Just Wondering: will Reval Become a Country? [solved]

5 posts

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a country in the catalogue

Upvotes: 0
Downvotes: 0
Hello!

I was looking at the coins minted for Estonia, and I noticed one coin not like the others (take a look and you should be able to spot it right away). While the second oldest coin was minted in 1922, the oldest was minted in the 1500s, and is labelled as being from under the Swedish occupation of Reval. And seeing as how Riga was split from Livonia, I am now wondering if Reval (nowadays Tallinn) will be split from Estonia. The downside is that there would be only one coin in that country, but that would not be the only country with so few coins!

And here is a link to that lone coin: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38168.html

Thank you for your time, and have a wonderful day!
I think we need to either consolidate all the Swedish Baltics (Livonia, Riga, Reval, Elbing, possibly others I forgot) into one category, or make them all separate countries.
That said, I can understand why Swedish Elbing, in particular, might not deserve being called its own country.

(Also, since I have coins from three of the four Swedish Baltic occupations I mentioned, this would totally bump up my country count for no real reason - which is, in fact, part of why I'm pushing for this. I would be fine with the consolidation, however.)
Agreed. Now come to the lower regions. There are also lacking of lot of countries. There are no specific countries listed such as Principality of Transsylavania, Holy Roman Empire, etc. etc.etc.
Well, other Livonian countries have become separate, and Reval got stuck in Estonia as it occupied really just Estonian territorry.

There are more coins to be listed under Reval, and I guess we could have it separated from Estonia, as it lacks immediate continuity. We will need to discuss this on admin level, because if we do this here, same would apply for Bosnia, Serbia and Bulgatia medieval kingdoms, which are now listed in their modern counterparts.

Continuity will be major problem here. We have continuous Hungary in onenl piece and continuous France separated in several countries.

Speaking for myself, I would go for separation.
Catalogue administrator
Alright; good to know! Thank you!
Topic moved to "Numista catalog" (Xavier, 10-Feb-2019, 12:44)
Status changed to Accepted (Jarcek, 19-Jun-2019, 08:29)
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 19-Jun-2019, 08:31)
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 19-Jun-2019, 08:32)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:11.