Duchy of Merania - New Issuer ? - medieval Slovenia Austrian States ?

8 posts
Hello,
I just checked a coin I validated as Salzburg pfennig: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces135908.html

It is not a coin from Salzburg, this Otto was never Bishop there but rather Duke of Merania.
See wiki: The Duchy of Merania (German: Herzogtum Meranien, Slovene: Vojvodina Meranija) was a fiefdom of the Holy Roman Empire from 1152 until 1248.
The coin was minted in Gutenwerth (present Slovenia) and has a CNA number (corpus Numorum Austriacorum).

Auction houses and sellers often put it with the Austrian States. This short lived - 100 yr - Duchy was born at the same time as the Duchy of Austria. It is currently in what is now Slovenia, maybe a bit of Italy, Croatia.

Ruckser (catalogue of Austrian Medieval coins) has those, in a separate section.

What should we do ? Create a Duchy of Merania in Slovenia ? do it in the Austrian States ? Italian States ?
Quand l'Histoire et la Géographie se croisent sur nos pièces de monnaie ...
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
Traducteur, demandez en cas de besoin ! Translator, ask if you need !
It seems you are correct https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2196003
On another forum someone pointed me to a link which described this coin as being from Salzburg.

Yes it should be created but Im also not sure under where, the more I read about the Herzogtum Meranien, the more unsure I am :-)
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Austrian States I would say.
New issuer of course, but where to put it? Austrian states seem like good solution, I am not sure, maybe it could be under Slovenia, but it would be quite lost there.
Catalogue administrator
Agree Austrian States is probably best.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Hello,
Fine.
Does an admin have to do that ? Or can I just create a new currency ?
Referee for Austria-Habsburg, Austrian Netherlands, Austrian States, Bohemia, Silesia.
You can, I will create new issuer afterwards (it will need the currency anyway).
Catalogue administrator
Hello,
Done. I let you clean the issuers and currencies. Put "Duché de Méranie" in french.
Thanks,
André

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 00:31.