What do you do when your elderly neighbor is taking $43 in pennies to the bank?

8 posts
Well you buy them of course!
I caught him on the way to his car, he said they have been sitting in a box since the 80s!
I can only imagine the loads of wheat pennies in here!

Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Keep us updated Keep an eye out for ghosting

an the small and large dates
It is, what it is, or is it.
Sounds like great haul!
Great reactions on your behalf, happy hunting!8)
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
I was going to say - Buy them!:wiz:
I wonder if he has any dimes or quarters?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
BTW, you should make a careful note of the contents. It's a rare chance to record some useful information on the way our currency population changes. Future generations will bless you.

I'm guessing the majority will be the pre 1982 copper type with a healthy number of wheat cents. In 2018 wheat cents have vanished and even the copper types are scarce.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Congratulations! What a cool find good luck hunting.

At my bank on Monday just for the fun of it I asked the teller if she had any half dollar or large dollar coins (they never do) and was very pleased to hear from her that she had just taken a deposit of $80 in Kennedy half dollars.

I purchased every single roll and coin. I filled in 30 dates and mint marks (all XF, AU, and a few UNC) empty spots in my collection (yea!!), however no silver. The ones I did not need or were bad I used to pay part of a utility bill (the tellers love it when you bring in change)

The few leftovers I used at Jack n the box to buy lunch. It was funny the young girl at the counter kept turning over the half dollars and reading what was on them. For a second I had a strange thought pop into my mind that she was going to bite down on one like I have seen in old movies. I do not think she thought they were real US coins.
Sadly whoever rolled these up back in the day went through them for wheat's, it's about half 1959-1981 and half 1982-1984.

After going through a couple rolls and discovering this, I was planning to take them all to the bank, but my 6 year old started helping me separate the years, stack them and roll them back up again. My 5 year old joined in and even my 3 year old spilled pennies all over the place. So I did get some quality time with my kids plus a pretty big math lesson!

At least I'll be able to get a bunch of copper rolls out of it. $25 in copper pennies is pretty heavy, it will make it harder to haul off my safe.

A final note: it's a shame to find lots of mint condition 70's cents and just roll them back up again, but I'm assuming there are plenty of mint state pennies out there, they really are not worth separating out right?
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:48.