My stamp collection (proselytizing)

18 posts

» Quick access to the last post

what is great when starting a new collection is that it progresses very quickly at the beginning.
"A stamp by country and currency" (extented definition depending on stamps I get :°) and in no time I reached a hundred stamps and a few doubles that I've just begun to list.

If someone is interested, I'm sure we'll soon cover the whole world :8D
Referee of south atlantic islands
Wow, I love the historically accurate flags you used! :8D

I collect stamps as well, but not like I used to; I used to actually go to philatelic shops looking for types I didn't have yet, but ever since I got my Penny Black I've more or less ceased buying stamps, unless I see something interesting which does happen once in a while. Nowadays all additions to my (2000+ according to my Colnect) stamps collection are usually just stamps on packages and letters that I receive and cut out.

I am no philatelist, and my stamp collection is very much a sideshow to my coins and banknotes, but here are some of my favourites (that I have photos of).

Quote: "Frenchlover"​If someone is interested, I'm sure we'll soon cover the whole world :8D
​This list is for what you have or for what you're missing?
Frenchlover,

Good luck in your noble endeavor. This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date list of stamp issuing entities I have found. http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/stamp-list.html

Here are others: http://zenius.kalnieciai.lt/

http://www.stampworldhistory.com/stamps-issuing-entities/ (the author died in 2016 and the list is not being maintained)

http://web.archive.org/web/20121010153223/http://www.jl.sl.btinternet.co.uk/stampsite/home.html (an older site)

and the Wikipedia version https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Compendium_of_postage_stamp_issuers

I used to collect stamps but gave up around 1990 because of too much junk not related to the issuers. I still am fascinated by the history of posts and keep trying to come up with a list of localities within stamp issuers (excluding locals, local provisionals, private issues, issues for steamship lines, railways, airlines). I'm never satisfied with my formats though.

Will
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Wow, I love the historically accurate flags you used! :8D
​​
​I've been surprised by the lack of interest in currencies from colnect. Everything is mixed without meaning. For exemple for Chile, when Numista lists :

Chile Old peso (1835-1960)
Chile Escudo (1960-1975)
Chile New peso (1975-date)

Colnect lists :
Chilean centavo
Chilean centésimo
Chilean escudo
Chilean milésimo
Chilean peso
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I am no philatelist, and my stamp collection is very much a sideshow to my coins and banknotes,
​​
​I'm not a philatelist too, but with more than 200 countries in banknotes, last countries are too expensive and a wold stamp average cost is only few cents ...

Quote: "Giobruno"​​This list is for what you have or for what you're missing?
​It's the list of "entities" I get and a column indicating that I have some stamps to swap.
Quote: "Coinman48" This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date list of stamp issuing entities I have found.
​Great !
Even with one stamp of each entity, I'll need more than on collector book :8D
Wow! That’s very impressive.. keep looking and filling the gaps, hope you reach your target soon....
Quote: "Frenchlover"
Quote: "Giobruno"​​This list is for what you have or for what you're missing?
​​​It's the list of "entities" I get and a column indicating that I have some stamps to swap.

Thanks, I'm checking my doubles and comparing to your list and I'll send you the result via PM.
​​​
​​I've been surprised by the lack of interest in currencies from colnect. Everything is mixed without meaning. For exemple for Chile, when Numista lists :

​Chile Old peso (1835-1960)
​Chile Escudo (1960-1975)
​Chile New peso (1975-date)

​Colnect lists :
​Chilean centavo
​Chilean centésimo
​Chilean escudo
​Chilean milésimo
​Chilean peso
That's what you get when you don't know where to focus your strengths; Colnect's problem seems to be too many areas, I mean coins, banknotes, stamps, medals, postcards, etc, sure; but coffee creamer lids, seriously?

Only 179 collectors as opposed to over 32.000 coin collectors.... 8~
Quote: "CassTaylor"

​​​​
​​​I've been surprised by the lack of interest in currencies from colnect. Everything is mixed without meaning. For exemple for Chile, when Numista lists :
​​
​​Chile Old peso (1835-1960)
​​Chile Escudo (1960-1975)
​​Chile New peso (1975-date)
​​
​​Colnect lists :
​​Chilean centavo
​​Chilean centésimo
​​Chilean escudo
​​Chilean milésimo
​​Chilean peso
​​

​That's what you get when you don't know where to focus your strengths; Colnect's problem seems to be too many areas, I mean coins, banknotes, stamps, medals, postcards, etc, sure; but coffee creamer lids, seriously?

​​
​Only 179 collectors as opposed to over 32.000 coin collectors.... 8~

It's just a different approach to site navigation. Colnect is much more mobile device friendly, letting you search using just your pointing device by selecting a value from a list, without having to type anything in. Colnect also makes much better of the available screen space at higher resolutions. Numista, in the age when 1920x1080 displays are standard, still limits its layout to just 1010 pixels wide, wasting the other 910 pixels.

Not sure why you think the number of different catalogs on Colnect is a problem. It's not like all the catalogs are managed by a single person. Most categories have their own coordinators, editors and contributors. The more categories there are, the more people come to the site, the more money its creator makes from premium memberships.
HoH
Quote: "Houseofham"​=1emThe more categories there are, the more people come to the site, the more money its creator makes from premium memberships.
​I suppose that's true; I'm the last person to tell Colnect how to run itself, but how many other resources for collecting coffee creamer lids (of all things!) are out there?

If it exists I'm sure someone out there collects it; if I were Mr. Wald I wouldn't care to have them as a category on my site. But I guess that's just where we differ, then. :wiz:
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "Houseofham"​=1emThe more categories there are, the more people come to the site, the more money its creator makes from premium memberships.
​​
​​I suppose that's true; I'm the last person to tell Colnect how to run itself, but how many other resources for collecting coffee creamer lids (of all things!) are out there?

​If it exists I'm sure someone out there collects it, but if I were Mr. Wald I wouldn't care to have them as a category on my site. But I guess that's just where we differ, then. :wiz:
People collect the weirdest things. Lol, at least it's a lot more affordable than collecting cars or paintings. Probably easier to catalogue, too.
HoH
Haha, apparently people have collections of:

- toenail clippings
- airplane vomit bags
- bellybutton lint
- back scratchers
- banana stickers

Some of those seem quite reasonable (like autographs and famous people's hair), but I would be a hypocrite to judge either way. :°

Not to bash the coffee creamer lid people again, but where do they go to expand their collection; do they lurk around the rubbish bins in airport lounges or something? 8~
Quote: "Giobruno"​​​This list is for what you have ?
​My first swap of stamps :8D
Thanks to Daryl and Giovanni I've reached 100 countries plus some others still to sort :)
No coin today at the flea market :snif:

I just bought some stamps for a total amount of 4€:
- Oceania - French overseas territory
- New Caledonia
- Qatar
- Mutawakelite kingdom of Yemen
- New Zealand (Georges VI)
- Turkey
- Samoa
- China
- Taiwan
- Scotland
- Siam
- Spanish Cuba
and those following stamps, particularly interesting

- Spanish Porto-Rico
- Spanish Philipines
- Tannu-Tuva (less expensive than their coins :°)
- New Hebrides
- Airmail taxes stamps from Poland 1921 that are mint never hinged, mintage 50,000 that worth a few dozen euros :8D
- Wallis et Futuna
- France (Pétain)
- UK (Victoria)
- Saint Pierre et Miquelon
- New Caledonia (free France)
- British Solomon
- Syria
- Tasmania
- Arménia
and then one arab stamp that might be from Morocco?
I haven't spent money on stamps deliberately in years.... your post is inspiring me to do so. :O

If you allow me to assist, your "Arab stamp" is from the Ottoman Empire, it features the Sultan and a map of the Gallipoli peninsula;
https://colnect.com/fr/stamps/stamp/127269-Map_of_Dardanelles_Mehmed_V-1917-1918_Vienna_Prints-Turquie
PM me if you'd like four stamps from Libya. I received them in a swap, but I don't collect stamps. Better to go to someone who wants them. They are used, but I saw several used stamps in your collection.
I particularly appreciate this gift from the biggest little city (8 in the world ! the homeland of john Glenn :8D

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:29.