100 mon (most probably fake)

7 posts
Hi, I was excited to find this interesting 100 mon coin in my box of coins to identify. But the more I look on the Internet, the less it appears genuine. It has the correct weight (20,2 g), but it does not seem to bear the mint marks on the edge. Mind you, the edges are filed, so maybe it was erased... It looks worn, but I believe it might just be "fake worn" to deceive tourists. There's also a die crack, but it looks like it was molded, as it should be. Not the mention the color of gold showing at on place where it was filed off. I hope at least that it's a contemporary counterfeit, which would be interesting even so. What are your thoughts ? I'm starting to feel more and more disappointed :snif:

Thank you.
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !
the white gypsum is added after production
I have also one...
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Then there's nothing interesting in a modern replica. The strange thing is that there also are modern restrikes, and they don't have that phoney look. Too bad I was so happy for something that turns out to be bogus :snif:
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !
:DBuying Chinese coins always has risk.....
coin collector.....
The characters are quite fuzzy and the side marks dont come of the sides easy so I would lean to fake too. I'm not sure how the contemporary forgery situation was or if it's a modern chinese work.
Sorry, but on the bright side genuine ones aren't that hard to come by :)
That's why it is so stupid to make fake ones, the real ones aren't even that scarce ! I haven't bought it, I work as a sideline job for a numismatics store and I bring home coins to grade and find the value. They sometimes put fake ones to test me, so I don't even know if they knew about this one or not. The funny thing is that CGB.fr has only had modern replicas for sale (couldn't they find a real one, really ?), and some have the "filed off style" and "funny lines" on them. And they sold for quite a lot (20 euros or more is definitely too much for a modern replica !). I live in Canada, I don't think these ones are often seen here, maybe in Vancouver but certainly not in Quebec !
In fact, those from CGB.fr are labelled as modern restrikes. Here are those that are the most "off" :

- http://www.cgb.fr/japon-100-mon-type-1835-1870-refrappe-moderne-variete-a-trou-etroit-n-d-ttb,fwo_411744,a.html
- http://www.cgb.fr/japon-100-mon-type-1835-1870-refrappe-moderne-variete-a-trou-etroit-n-d-tb-,fwo_364214,a.html

Certainly the one that is the closest to the one I have. The funny thing is that they come in various states of preservation... How can a modern restrike be F+ ?!?! To me, they were made recently (just how recently it is, it's anyone's guess...), so they never circulated... Maybe I have a modern restrike... I know it's a fake one, but what kind of fake one now ? It's confusing B.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:57.