Coin from Ragusa?

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

Can someone help to identify this coin. It seems from Ragusa but cannot find anything similar at Numista.

Best Regards,
Owais
This should be your coin, Ragusa, 1 ducato, KM# 15.
But I'm afraid yours is only an imitation of the real coin:

Yes, it is.
Look at the reverse side, is rotated few degrees.
It is Silver for sure. Do they make fakes in silver also?

Is it a possibility that the reverse side tilt is a minting error??

What are the other characteristics that you see, which makes this coin an imitation or fake in your opinion?
I would not say that it is fake only becouse it has a small rotation diference
In my opinion, you can see it is fake by looking at the face and the hand of the bishop. These are really not well made, looking at the real coin.
Put the two coins aside and look at all the differences. The lettering is different, but especially your coin only shows outskirts, there is no filling between the lines:

Especially, like Choukas said, look at the face and hand of the bishop. On your coin it looks like a caricature. The hand looks like a flower and the face of the bishop looks like a knight in armor:

Owais, what makes you so sure it's silver. Which tests have you done?
Hi All,

I agree to your comments and am very much convinced that it is a fake. There are alot of differences.

Regarding tests for silver, I did magnet test and ice test. Read about them on the internet.

Are there any other household tests to find out if it is silver or not?

Best Regards,
Owais
There are tests that can ruin a coin, such as the acid test, but since it's a fake that doesn't really matter. For what it's worth if I were making a replica I'd use silver.
It's probably not silver, something nikel with steel most likely

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:46.