollar!
After reminiscing of my childhood with my Granda at the Collingwood memorial I found this nice piece. Commemorating the great man for his efforts in the battle of trafalgar issued by Gibraltar.

Quote: "Frenchlover"​​The goal of the municipal exposition "Renovation des Métiers" in Toulouse (from 1926 to 1930) was to participate in the effort made to train good workers, workers who know their work very well.
Interesting - I read it after I got the page translated. Thank you :)
Quote: "ZacUK"​'Médaille ASS PHILOTECHNIQUE SECTION DE CHARENTON 1866 par Desaide cuivre'
Another interesting medal

"Philotechnia" comes from the Greek "philos": "to have affection"
and "Technie" from the Greek "art", "manual job"
A Philotechnical Association is therefore concerned with culture of letters and arts.
The "Association philotechnique" was originally a Parisian association, founded in 1848 by the mathematician Eugène Lionnet, working in the area of adult education. Several associations with the same name were created in other communes of France in the 1850s.
These Associations offer quality courses in a wide range ranging from classical guitar to astronomy, human sciences, artistic disciplines, modern mathematical, languages, office automation, etc...
I won this in a recent coin club auction

Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​I won this in a recent coin club auction

​ That is nice - well done. And thanks again Frenchlover. :)
These two came in this week:

Victoria and William IV ½pennies, both with the F D countermark from Trinidad. Hopefully the Victoria coin can be cleaned to some extent.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​​
​Victoria and William IV ½pennies, both with the F D countermark from Trinidad. Hopefully the Victoria coin can be cleaned to some extent.
Francois Declos was a local barber in Trinidad who stamped his initials into various 1/2 penny.
Quote: "nthn"​I LOVE that holey dollar!
​And the good part is: I bought these silver coins just around bullion value.
Quote: "Frenchlover"
Quote: "Camerinvs"​​​​Victoria and William IV ½pennies, both with the F D countermark from Trinidad. Hopefully the Victoria coin can be cleaned to some extent.
Francois Declos was a local barber in Trinidad who stamped his initials into various 1/2 penny.
I'm impressed that you could retrieve those posts! ​I am currently working on it, which explains some of my requests to Numista members. The whole thing is beyond fascinating.

(I appreciate the fact that you remove pictures when you quote! That's what I do as well and it reduces the amount of scrolling for everyone.)
Quote: "ZacUK"
Quote: "ashlobo"​I won this in a recent coin club auction
​​
​​​ That is nice - well done. And thanks again Frenchlover. :)
Many thanks. This is how it looks in the cassette

I also picked up this dime since the guy was was selling it at a pretty good discount compared to the normal price

Outings administrator
On my coins map Lesotho switched from blue to green:D
My latest two additions from July.

If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Picked up several coins this weekend, but my two favorites are:

Byzantine Empire: Constantine VI & Irene (780-797) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1598; DOC-7)

Obv: Crowned bust of Irene facing, wearing loros and holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter
Rev: Crowned bust of Constantine facing, holding globus cruciger; pellet to left; to right, cross above pellet; in exergue, large M between X N and above A

Macedonian Kingdom: Philip V (221-179 BCE) Æ Unit (SNG Alpha Bank 1090-1; Touratsoglou, Macedonia 14; SNG München 1163; SNG Cop. 1250-1251)

Obv: Head of youthful Herakles to right, wearing lion skin
Rev: BA Φ; Two goats kneeling to right, corn of ear below

Italian Honey Bees from the interbellum period, all different.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "apuking"

​Love this one
Quote: "neilithic"
Quote: "apuking"
​​

​​Love this one
​Love it too.
Got a couple of Iranian coins.
Here are those I prefer. Some are missing in numista.

1 Qiran - Fatḥ Ali Qajar from AH1242, Shiraz mint

Nasir al-Din, AH1313, 500 Dinars, KM 898
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces62087.html

Pictures were missing. So they are from my coin :)

Husayn Safavi AH1131, Abbasi, Nakhchivan mint

Husayn Safavi AH1134, Abbasi, Isfahan mint

Ahmad Shah, 500 Dinars, AH1330, KM 1036
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces64391.html
Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
I've just bought my first coins for about a month.

But I've got a whole lot of Lithuanian coins on the way that will majorly boost my current Lithuanian collection of 3 coins
Another scarce Byzantinum coin that you don't encounter very often has joined my collection this month. What a find, and on ebay nonetheless. The condition rivals even the top coin that sold for over $400 on an auction!

Byzantine Empire: Michael I Rhangabe (811-813) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1617; DOC 7, attributed to Michael II)

Obv: mIXAHL bASILЄ; Crowned facing bust, wearing loros, holding globus cruciger and scepter
Rev: Large M between X/X/X and N/N/N; cross above; A below

I won this earlier this month-

An off metal strike dreiling from Lübeck, for $188 I think I got it for a pretty decent price.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
Went to Amsterdam yesterday and got some souvenirs ;)

The banknotes (except for the 2 Mark and 50 Dinars) were all 1€ each and the six coins were 1 euro in total. Probably not the bargain of the centruy, but still a decent price for some hole fillers! :) (also you can't express happiness in terms of money! ;) )
-Plato

Got this beautiful queen Tamar regular AE with nice patina.
Quote: "Quant.Geek"​Proud owner of this baby. It looks bad, but in reality, it is a rare/scarce 3/4 Follis of Heraculis that has been overstruck as usual. Dealers pictures, so once it arrives, I'll take some better pictures and thereby removing the current owner's grubby hands :)

​Love+ !!!
Two more "F D" countermarked coins from Trinidad:

The first host is an 1864 UK ½ penny. The other is an 1827 Charles X colonies françaises 5 centimes. It is NGC certified, but it will soon come out of that ugly holder ─ and one can barely see the coin in it.
I haven't bought any new coins for a while, but I did add some new references to my collection. I'd been thinking about picking up the Davenports for years and finally did it.
Not many additions recently - just these two ...

'1794 Middlesex Hendon Conder Halfpenny D&H 324'

'Frederic King of Prussia 1758 / Defender of the Protestants - German Medal'
A co-worker brought in a beer glass full of coins for me to dig through today, mostly pre-Euro stuff he had brought back from his travels - a nice gesture on his part and a welcome addition to my collection. :) Here are the ones I pulled out, 15 coins total, in varying conditions (vf-unc):

UK - 1983 Royal Arms 1 pound, 1973 Entry into EEC 50 pence
Denmark - 1983 5 Kroner
Norway - 1990 10 øre, 1973 50 øre, 2 x 1 Krone (1978 and 1983, same type, diff. mint marks), 2x 5 Kroner (1964 and 1979, diff. mms), and 1986 10 Kroner
Sweden - 1986 10 øre, 1982 50 øre, 2x 1 Krone (1984 and 1987, diff. types)
Mexico - 10 Pesos Año 2001

Plus, a couple other coins I bought earlier this month.

ps: If you're registered on Colnect, you can see all my other coins from the last 30 days here: http://colnect.com/en/collectors/log/collector/Houseofham/collectibles/coins
HoH
No pictures yet, but in another thread I mentioned that I pulled a 1943-S Jefferson war nickel out of a roll at work while I was putting change in the cash drawers at the end of the night. It's not pretty, but I swapped it for a 2015 in my pocket. Not bad getting it for an even, face-value exchange.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did.  I said I didn't know." - Mark Twain
Lithuania, Lithuania and more Lithuania....oh, and did I mention Lithuania

​Nice! 13/14 :)
ROMAE AETERNAE
Indeed, very nice coins.
It's a pity you can't see them as they look in the hand to. My scanner seems to wash out the colour and luster of the coins and dulls the details. Oh I also got some non-Lithuania coins too

Picked up a lot of Roman coins (as well as several lots of Byzantine coins, but I will post that later :)). Bit excited about this one in comparison to my previous one:

And for any Indian collectors, check this out. A collection of palm leaf manuscripts, written in Sanskrit, walked through my door:

Quote: "Quant.Geek"​Picked up a lot of Roman coins (as well as several lots of Byzantine coins, but I will post that later :)). Bit excited about this one in comparison to my previous one:

​​

​Where on earth do you find all these ancient coins with such great detail?
Quote: "Quant.Geek"​Picked up a lot of Roman coins (as well as several lots of Byzantine coins, but I will post that later :)). Bit excited about this one in comparison to my previous one:
​​
​​
​​​

​​Where on earth do you find all these ancient coins with such great detail?
​A time machine! Caesar wasn't thrilled when I raided his personal coffer :O.

A lot of the coins I buy are from auctions, dealers and ebay. My philosophy is to purchase quality over quantity. I would rather have a $20 coin than 20 $1.00 coins. When I was a wee lad, I used to purchase quantity over quality as I couldn't afford spending too much on a quality coin and hence I was more than happy with a $1.00 coin...
Yup, I'd rather wait for a high grade coin and pay a little (or not so little) more, than waste money on low-grade placeholders.
HoH
Quote: "Quant.Geek"

​​​
​​​
​​​​
​​
​​
​​​Where on earth do you find all these ancient coins with such great detail?
​​A time machine! Caesar wasn't thrilled when I raided his personal coffer :O.

​A lot of the coins I buy are from auctions, dealers and ebay. My philosophy is to purchase quality over quantity. I would rather have a $20 coin than 20 $1.00 coins. When I was a wee lad, I used to purchase quantity over quality as I couldn't afford spending too much on a quality coin and hence I was more than happy with a $1.00 coin...

You're absolutely right! Same here. I prefer to buy one coin in few months, but a decent one than to buy numerous cheap coins and to have an over 10 kilo collection. Collection is first of all about quality.
ROMAE AETERNAE

Just ordered this (actually the 1969 mint set). I love this coin and can't wait to get her in the mail.

This one for me :-)
Always look on the bright side of life!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:59.