'Non-circulating coins'

5 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 1
Downvotes: 0
So I have a little suggestion; while adding coins we get the option of them being Common coins, Circulating Commemorative coins, or non-circulating coins. What bothers me is that a lot of coins that were minted only as part of presentation/proof sets, and never actually circulated, are being marked as Common coins.

My suggestion is that we replace 'non circulating coins' with two options: 'Commemorative coins' and 'Non Circulating Common coins'.

This would balance out 'Common coins' and 'Circulating common coins' as well.
lot of coins that were minted only as part of presentation/proof sets, and never actually circulated should be marked as Non-circulating coins. Problem solved.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek" lot of coins that were minted only as part of presentation/proof sets, and never actually circulated should be marked as Non-circulating coins. Problem solved.
​I should have been more clear; coins that aren't actually commmemorating anything, but were never released for public circulation (e.g. the 1941 Hongkong 1 Cent) for whatever reason, should be IMO marked as 'Non-circulating common coins'.

In the same way that commemorative coins that do circulate (e.g. the Olympics 50 Pence pieces ) are marked as 'Circulating Commemorative coins'.
Commemorativness is marked purely by writing something to commemorative field, not by type.

Common coins have no commemorativity, circulating commemoratives have it (obviously) and rest can be chosen, if they are commemorative or not - any non-circulating coin, pattern or even token can either be commemorative or not.
Catalogue administrator
Ok, fair enough. As admin you probably have more qualifications to talk about it than I do z)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:40.