How do you catalog your fakes?

4 posts
I know this has been discussed before, and there seems to be no readily available solution (correct me if I wrong!), but all of the Numista users who want to catalog your fakes must do it somehow, right?

What do you typically do? Just enter it as if the coin is real and write "fake" in the description? I started doing exactly this, but it just does not feel right. Also, some fakes do not exactly match their real counterpart (I have one that has the obverse of one coin, but the reverse of a different coin).

And yes, I am completely new to this, bought a used album to manage my expanding collection at an affordable price, and there were some "assorted old coins" included with it. Some of them look as if they are rare silver coins (yeah, you got me, for a few minutes I thought I scored big!), but in truth are forgeries (they are magnetic, that's your first clue, and there are many other indications as well). I would really like to catalog these things somehow.
Quote: "yuretzius"​What do you typically do? Just enter it as if the coin is real and write "fake" in the description? I started doing exactly this, but it just does not feel right. Also, some fakes do not exactly match their real counterpart (I have one that has the obverse of one coin, but the reverse of a different coin.
​Please do NOT do that! It messes up the NRI (Numista Rarity index), as well as the metals and silver weight stats in the "My coins" tab. And I'm with you, it doesn't feel right either...

I think a solution would be to make a new entry in Tokens/Exonumia for fake coins, (e.g. 5 Francs - Napoleon III (fake/imitation)) and catalogue your fakes there. I have my eye on a contemporary counterfeit of a Chinese Junk Dollar, from the 1930s-40s, and if/when I receive it that's what I plan on doing. Not sure how the admins feel about this practice?
Not really up for this. And it's not a one admin decision ;)

We discussed this a bit last week but for now this brings up some other troubles then no separate section for now.

But, as I quickly implied in another thread, the numisdoc about fakes should be back on track soon to welcome members' fakes updates ;)
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Yes, the NRI and bullion calculation immediately suffer, so it is hardly a good thing. I think I came up with a temporary solution: enter it as is, then export the catalog into the Excel format, copy only the lines of fakes into a different file -- and then delete the entries in the Numista web catalog. This keeps all the references for myself as well as all the relevant info on the real coins that were imitated. As for the others, I'll wait for the updatable fake section.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:35.