Hello, I am a new member here

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I got here because my son gave me a set of 1912 coins from the US. He said visit a site called Numista for some help on coin collecting. I am 53. I have a few coins already but I have no idea how this site works. I had managed to learn how to mark off coins that you have. Is there anything else I need to know about?
Welcome to Numista, in my opinion the best and most user friendly website for coins, especially for managing your collection or in case you're interested in swapping.

You'll find a lot of extra information in the tab "Numisdoc", especially in the topic "Numista documentation", like this one: https://en.numista.com/numisdoc/how-to-enter-your-coins-to-your-numista-collection-144.html

And you can ask any specific question on the forum. You'll notice (most) members are very friendly and helpful.
Numisdoc is very useful but a bit outdated.
If you don't know what to do, you can visit the "Numista website" page or ask me.

Welcome!

Best,
SRL
Welcome to Numista! :wiz:
Welcome!

I believe the next thing you need to do is, spend your life savings on coins! (8
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Also, don't do any Swaps until you are comfortable. I was lucky enough to avoid one known swindler by taking my time and accepting good advice from the Numista community.

Welcome and enjoy.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Welcome!
I hope you'll have a wonderful time here! Don't be hesitant to ask a question if you have it. There are always people happy to help here, and I've been constantly surprised at how fast and friendly the answer tends to be.
Thank you all for your advice! Now another question. Is there a price checker on this site? I really want to get some 1850, 60's era coins and I don't know the specific prices for them.
Welcome!

If you get into collecting at more than a superficial level and to make the most of the information in Numista and to enjoy the assistance of other members, you will need some basic supplies beyond those needed to store the coins. I was surprised by this when I started. You will eventually need a catalogue or reference of some sort to supplement the Numista information on types and variants and what years and mints of a specific type are available in the areas you decide to collect, you will need a good scale (weighing to 2 decimal places in grams) to weigh your coins and a good calipers (best would be digital) to measure them, you will need a magnet of some sort to distinguish magnetic and non-magnetic coins, and you will need a microscope to get a good view of the details of the coins and a camera or scanner to take photos of your coins. These can be acquired gradually as you need them, at a range of prices to suit your needs. You probably need not buy a catalogue every year (and buying one of a year or two earlier than the current year will save you a lot of money) as I find Numista adds new coins usually faster than the catalogue publishers. Scales and calipers are reasonably priced. I just happened to have a magnet about the size of a US cent already that serves my purposes. I use a cheap hand-held microscope of 40X I found on eBay. And I use an Epson scanner.

Your specific needs will depend on how involved in collecting you wish to be. And members of Numista will be glad to help you get the most out of your collecting experience.

Will
@Mr.Chaney 1: Welcome and I hope you enjoy this site! 2: There's a series of books you can look on the price on. If you referencing to 1800's American coinage, you can get a Price book/coin book. Theres also the Klaus catalog. Hope this can help.
I am that serb. xd
Quote: "thatcanadianserb"​@Mr.Chaney 1: Welcome and I hope you enjoy this site! 2: There's a series of books you can look on the price on. If you referencing to 1800's American coinage, you can get a Price book/coin book. Theres also the Klaus catalog. Hope this can help.
​You mean the Krause catalog?
Yes I meant Krause. Sorry I spelt it wrong.
I am that serb. xd
I had found a few coins books online and bought them. Also is there such thing as a coin holder? There's 20th century coin holder on Amazon and other places. Are they worth buying?

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:17.