200 pesetas exchange to euro

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Guys, are these coins https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2285.html
exchangeable at the national bank in Madrid?
A simple Google search says:

"Former national banknotes and coins, such as Deutsche Mark or Spanish pesetas,can in most cases still be exchanged for euro. This is done only by the national central banks. The ECB does not exchange any banknotes or coins."

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/exchange/html/index.en.html

This is a very generalised answer but the link above has a more definitive one; the chart there says Spain will allow the exchange of both Peseta coins and banknotes until the 31st of December 2020.
From what I've read from the Spanish national bank website, that specific coin , can't be changed.
Can anyone confirm?
I also remember reading that only the last circulating pesetas can still be exchanged, so only the more recent and bigger 200 ptas coins. The one you linked to was already taken out of circulation before the eve of the euro.
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
This coin can't be exchanged.
That's true, I tried to exchange these a month ago.
Quote: "kommodore"​From what I've read from the Spanish national bank website, that specific coin , can't be changed.
​Can anyone confirm?
​Looks like I was wrong (kind of).
Now I really want to know why that particular coin cannot be myself.
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "kommodore"​From what I've read from the Spanish national bank website, that specific coin , can't be changed.
​​Can anyone confirm?
​​Looks like I was wrong (kind of).
​Now I really want to know why that particular coin cannot be myself.

It's hard to imagine why you struggle with that concept.

Example: You can still exchange old £1 coins with your bank, but can't exchange 1820's shillings or 1920's pennys. or even 1980's pennys or 50ps.
Quote: "oggy"
Quote: "CassTaylor"

​​​Can anyone confirm?
​​​Looks like I was wrong (kind of).
​​Now I really want to know why that particular coin cannot be myself.
​​
​It's hard to imagine why you struggle with that concept.

​Example: You can still exchange old £1 coins with your bank, but can't exchange 1820's shillings or 1920's pennys. or even 1980's pennys or 50ps.
​Just a non-optimal attempt at Google-fu, my friend. :D

But what I want to know is why those particular 200 Pesetas coins cannot be converted? The BdE website says "These coins, together with the 2,000 pesetas coins, are the only ones that can be exchanged at the Banco de España until 31.12.2020." under a picture of 1990s coins labelled 'The last peseta coins in circulation'.
https://www.bde.es/bde/en/areas/billemone/Publico_general/Billetes_y_moned/

In contrast I read that until 2005/2012, French franc coins and notes (respectively) from all the way back to 1960 (start of the nouveau Franc) could still be exchanged. It's not unreasonable to have a cutoff point (like not allowing the exchange of 19th century silver pesetas, for example) but why such a stringent one with Spanish pesetas? Maybe because the Franc coins from after 1960 were of a more consistent value/composition than post Franco pesetas?
I had a feeling it's not accepted.
So is it easy to swap pesetas for euro at the national bank in madrid?
In germany, dortmund it was really quick and easy.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​​But what I want to know is why those particular 200 Pesetas coins cannot be converted? ​

​It is because the issuers of the coins were "Tesoro Público", a government agency, before 1997; and "Banco de España", a public bank, after. The banknotes always "Banco de España".

Banco de España, now a member of European Central Bank, recovers its issues, but not those of the government.
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "kommodore"​So is it easy to swap pesetas for euro at the national bank in madrid?

​Banknotes are easy. You can request the change online or by mail and send the money by mail.

Coins have to be changed at the counter in Banco de España, Madrid or local branches. I suppose it's quick and easy, but never done.
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "zegeri"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​​But what I want to know is why those particular 200 Pesetas coins cannot be converted? ​
​​
​​

​​It is because the issuers of the coins were "Tesoro Público", a government agency, before 1997; and "Banco de España", a public bank, after. The banknotes always "Banco de España".

​Banco de España, now a member of European Central Bank, recovers its issues, but not those of the government.
​Ah, makes sense.

Thanks for your reply, now that was useful and informative!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:45.