Lincoln cent 1944, help with identification

15 posts

» Quick access to the last post

This coin feels strange to me, is this coin worthy of collection?
Whether on your screen, this coin looks like an original coin?

Looks perfectly fine and authentic to me.
that is worth exactly 1 cent.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Your opinion means a lot to me
Yes, looks real.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces908.html
It also looks to have been run over in a car park;
I have seen similar happen to UK coins I found in such places.
In case its what you're wondering; 1944 copper Lincoln cents are very common, its the 1943 copper Lincoln cent that's rare. Conversely, 1943 steel cents are common, but 1944 steel ones are rare.
nice collection
Quote: "CassTaylor"​In case its what you're wondering; 1944 copper Lincoln cents are very common, its the 1943 copper Lincoln cent that's rare. Conversely, 1943 steel cents are common, but 1944 steel ones are rare.
​sometimes, I like coins that look weird
Does my coin include a lamination error?
Quote: "Mr-IQBAL001"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​In case its what you're wondering; 1944 copper Lincoln cents are very common, its the 1943 copper Lincoln cent that's rare. Conversely, 1943 steel cents are common, but 1944 steel ones are rare.
​​sometimes, I like coins that look weird
​Does my coin include a lamination error?
​No error, just plenty of abuse
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​that is worth exactly 1 cent.
​If I'm not mistaken, isn't the copper in those pre-1982 US pennies worth something like 2.5 cents?

I saw a documentary about "penny hoarders" hoping to cash in on the copper value once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Es-pATepMg
in fact that is why pennies are no longer made of copper, but lets consider it.
assuming you could get spot price for your ingot of penny copper, which will assay as 95% Cu,
today's price is USD2.66/lb, 1lb=454g, = USD 0.005859/g, one red cent weights 3.11g, so spot value is 1.73 cents.

please note: The treasury looks ill on melting coinage for bullion, it is a federal crime with a maximum penalty of $10,000, so just take the 1 cent each.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​in fact that is why pennies are no longer made of copper, but lets consider it.
​assuming you could get spot price for your ingot of penny copper, which will assay as 95% Cu,
​today's price is USD2.66/lb, 1lb=454g, = USD 0.005859/g, one red cent weights 3.11g, so spot value is 1.73 cents.

​please note: The treasury looks ill on melting coinage for bullion, it is a federal crime with a maximum penalty of $10,000, so just take the 1 cent each.
good info. thank you
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"
​please note: The treasury looks ill on melting coinage for bullion, it is a federal crime with a maximum penalty of $10,000, so just take the 1 cent each.
​ouch. B.

Relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UT04p5f7U
Nooooot precisely.
Yes, don't melt nickles and pennies as that is a crime, but in my simple pre-law student understanding dimes and up are legit targets. This goes back to the time such coins had an intrinsic metal value due to silver or gold content. I can't quite remember the rationale for not allowing smaller denominations to be melted too, but either someone will enlighten us or I'll remember by tomorrow morning.
ooooh maybe I'll just say the word "Lobbyists"
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Quote: "loruca"​Nooooot precisely.
​Yes, don't melt nickles and pennies as that is a crime, but in my simple pre-law student understanding dimes and up are legit targets. This goes back to the time such coins had an intrinsic metal value due to silver or gold content. I can't quite remember the rationale for not allowing smaller denominations to be melted too, but either someone will enlighten us or I'll remember by tomorrow morning.
​ooooh maybe I'll just say the word "Lobbyists"
​Actually I believe this is a more recent law, made so people don't cull all of the nickels and copper cents from circulation. Hence why other coins can be melted down.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:40.