3 strikes system

9 posts

There seems to be a lot of bickering and personality clashes on he site at the moment. Perhaps we should introduce a three strikes system. If the moderators get a complaint of a personal attack on another member with supporting evidence (screen shot or forum link)

• First instance - A warning issued to the offending member

• Second instance - A ban of a couple of weeks issued

• A third instance - The offending member has their profile removed completely 

Let me clarify that I'm talking about actual personal attacks, not debates about coins, catalogue or the website

What? Me Worry
I'm not sure how much I like the idea. I mean on one hand, the potential threat might convince the more volatile folks to steer clear of ad-hominem and outbursts of expletives in debates, but on the other hand the potential for misunderstandings especially for those who speak imperfect or different dialects of English or are more "predisposed to be offended" by someone else (for lack of better wording) seem to outweigh the benefits.

Besides, three strikes to permanent removal seems harsh even for the worst perpetrators on this forum (well, maybe not). I'm usually opposed to maximum penalties in whatever context, and in my mind you'd have to do something really awful (e.g. scamming someone out of money/coins, giving out users' information in public, or hacking others' accounts) for that.
Hello,

this system seems quite reasonable. In theory, it's already the system described in forum guidelines; and regarding the evidence part, there already exists a private "Moderation history forum" to compile deleted/offending/etc. posts.
I admit it's not totally up to date then it might rather require to enforce the idea you're describing.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
​I wonder if the referee with a warning will be able to work? The referee, after all, too can receive a warning for frequent provocation, is not it?
This is my soft, very unobtrusive hint.
Quote: "Cyrillius"The referee, after all, too can receive a warning for frequent provocation, is not it?

​Indeed, anybody (regular member, referee, master referee, admin) can receive a warning and/or a ban.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Quote: "CassTaylor"on the other hand the potential for misunderstandings especially for those who speak imperfect or different dialects of English or are more "predisposed to be offended" by someone else (for lack of better wording) seem to outweigh the benefits.

​Even people who speak ​English as a second language know the difference between attacking the idea and attacking the person. Also I said the complaint needs to be sent with supporting evidence to the moderator. They can then decide if the comments are personal attacks or just a heated debate over ideas. Even if there is a misunderstanding and the personal attack was unintended, then getting the warning first will allow the offender to see what is acceptable and what is not.
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"
  • A third instance - The offending member has their profile removed completely ​
​Rules are always necessary to control people... even if everyone disagree! I have a disciplinary procedure at work for this kind of scenarios!

However I will say that for the third strike its not completely necessary to remove the profile, but complete banning from the forum section. This way the person can still manage her/his collection and perhaps complete swaps!

Just 2 cents from my side.
JustforFun...
Quote: "JustforFun"
Quote: "neilithicman"

• A third instance - The offending member has their profile removed completely ​

​​Rules are always necessary to control people... even if everyone disagree! I have a disciplinary procedure at work for this kind of scenarios!

​However I will say that for the third strike its not completely necessary to remove the profile, but complete banning from the forum section. This way the person can still manage her/his collection and perhaps complete swaps!

​Just 2 cents from my side.
​I think if you do that it's still possible to harass people through PM.
What? Me Worry
Or maybe a profile ban that may be appealed through e-mail depending on the situation.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:50.