The 2017 Numista holiday gift exchange

132 posts

» Quick access to the last post

OK! Looks like I have volunteered myself to organize the 2017 holiday gift exchange.

The idea is to spread numismatic camaraderie and holiday cheer around the world by exchanging a small gift. The list of all the people participating will be shuffled and then each person will send a coin to the next person on the list (receiving a coin from the previous person).

Send one coin (well, I'm sure no one will be upset if you send more than one), as well as a postcard from your city or a low-value banknote from your country - something to share some local flavor with our fellow collectors.

Due to popular demand, this year there will be two options for coins to send and receive:

1) A coin of any sort, with a value of "a few" (i.e., 2-5) dollars, Euro, etc.
2) A silver coin, with a value of 5 to 10 dollars/Euro/etc.

You can add yourself to either or both lists. If you've already registered for one list and want to switch or add to the other, just let me know! If you want to be on a list multiple times, that's fine as well; you'll just send out multiple coins as well as receive.

Please register in this thread by the end of November. I will randomize the list on December 1st and post the resulting order in another thread. I feel that the international friendship aspect of this exchange is important, so I will attempt to keep as many coins as possible travelling to other countries around the world.

NOTE: If you live in a country that has restrictions (that are enforced) on sending and receiving coins only from certain countries, please let me know! I can manually tweak the ordering to make sure you are sending and receiving to a "friendly" country if necessary. But do let me know, because we don't want the "chain" to get broken and someone to end up emptyhanded.

Once the list is posted, please contact the person to whom you are sending in order to get their address. If their collection is open for public viewing, you should try to pick a coin that they don't have! Otherwise, take a look at their collecting interests for inspiration.

The following people have registered for the holiday gift exchange:

General coin exchange:
Jesse11
jimpop
JustForFun
worth
Ghawk97
JRo69
ashlobo
ashlobo
Myeackle
Pott
Dutchgalego
Sim420
zakaye
SquareRootLolly
miragex
Bartweegie
rparker
Ecapoe
cncote10
Grinya
johnspa
sferreira
viorel.iosub
relief
gridironshowcase
GiannaReggio
maudry
PatGav
szmata
raduga7
gdrsb
BramVB
Nefer
Koin72
Leitwolf
Stomac

Silver coin exchange:
Jesse11
redsmithstudios
nthn
nthn
​cro321
Myeackle
Pott
Sim420
JustForFun
worth
Bartweegie
opannob
Ecapoe
Grinya
jimpop
Papprika
viorel.iosub
GiannaReggio
maudry
raduga7
Michaelw90
gdrsb
BramVB
ks37217
Koin72
Leitwolf
Last year was great, looking forward to do it again.
i would love to take part again! I very much enjoyed this for the last 2 years!
I am in...

It will be great if we could have two categories... Silver and the normal whatever coin!

:)
JustforFun...
I really enjoyed it! I am certainly in again.<:D
I did it last year and I will do it again this year.
I would like to do this again this year.
i just want to make it official, i'm out..last year i was apparently in, without really realising it, but since i didn't had the time for it i got a lot of crap for destroying the fun, so i'm out this year..sorry guys!
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
It was really fun last time round, I'd be happy to do it again
Outings administrator
Quote: "JustforFun"​I am in...

​It will be great if we could have two categories... Silver and the normal whatever coin!

​:)
​Great Idea, regular coin of $2, or silver coin of $5 or $10 what do you think?

I for one would be interested in the silver swap!

@ Ngdawa, what the Hell man, how is anyone supposed to interpret that?

Last year I had a crappy experience, almost didn't get my gift, (frenchlover had to help out!) I would have been fine with that, its not about me, its really just about having fun. I'm not going to miss out on this year because of one bad experience.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Silver swap sounds good! I'm in.
I'm in, sign me up please :)

Quote: "redsmithstudios"
Quote: "JustforFun"​I am in...
​​
​​It will be great if we could have two categories... Silver and the normal whatever coin!
​​
​​:)
​​Great Idea, regular coin of $2, or silver coin of $5 or $10 what do you think?

​I for one would be interested in the silver swap!
​I would also join the silver swap, my only concern is wouldn't this split up the the user base too much? Maybe there should just be a minimum value set for the coin we send/receive? Anyway, I'm sending a silver coin regardless of what the format will be...
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
Silver would be seprate from normal, with the option to join both. We will have to see how many members we get.

Jesse11, you might as well start the list on your first post.
Do we get an option to swap in the same country? I'd love to do a silver crown size swap with mark or something, but it'd cost me loads to send abroad, making the coin essentially worthless unless they were more 'valuable' types.
I don't think it really matters how many people participate, except that the more the merrier. You send one coin, you receive one coin, and it doesn't make any difference whether there are five people in the "ring" or fifty.

Oggy, I know last year Frenchlover specifically programmed his spreadsheet to always swap out of country if at all possible, to maximize the international camaraderie of the whole affair. I'm not sure I have the time to do the same, but I think the idea is sensible.
Definitely prefer to stay in country. Because We would be in a ring, only one person max would have to send out of country per country.
Oggy, your right about high shipping costs, one coin is not as bad cost wise but still, however, I think keeping it in the same country when possible would be very hard, I would prefer that too, but it would take someone a lot of work.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

I really think it should be international and random, selecting who you'll send to and talking over what will be sent is just like any other swap, there's nothing special about it, no surprise in it....however I do understand why members from countries that have high international shipping cost would like to keep it within their own country :(
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
I liked the international nature last year. It really made it a bit exciting to open my package from another country on Christmas day.
I liked how we added a postcard from where we're are from I still have mine from Neil in my new office area in my new house. Either way I'd be interested in doing it again only difference is watch who gets paired up when there is a international ban between countries last year I had to mail mine to a middle man.

Matt
I think we should have any option for the sender to choose, banknote or post card, I spoke with several members who preferred a banknote to a post card, I also gave the option for my recipient, and he chose banknote, so its just a thought. Some like postcards, others like banknotes.

International is great, but on a $2 coin shipping gives is a bit of a sting, that's why I like the idea of a $5-10 silver coin option, its gets past that shipping cost threshold. plus I'm not really interested in to many $2 coins, I don't mind getting a $2 coin, I am only doing it for fun after all, but it would be nice to get something I actually like. With silver I'll be guaranteed to at least get a silver coin.

This sounds like an awesome opportunity to build community. I don't collect silver, and wouldn't have much to offer if there was a silver requirement.

I look forward to hearing more about this, and I like the idea of keeping it simple. One coin sent, one received, and a post card or a small bill from local currency.
I'd like to join in the fun please!
So basically the program should be like this.

Local Postal Card + Stamps in envelope (I don't collect them, but I know few of us like them and it wont change the price of the shipping at all).

Normal Exchange: Whatever Coin of about 2 dollars and up (up to you)

Premium Exchange: Silver coin of 2.5g and up (up to you)

2$ coin + postal I believe will be around $5 - $6 range for the Normal Exchange for anyone around the world... if you live in a area with postal restrictions/ sanctions mentioned since day one for consideration.
JustforFun...
Normal Exchange, Premium Exchange does not really fit with the Christmas spirit. <:D
You can count me in.
Cents are money too!
OK, I've made this the official thread and started collecting names. If you want to be added, switched, or removed from either the general or silver exchange lists, just give a shout.

We've started a bit late, but I figure if we generate the list by December 1st that should give enough time to get coins sent out in time for Christmas or New Years.
Yep that's perfect for me to stick to the General category. I can even go twice like I did last time.
Outings administrator
I would like to be removed from the general swap, and add another one to silver.
You can put me down for the silver exchange as well.

Matt
I am in for both.

Sim
Looking for more countries. Open for Swaps.
Jesse

Could you add me in both :°
JustforFun...
Quote: "Andy289"​Normal Exchange, Premium Exchange does not really fit with the Christmas spirit. <:D
​Expecting something in return does it?
JustforFun...
You can add me to the silver exchange as well. I want to be in both.
I'm keen, but only for the common coins, I don't have much in the way of silver yet :`
Quote: "JustforFun"
Quote: "Andy289"​Normal Exchange, Premium Exchange does not really fit with the Christmas spirit. <:D
​​Expecting something in return does it?

I really don't since my priorities are not collecting right now but I have here few friends that will receive something for Christmas. Anyway what I wanted to say it's that even here people have to show their opulence and make two lists for normal and premium exchange. It's a know fact that many Numista users are young. Did you think about how some member might feel if they cannot afford a coin to be on premium exchange list? That's not Christmas spirit it's just a list for bulk exchanges.
Add me in :]

The general one, not the silver.

Best,
SRL
Quote: "Andy289"​​​
​I really don't since my priorities are not collecting right now but I have here few friends that will receive something for Christmas. Anyway what I wanted to say it's that even here people have to show their opulence and make two lists for normal and premium exchange. It's a know fact that many Numista users are young. Did you think about how some member might feel if they cannot afford a coin to be on premium exchange list? That's not Christmas spirit it's just a list for bulk exchanges.
​Seriously?
JustforFun...
If someone feels bad because they don't have a $10 coin and only a $2 coin, perhaps they need to examine their own heart, I am not responsible for other peoples bad choices or bad attitudes, and feeling bad because someone else has something you don't is a bad attitude. By the way, that's called coveting, its not healthy.
What should I do with my collection, hide it? I have some nice coins that some people don't have.....

Quote: "redsmithstudios"​If someone feels bad because they don't have a $10 coin and only a $2 coin, perhaps they need to examine their own heart, I am not responsible for other peoples bad choices or bad attitudes, and feeling bad because someone else has something you don't is a bad attitude. By the way, that's called coveting, its not healthy.
​ What should I do with my collection, hide it? I have some nice coins that some people don't have.....
​I don't have a lot of silver or expensive coins to swap, but I don't feel bad about it and certainly don't feel bad that you do. Great for you. If anything, I'd like a more expensive collection, but have to live in reality's parameters.
Let's look at this as it is. If a person wants to be in the silver swap, they can, and if they can't or don't want to be, we have the common swap. The main thing with the Christmas exchange is to spread the spirit of the season around with some genuine generosity.
You know David there are people with other things going on. What are not there choices, health or family issues. And may not have anything to do with what you have and I don't. It may have to do with med's , food and rent.
Why are we getting so negative . I have to agree with Andy on this one. Coin values are very different from country to country. Things will get lost and it is easier to replace a 2 dollar coin than a 10 dollar one. Really is charismas a dollar thing or a gift from the heart thing.
Me iam sitting out the holidays this year. It not the easiest time of year for me.
Well everyone I hope you have a safe and happy holiday
yours daryl
It is, what it is, or is it.
Will the french side of the forum be involved in this? Last time they were and I imagine the more the merrier :)
Outings administrator
Quote: "ashlobo"​Will the french side of the forum be involved in this? Last time they were and I imagine the more the merrier :)
​I think that is a great idea, but I'm not fluent in French. If someone (who is bilingual and frequents both forums) wants to translate the main post and maintain the signup lists, I'll be happy to merge the lists together when randomizing them.
Quote: "Jesse11"
Quote: "ashlobo"​Will the french side of the forum be involved in this? Last time they were and I imagine the more the merrier :)
​​I think that is a great idea, but I'm not fluent in French. If someone (who is bilingual and frequents both forums) wants to translate the main post and maintain the signup lists, I'll be happy to merge the lists together when randomizing them.
​OK, I posted in the french forum. I'll maintain the list there and keep you informed at the end of each day

https://fr.numista.com/forum/topic64510.html#p523479
Outings administrator
Hello everybody,

I come from the French Numista, I'm ok for the normal exchange.

Many thanks
Augustin Dupré (1748-1833)  graveur général des monnaies
I'd like to participate in both gift exchanges. Hopefully this year my letter won't be stolen by thieves in the postal service.
Hello,

can you register me, thank you.

opannob
Silver coin exchange:
Hi Jesse,

You can count me in for both. Silver and regular.
Preference for international ! It's fun, and considering the amounts people spend around Xmas time, postal fees ...
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
I prefer to do the regular exchange...it was very to do last year!
add me to the both, please
Medieval sets for swap:https://en.numista.com/forum/topic140941.html

My personal list of scammers from Numista: erniemix, yvain, CassTaylor
Regular Exchange please. Thank-you
up for silver exchange please
Add me for silver coin exchange <:D
You can count me in regular exchange.
I have preference for international. It was perfect last year! <:D
Please count me in for both silver and regular.
I am happy to partecipate both for the silver and for the regular coins
Gianna
CirculableCoins
Thank you for organizing the gift exchange this year.
Please count me in for silver and non-silver.
Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
Thanks for this gift edition, please register me for regular and for silver list.
You can count me in for a silver coin exchange.
Special interest in Coins from the Low countries (Feudal-present). Former numista referee for Low Countries Feudal, Burgundian Netherlands, Spanish Netherlands, Dutch Republic, Netherlands and Netherlands East Indies.
We might want to get this going if we want the members to receive the coins by Christmas.

Matt
Quote: "Jesse11"​Please register in this thread by the end of November. I will randomize the list on December 1st and post the resulting order in another thread. I feel that the international friendship aspect of this exchange is important, so I will attempt to keep as many coins as possible travelling to other countries around the world.

​Deadline is end of November and the list is out on December 1st
JustforFun...
Would like to participate in both categories.....
Lithuanian coins 1495-1536   www.facebook.com/halfgroats/
My numismatic Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwEPpYSqc_8AVX6ObayWn6w/videos
going for both categories ... please add me to the lists
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
I'm in for the silver exchange as well. Should be fun.
Hello All I would like to join both groups.
Thank You
Always remember, No matter where you go, there you are.
Hi, I would like to join both groups.
Thank you all - registration is now closed. I'll randomize the lists today and post the final version later.
Great, I've kept the French side informed with the Participant list. Will wait for you to announce the sequence and then post it there as well
Outings administrator
If not too late, I'm in for the general coin exchange!
The finalized lists for both the general and the silver coin exchanges are now posted in the Free Discussion forum! Ashlobo, please feel free to post on the French forum as well.

We got started a bit late, so let's try to send out our gifts as soon as possible so they can be received by Christmas and other holidays.

(Stomac, I did sneak you onto the list before I shuffled it. :`)
Thanks a lot !
I knew numista holds a gift exchange, but I just couldn't find it anywhere. I am guessing I am too late now. Maybe next year!
Quote: "Hello There"​I knew numista holds a gift exchange, but I just couldn't find it anywhere. I am guessing I am too late now. Maybe next year!
​You may do the holiday gift exchange with me if you want to. Luck me than, will have 2 gifts. :)
I have a stock of some old silver, VOC and dutch provincial coins to add to the swaplist (just waiting till the holiday gift it's done because I don't want to spoil the surprise effect).

Just send me a PM if you're interested.
Cents are money too!
Thanks Jesse11 for organizing all this.
Im in in both if not to late !
Former numista referee for Poland and half of african countries.
I invite you to my FB group about commemorative coins : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1635288620035921
can I join?
Good evening

I received the Christmas present, thank you Matt, I am going to open the day of Christmas.
Got mine yesterday. No way I could wait until Christmas. Thank you raduga7 for a wonderful bunch of coins!
Hi, folks!
Seems I missed greatest event of the year. :(
Every single coin on the world should meet its collector!
Quote: "KasparsLV"​Hi, folks!
​Seems I missed greatest event of the year. :(
​But you can still participate in MPCC 2018!
ROMAE AETERNAE
Quote: "relief"​Good evening

​I received the Christmas present, thank you Matt, I am going to open the day of Christmas.
​So glad you got it I hope you enjoy!

Matt
Got my silver coin today.
:wiz:
Thank you to my <:D
Ma collection de Révolutionnaires - My coins from the French Revolution
I received my gift from Relief. I am waiting until Christmas to open it.
I received mine as well from szmata, thank you!
Hello,

I received the gift from Jimpop, impossible to wait until the 25/12 ...

I open it today, a very great Christmas gift !

Thank you James. <:D
Mine have arrived. I have to wait to open them so I can be a good example to the niece and nephew.... I'm tempted to make a tiny hole in the corners so I can peek inside.... Waiting is hard!
Thank You, Santa, for wonderful gift from France!
Lithuanian coins 1495-1536   www.facebook.com/halfgroats/
My numismatic Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwEPpYSqc_8AVX6ObayWn6w/videos
Hello,

Matt's great present, three attractive currencies which goes into my collection.
I do not resist to show them to you.

I received 2 Lithuanian 2 Euro Commemoratives from gdrsb in Vilnius, Lithuania! I am very happy with my gift!Beautiful coins! Thank you! :O
Very Happy to open my gift from Viorel!

Merry Christmas All!

Outings administrator
I got these lovely coins from Matt and John

Thank you so much!!!
JustforFun...
Quote: "JRo69"​I received my gift from Relief. I am waiting until Christmas to open it.

​It was worth the wait for these French beauties - 1939 25 Centimes, 1949 10 Francs, 1961 5 Centimes and 1986 10 Francs. All in XF to AU condition. Beautiful.
Thank you Philippe
I got a nice bunch of coins from Nefer incliuding a D-day 2 Euro. Thanks my friend..
Hi,

Five coins for the Christmas Gift ! :love:

A special thanks to jimtop (UK).

Got myself a beautiful queen Victoria farthing under the Christmas tree. Straight from Santa Jesse himself!

Thanks a lot :wiz:

Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
My gift arrived today: Thanks a lot to zakaye for this really nice Vanuatu-coin and card of Abel Tasman Coastline! A long, long way half around globe from NZ to Germany. :wiz:

Received a nice Dutch silver coin, still waiting my gift from Hong Kong

It is my first time to partecipate in this initiative, but I liked it very much
CirculableCoins
Received these beautiful coins from Riccardo in Italy. Thanks very much.

Have not yet received silver from Romania. This was my first year will be back next year.

Sim
many thanks to Sferriera and Pott for the gifts, i love them and i am very thankful!

happy colecting, james
Received post from Romania in today's mail will open later today.

Sim

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:33.