Female Coin Collectors

36 posts

» Quick access to the last post

A fellow female coin collector here on Numista and I were wondering if there were any other female coin collectors in the forums? Of course, we appreciate all coin collectors - just curious if there are any other ladies lurking around? Drop us a note below :) CHEERS!
Not me, but there are two female referees here. ;) I wont name though, since I have to respect privacy of such info.
Catalogue administrator
Reporting for duty; I'm one of them. I think I know who the other one is, but I'm also going to respect privacy of info :)
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Reporting for duty; I'm one of them. I think I know who the other one is, but I'm also going to respect privacy of info :)

​Didn't know you were a girl 8). Awesome!
A gallery of my coins and artifacts can been seen on FORVM Ancient Coins
I love the gender neutrality of numismatists!:)
If only everyone acted with such respect.
This is the 100th anniversary of women's voting power in the uk 1918-2018!
Check out the new 50p...
https://www.changechecker.org/coin/224/50p-The-Representation-of-the-People-Act.aspx
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
Quote: "Quant-Geek"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Reporting for duty; I'm one of them. I think I know who the other one is, but I'm also going to respect privacy of info :)
​​
​​
​​Didn't know you were a girl 8). Awesome!
​I usually don't explicitly mention it, it would've been basically inviting trouble from a troll.
I wonder if he'll show up on this thread? x.
There is also MonaSeaclaid, our Irish Chocolate Lady, and Ginger who posts in both English and French.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​There is also MonaSeaclaid, our Irish Chocolate Lady, and Ginger who posts in both English and French.
​MonaSeaclaid is a girl too???!!!? Kudos to all the known and unknown members. I am glad there are more female collectors, the more the merrier...
A gallery of my coins and artifacts can been seen on FORVM Ancient Coins
I know what you mean about being neutral but it's always nice to find the diamonds in the ruff too! LOL :) I say this because I am a life long Baseball Card Collector, too, and am the only female that I know of that has collected BB Cards for as long as I did.

Speaking of 'right to vote'...that is one of the many types of coins I am looking for from around the world...Votes For Women, Women's Suffragists UK/USA and around the globe! Thanks for that link! I will add it to my wish list!
Also - if any of you ladies would like to swap sometime let me know :)
Quote: "JenniferB"​Speaking of 'right to vote'...that is one of the many types of coins I am looking for from around the world...Votes For Women, Women's Suffragists UK/USA and around the globe! Thanks for that link! I will add it to my wish list!
​There is a nice series of Women's Year which is also part of the FAO Series... I think I have a couple for swap, maybe not in my list yet but can update during the weekend, it might be one of the Silver Coins from India. 10 or 50 Rupees.
JustforFun...
There's gonna be a whole lot of new Women's Suffrage commemorative coins coming out in the UK and US soon, with the centenary of the enacting of Women's Suffrage in 1918 and 1920 in both countries respectively coming up.

From BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-42921164
Quote: "JustforFun"
Quote: "JenniferB"​​Speaking of 'right to vote'...that is one of the many types of coins I am looking for from around the world...Votes For Women, Women's Suffragists UK/USA and around the globe! Thanks for that link! I will add it to my wish list!
​​There is a nice series of Women's Year which is also part of the FAO Series... I think I have a couple for swap, maybe not in my list yet but can update during the weekend, it might be one of the Silver Coins from India. 10 or 50 Rupees.
​Drop me a message if you happen to locate them and want to do a swap!?!?!
Quote: "CassTaylor"​There's gonna be a whole lot of new Women's Suffrage commemorative coins coming out in the UK and US soon, with the centenary of the enacting of Women's Suffrage in 1918 and 1920 in both countries respectively coming up.

​From BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-42921164
Indeed! The 100 year in New York was 2017 but the US-National is 2020 as you stated...I think there are groups here that are planning celebrations :)
I find it quite tragic that many of us in European countries will have to wait a while longer for any centenary of women's suffrage coins... Spain will be in 1931, whilst France and Italy in 1944-45; Portugal in 1946, and Belgium in 1948. Sad! :(

@JenniferB Your dog up there is very adorable and I say this as a cat person :)
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I find it quite tragic that many of us in European countries will have to wait a while longer for any centenary of women's suffrage coins... Spain will be in 1931, whilst France and Italy in 1944-45; Portugal in 1946, and Belgium in 1948. Sad! :(

​@JenniferB Your dog up there is very adorable and I say this as a cat person :)
I totally agree with your comments on the 'long wait' for other countries! Very sad!

RE: my dog...thanks! That's when he was a puppy. He's almost 7 now. He's had some health issues most of his life but is still a happy dog and such a character!
Quote: "JenniferB"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I find it quite tragic that many of us in European countries will have to wait a while longer for any centenary of women's suffrage coins... Spain will be in 1931, whilst France and Italy in 1944-45; Portugal in 1946, and Belgium in 1948. Sad! :(
​​
​​@JenniferB Your dog up there is very adorable and I say this as a cat person :)
​I totally agree with your comments on the 'long wait' for other countries! Very sad!

​RE: my dog...thanks! That's when he was a puppy. He's almost 7 now. He's had some health issues most of his life but is still a happy dog and such a character!
​It gets better, some cantons of Switzerland didn't give women the vote until literally, 1990!

I'll just have to wait until I'm 90 for those centenaries' commemorative coins to come out, then.
Hello all,

And unfortunately, it hasn't gone very far, I mean, salary discrepancies, % in national parliaments, in high position jobs, etc etc. I live in the very conservative - and catholic - Austria, and it is ... humm, what about cooking and taking care of kids girls ?? Lot to go yet to get beyond symbols.

Look at that thread about women on coins, I did not count but a very large proportion are allegories. Would it mean something :., I guess so. At least that most coin designers are males :D, although I don't know.

Best regards, and happy collecting !
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
Quote: "JenniferB"​I know what you mean about being neutral but it's always nice to find the diamonds in the ruff too! LOL :) I say this because I am a life long Baseball Card Collector, too, and am the only female that I know of that has collected BB Cards for as long as I did.

​Speaking of 'right to vote'...that is one of the many types of coins I am looking for from around the world...Votes For Women, Women's Suffragists UK/USA and around the globe! Thanks for that link! I will add it to my wish list!
It's a great coin and I hope to get it myself.:)
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "JenniferB"

​​​
​​​@JenniferB Your dog up there is very adorable and I say this as a cat person :)
​​I totally agree with your comments on the 'long wait' for other countries! Very sad!
​​
​​RE: my dog...thanks! That's when he was a puppy. He's almost 7 now. He's had some health issues most of his life but is still a happy dog and such a character!
​​It gets better, some cantons of Switzerland didn't give women the vote until literally, 1990!

​I'll just have to wait until I'm 90 for those centenaries' commemorative coins to come out, then.

That's not the whole truth though. In Switzerland women obtained the right to vote in national elections in 1971, but obtained the right to vote at local canton level between 1959 (Vaud and Neuchâtel were the first ones) and 1991 (Appenzell Innerrhoden was the last one).

​And in the US isn't the women obtained the right to vote in 1920, but although legally entitled to vote, black women were effectively denied voting rights in numerous Southern states until 1965. :(
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Iam not sure if I should be saying anything here, being a male. But the US has had one coin for a woman rights founder. But everyone forgets it. The lonely Susan B Anthony 1 dollar coin Km#207.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: "Ecapoe"​And unfortunately, it hasn't gone very far, I mean, salary discrepancies, % in national parliaments, in high position jobs, etc etc. I live in the very conservative - and catholic - Austria, and it is ... humm, what about cooking and taking care of kids girls ?? Lot to go yet to get beyond symbols.

Leftist-liberal bullshit media opinion.
;(
Fact: Most female study genderstudies and other nontechnical crap which nobody needs.
Why dont shareowners install then only female CEOs with that strange greenparty logic? 20% less wage to pay....
Main Referee for Hutt-River
​​I usually don't explicitly mention it, it would've been basically inviting trouble from a troll.
​I wonder if he'll show up on this thread? x.

Here it is ​.... and look at it go! :O
​​​I usually don't explicitly mention it, it would've been basically inviting trouble from a troll.
​I wonder if he'll show up on this thread? x.
​​
​​
​Here it is ​.... and look at it go! :O
​Yeah i excuse my mistake. Studying History is off course superimportant for mankind when you can just google everything up or watch the history channel.....

:°
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ Iam not sure if I should be saying anything here, being a male. But the US has had one coin for a woman rights founder. But everyone forgets it. The lonely Susan B Anthony 1 dollar coin Km#207.
​I'm not sure why you'd ever be barred from discussion.  :)

But don't forget the Sacagawea Dollar. The American aversion to using a one dollar coin is fascinating.
We have a few female coin collectors here. The median age of the coin collectors I have seen visit the shops is about 70. Sadly, I have not seen any women under about 40 or men under about 30 asking for coins, the youngest was a young boy asking for stamps.

But for the "coins and voting" part.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13584.html
(I wonder why the coin looks so weird, but) This is a commemorative coin of Minna Canth, a well known Finnish feminist. She was also a writer, a journalist and a shopkeeper.

10 years after Canth had died, everyone over 24 years of age got the right to vote, which was later changed to 18.
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ Iam not sure if I should be saying anything here, being a male. But the US has had one coin for a woman rights founder. But everyone forgets it. The lonely Susan B Anthony 1 dollar coin Km#207.
Male, female, whatever; shouldn't automatically exclude you from any conversation; it's the quality of your input that counts :)

@Mona about the link Ecapoe gave us, it's fascinating to see how female depictions on coins are either personifications (Marianne, Britannia, Liberty, etc.) or busts of female monarchs (Victoria, Maria Theresa, etc). But to be fair most male depictions on coinage also fall into one of the two categories anyway.

@Ecapoe you've made some great points... always a shame to see obligations for someone based on 'tradition', although at least we've progressed so now it's (mostly) just a societal thing in conservative rural areas, and not a legal ban on women taking on larger roles.

@Hamster Google-d history is probably still, far more reliable than if one were to come up with their 'original interpretations' of it. :°
Quote: "CassTaylor"​@Mona about the link Ecapoe gave us, it's fascinating to see how female depictions on coins are either personifications (Marianne, Britannia, Liberty, etc.) or busts of female monarchs (Victoria, Maria Theresa, etc). But to be fair most male depictions on coinage also fall into one of the two categories anyway.

​I actually find it very fascinating how few personifications take male form when compared to the number of female effigies there are, particularly from cultures where women weren't typically given positions of power or authority.
51 year old female, sorting many coins that have been in jars etc.
Rebecca from Ohio, back and forth between West Texas and Southern Ohio.
Rebecca
Makes no Difference a Coin Collector is a Coin Collector and I don't care what Gender the Fascination of Numistic and its History is all that is required as individuals we never know it all and never will so the Giving and Receiving of Knowledge is very satisfying and Fulfilling specially when something Stumps you and someone has the Answer to Your Question.
Ian.
Personally, I would love to see more women in this hobby. I have found shows & workshops to be dominated by men. So often these collectors tended to be opinionated & too eager to espouse their expertise. Women, on the other hand, often brought a fresh perspective (& their sense of humour) to collecting which I have always found to be refreshing. I have really enjoyed their company, learnt something new & have seen some great notes (& coins) from one who I met (& who happened to be a bank manager) at the last show I attended. She was a hoot & active in her local coin club.

I have enjoyed seeing a few women become dealers, & its always nice to see more female collectors balance out the shows by perusing the bourses or attend the odd workshops. They're seldom afraid to ask tough questions that many collectors might be curious about but wouldn't bother asking. I hope to see more women enter this hobby (& the sooner the better).
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
Don't be fooled guys, they're all FBI plants. There are NO real women on the internet, none, nada, zilch, zip.

Not even my beautiful green eyed Alabama redheaded wife.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I am a female collector, and in the past I have been able to make two swaps with two other she-collectors
So not so many but we are here
CirculableCoins
Lurking
I collect. Pennies and quarters but a good amount of foreign. Almost whole map. Bank notes and all sorts of items. Age 51
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​Personally, I would love to see more women in this hobby. I have found shows & workshops to be dominated by men. So often these collectors tended to be opinionated & too eager to espouse their expertise. Women, on the other hand, often brought a fresh perspective (& their sense of humour) to collecting which I have always found to be refreshing. I have really enjoyed their company, learnt something new & have seen some great notes (& coins) from one who I met (& who happened to be a bank manager) at the last show I attended. She was a hoot & active in her local coin club.

​I have enjoyed seeing a few women become dealers, & its always nice to see more female collectors balance out the shows by perusing the bourses or attend the odd workshops. They're seldom afraid to ask tough questions that many collectors might be curious about but wouldn't bother asking. I hope to see more women enter this hobby (& the sooner the better).
​I have Introduced my Granddaughter and Son in law to Coin Collecting both are into old English Copper Coins and the knock on is it has opened there Eyes to History of both Coinage and where and how Coins originated.
Ian.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:24.