Can someone confirm who exactly has the authority to create "forum rules"?

9 posts
I was under the impression that rules were created by the site owner and imposed by those he chose to act as moderators, is this no longer the case? I find this to be troubling -

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic71935.html

I'm fine with the actual content as suggestions or guidelines and if I believed that it was a sincere attempt to help, I'd be the first to applaud. But as a rule? I don't think so. A rule implies some kind of authority, other than the self claimed, and in the event of non compliance some kind of penalty. I don't believe I would remain very long on a website where such a person had any authority and in this I can assure you I'm far from alone.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where everyone spoke perfect English, knew exactly what information was needed to provide an attribution and bothered to read the "rules" before making an enquiry. But we don't.

These "rules" are nothing more than an exercise in self aggrandizement and are being used to justify the most obnoxious bullying the Numista forum has ever seen. Since when were terms such as "pricks" and "cretins" acceptable?

Is this how we embrace and nurture new or young collectors?

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic72804.html

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic72524.html

The above examples are not cherry picked to prove a point, they are merely two recent examples of the constant bullying and nastiness that ruined the free discussion forum and is now becoming common in the Coin ID forum. It has a single source. Whenever there are any kind of disruptions, trading insults or pointless arguments, it has a single source. Isn't it long past due to recognize that simply removing this single source would create a better, more informed, more friendly Numista?

I've always said that while Numista has it's problems it's greatest strength was it's friendly community which was largely free of the toxic egos of larger coin websites. The past 12 months have seen this turned completely on it's head.

The cause is as clear as the solution.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I'm sorry to read this, but you're absolutely right. I like Sophie for her proactiveness and participation on the forum but recently she has crossed the line far too often.

Sophie! Arrogance and disrespect towards inexperienced collectors will not make you a better collector or website member and won't get any respect from other forum members. Confrontation, trolling and controversy must have no place on what used to be a friendly forum.

Unfortunately, in my position, I have no power to decide who's banned and who's not, but I can still express my opinion: I'd ban you, Sophie (@CassTaylor). Nothing personal, we do have good relations but your behavior on the forum makes things worse for everyone.

P.S.: Since you're neither the owner of this website nor its admin - please don't impose your rules on others. You may suggest, but not demand and then abuse other members.

Regards,
Oleg
ROMAE AETERNAE
Quote: "druzhynets"​I'm sorry to read this, but you're absolutely right. I like Sophie for her proactiveness and participation on the forum but recently she has crossed the line far too often.

​I sadly have to corelate to this. Line was breached with "cretins".

To answer the original question. Xavier has right to change and impose forum rules. Moderators should enforce them, and are highest authority on everyday basis on the forum. They can pin-up the thread they deem is worthy and which adds something to the community or is in some way important. Guidelines for adding identification requests is something that surely passes all these points, but personally, I would have deleted the "rule/must/have to" words and replaced them with "guidelines and should". I am going to request exactly that. Moderators should have come to Xavier, or at least to me or Pejounet before adding this as pinned thread.

To be fair, this thread balances on the thin rope of some targetted harassement. Energy would be much better spent on notifying the moderators. In my personal opinion, harsher moderation would not lead us here.
Catalogue administrator
Hello,

@pnightingale, your deliberate targeting and provocation certainly warrants a public response here. Unless/until a moderator puts an end to this charade of yours, this will be my response to your objections. I'll respond to you and only you.

First off, let me clarify that those "rules and guidelines" are a translation, with minimal edits and visual aids, of the French guidelines that already exist on the FR forum and were written by a former moderator. Please clarify where any of this is "impling some kind of authority, other than the self claimed, and in the event of non compliance some kind of penalty". This is your own interpretation, and I don't believe you would be bringing your paragraphs of quasi-lawyerlike language here once more, if someone else's name had been the author's. Let's face it; your entire grudge here rests on that one name (mine), and that one word "Rules".

But now you've got your casus belli anyway; which brings me to your next point of contention, you accuse me of bullying and self-aggrandisement. Excuse me, but I don't think I'd accept judgement from someone who enters into every single one of those conflicts with an air of pompous self-importance, one of being the great arbiter of morality, grandstanding about "Team Numista kiddies" and whom you'd like to have banned this year.

I don't think I'd accept judgement from this person; here's a random example found by just googling:

"Paint drinkers"? Really? Since when were terms like those acceptable? I'd be happy to find you all some other stellar examples of Phil's courtesy, but for now, off the top of my head, I'm just going to touch on when you so subtly told me to go cut myself:

So this is the oh-so mature patriarch of the Numista forum who passes his omniscient judgement onto us, huh? Let me ask, what exactly is it you contribute that justified your own history of odious remarks of seven years on the forum? Is it your organisation of community threads that you tried to trash in another of your trademark snide jabs? Perhaps it is your contributions to the forum in the form of taking ID requests or writing WCC articles? Maybe it is your work with other members in improving sections of the catalogue and the site that you yourself use? I didn't think so either.

No, I don't believe that this is anything other than a continuation of that little vendetta you've had against me since I've begun to call you out over a year ago on your rant-like, overtly political jabs that pepper every other post you've made in the past seven years. I can more than accept Oleg and Jarek's critiques, without your obvious ulterior motivation behind them; I don't claim to be perfect. But I'm putting that fine bit of bashing at the top of this thread down to you being you; if this helped you release steam and feel better, then consider it a win for yourself.

To finish off dissecting this fine exhibition of hypocrisy:
Quote: "Jarcek"​To be fair, this thread balances on the thin rope of some targetted harassement.
I rest my case.
Quote: "Jarcek"
Quote: "druzhynets"​I'm sorry to read this, but you're absolutely right. I like Sophie for her proactiveness and participation on the forum but recently she has crossed the line far too often.

​To be fair, this thread balances on the thin rope of some targetted harassement. Energy would be much better spent on notifying the moderators. In my personal opinion, harsher moderation would not lead us here.

I agree, but every time I have tried to deal with this or give a warning, I have been met with indignant responses and accusations of unfairness, so up until now have left the other moderators to do the job as Casstaylor feels they are 'fairer' concerning her.

I have also raised the issue in the team forum, and she is now on a final warning following the cretins comment.

I also feel this topic is very close to the line, though parts of it are simply uncomfortable truths that simply needed said. With that in mind I've decided to leave moderation of it to more 'casstaylor friendly' moderators.
Dear all,

I appreciate your interest for the cool atmosphere reigning on this site and thank you for it.

Nevertheless, I am pretty bored with the continuing quarrels. Especially because I do not see either numismatic interest nor ending.

This is a pity since both of the parties are nice persons and contributes / could contribute positively to our common interest.

Could you please both take into consideration what the other says and behave like adults ?

I thank you in advance.
Vieille Pile
Pretty much every forum argument on this site has Cass in the thick of it. She goes on the attack and when she realises that nobody agrees with her she makes a lame attempt to try to be the one to cool things down while at the same time firing her parting shots. Then she plays the victim if people respond to her parting shots. It happens time and time again. The tone of the forums have definitely gone downhill since she's tried to set herself up as the resident expert and sitting on the forums 24/7.

She's gone from newbie asking for some of the free coins I sometimes offer to young members, to expert on everything in the 6 months I was away from the site.
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"​Pretty much every forum argument on this site has Cass in the thick of it. She goes on the attack and when she realises that nobody agrees with her she makes a lame attempt to try to be the one to cool things down while at the same time firing her parting shots. Then she plays the victim if people respond to her parting shots. It happens time and time again. The tone of the forums have definitely gone downhill since she's tried to set herself up as the resident expert and sitting on the forums 24/7.

​She's gone from newbie asking for some of the free coins I sometimes offer to young members, to expert on everything in the 6 months I was away from the site.

Which is why, in case anyone is wondering, I have chosen not to respond to the above deceptively (and repeatedly) edited, over formatted, multi paragraph.... I'm not really sure how to describe it. I'm content to let any reader with more brain cells than teeth​ compare the politely framed original post against the zealously over the top response and draw their own conclusions as to where the problem lies.

"It ain't me babe." - Bob Dylan

I've said what needed to be said and no more. In doing so I carefully avoided using my personal opinion and phrased the question in terms which no reasonable person would object to. Oh, I could have gone on, and on, and then gone on some more, believe me.

"The facts ma'am, just the facts. " - Joe Friday / Stan Freberg
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Affe tot, klappe zu.

Post is closed.
Vieille Pile

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:59.