2008 Canadian 5 cent

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I have this coin I found a while ago in a roll and wondered what, it was. 2008 Canadian 5 cent, material I think is brass not bronze, 20.8mm dia, 1.8mm thick, 3 g.Edge view shows with normal 5 cent.
Meandering to the Beat of a Different Drummer.
Privately made gilded novelty.
Quote: "Cerulean"​Privately made gilded novelty.
​Would that not make it counterfeit?
Quote: "Terry Mitchner"
​​Would that not make it counterfeit?
​Not really, it's still a legal tender coin made by the RCM, but someone's just had it plated probably sometime after it left the mint.

Not sure if people will accept it, though.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​​​Not really, it's still a legal tender coin made by the RCM, but someone's just had it plated probably sometime after it left the mint.

​That's not correct. The moment a coin is altered outside the Mint it loses it's legal tender. That's why the coloured 2 € coins are not accepted in our catalogue, or the elongated pennies. A privately plated coin is from the same category.
Essor Prof,

I disagree about legal tender. Privately altered (damaged) coins are not listed because they remain the original coin. Those who alter at least American legal tender coins are careful not to destroy the elements that indicate a coin is legal tender, so they cannot be charged with defacing currency. As Cass says, whether anyone would accept the coins is another matter and those who buy such altered coins usually will not wish to spend them and if getting rid of them will try to find an interested collector.

Google "Are colorized (enhanced) coins legal tender" for information.

Will
Hey Will, maybe the law is different from country to country concerning this subject. I don't know the law in the US but fact is, concerning the 2 € coins, the moment they are coloured they lose their legal tender status.
Quote: "Essor Prof"​Hey Will, maybe the law is different from country to country concerning this subject. I don't know the law in the US but fact is, concerning the 2 € coins, the moment they are coloured they lose their legal tender status.
​Well then, to answer Terry's question, a privately plated coin is not a counterfeit, but it may or may not be legal tender/accepted for use in Canada.

But looking at his original post I believe his might actually be a novelty coin and not a plated RCM coin, since diameter is a bit smaller and thickness thinner. But if that's the case they sure have great detail on the beaver and QEII.
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "Terry Mitchner"

​​​Would that not make it counterfeit?
​​Not really, it's still a legal tender coin made by the RCM, but someone's just had it plated probably sometime after it left the mint.

​Not sure if people will accept it, though.
​Did you not read the weight and thickness ? It is NOT a gilded coin, it would have to weigh more or close to a nickel and if you also looked at the edge view you would see that it is thinner.
Took the coin in to Calgary Coin and it was verified as a RCM error Foreign Blank Stamping.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:51.