Question for referees; does your work change your interests?

7 posts
Obviously this will differ from person to person, but I became referee for French Indochina/French Cochinchina/Tonkin because of my interest in French colonial issues; the same goes for my interest in British colonial issues and my referee-ing for Hong Kong, Straits Settlements/North Borneo, Ceylon, and New Guinea.

But some of the coins issued by countries whom I only took referee jobs for because I had knew the language on their coins or some other reason have really grown on me, for example I find myself interested in the modern commemoratives put out by Côte d'Ivoire, or Guinea when I actually stumble across them in a store, since I've spent hours adding them to the catalogue.

Same goes for Singapore coins; doesn't it feel good to buy/own a coin you added to Numista? I've also had a newfound craving for the 1920s/30s Albanian issues, a country whom I just finished renovating. It's fascinating to learn parts of a foreign culture's history through researching and modifying their commemorative coins, and learning bits of their language through it, whether it's Albanian or Chinese or Sinhala.

Anyone else who's a ref can identify with this feeling?
One year ago I ended up buying this coin solely because I've added it to the catalog:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces29641.html

Whether you want it or not, you befriend the coins from your 'countries'.
ROMAE AETERNAE
Italian states referee-ship has definitely increased my knowledge for Italian states, and my interest in them. If I could only pick one "country" to collect from, it would be Italian states. Definitely an expensive pursuit, but so interesting.
My referee work doesn't change my interests, but it certainly has some influence. Last week I bought a golden 50 dollars 2005 from Kiribati only because I'm the referee for Kiribati and that coin isn't in our catalogue yet. I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't the referee or if the coin was already in our catalogue. Not because that coin doesn't interest me, on the contrary, I have a big interest in Pacific Islands coins but together with all the other ones, this kind of coins are a bit over my budget.

It's not yet in our catalogue because I haven't received it yet.
Quote: "Essor Prof"Last week I bought a golden 50 dollars 2005 from Kiribati only because I'm the referee for Kiribati and that coin isn't in our catalogue yet.

​Sadly enough, the value of this coin (and all Kiribati coins) should sky rocket in value as they will be the first country to physically vanish from the planet. Our modern day Atlantis.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​​​Sadly enough, the value of this coin (and all Kiribati coins) should sky rocket in value as they will be the first country to physically vanish from the planet. Our modern day Atlantis.

​I thought that was Tuvalu?
Quote: "Essor Prof"
Quote: "Peter M. Graham"​​​Sadly enough, the value of this coin (and all Kiribati coins) should sky rocket in value as they will be the first country to physically vanish from the planet. Our modern day Atlantis.

​​I thought that was Tuvalu?
​I think it's basically half a dozen island nations in the Pacific that are endangered by global warming.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:09.