The future of coins

15 posts

» Quick access to the last post

How do you think future coins would look like? (If money would be used in future and coins)

Coins have been used since Mesopotamia. They have changed from

​​​​​
​​to for example, this 25 euro commemorative:

with tiny features. This is an amazing coin.

The material has also changed from clay to gold and silver, from gold and silver to copper-nickel and other cheap metals.

There are many different options what future coins may look like. They may be from silver and gold or even cheaper metals than now, they may be very simple or have microscopic features.

Material

Depending on how the earth is going to change during the next ~50 years, we may be using very different materials in coins. The worst possible material would be plastic, I'd say. We could live in a dystopia with simple but possibly colourful plastic coins under the rule of a dictator. I hate thinking about that option

Horrible

But if we manage to make the world great again, there are (again) many different options.

physical bitcoins, these look beautiful.

I like to imagine coins would be like this:

Coins that could store information, or historical events. Imagine a commemorative coin with a MLK speech you could listen. That would be interesting.

​​​​​​What do you think future coins would look like/what would you like them to look like?

Say your opinions and ideas. No debating please.
Quote: "Monninen1"​Coins that could store information, or historical events. Imagine a commemorative coin with a MLK speech you could listen. That would be interesting.

​I remember there was something like that from Liberia or Mongolia already.
Maybe there will be no coins in circulation at all 8.
ROMAE AETERNAE
I think all money will be digital within 50 years.
Quote: "JRo69"​I think all money will be digital within 50 years.
I hope so.

Would be very easy to collect these ones, no packages, no drawers, no post office's taxes, no custom's ...
Lets adopt the KISS philosophy, "Keep It Simple Sucker"
This topic was not for "Coins are not going to be used in X years" I forgot to mention that in the first post, but I still thought it was going that way. I have doubted the use of coinage, but there are over 200 countries and coins have been used for thousands of years. 50 years is a small time.
Quote: "Monninen1"​This topic was not for "Coins are not going to be used in X years" I forgot to mention that in the first post, but I still thought it was going that way. I have doubted the use of coinage, but there are over 200 countries and coins have been used for thousands of years. 50 years is a small time.

​My timeline could be off and I hope I am wrong. Clearly all of us here love coins and currency and don't want to see them go away.
Quote: "Monninen1"​This topic was not for "Coins are not going to be used in X years" I forgot to mention that in the first post, but I still thought it was going that way. I have doubted the use of coinage, but there are over 200 countries and coins have been used for thousands of years. 50 years is a small time.

​Methinks coins and notes will still be used as day to day pocket change, but everyone in a decade or two will by carrying and paying with cards or some other form of digitisation. That's already the case for some people now, I imagine it will become more widespread in the future.

But back to the thread, future coins will probably continue to be made of metal (circulating ones, not talking about strange commemoratives), given the need for intrinsic value (as well as general inertia). I imagine it's primarily the coins' design elements that will continue to be modernised and change.
Coins could be somehow easier to use, if they were klippe-shaped.
Quote: "Monninen1"​Coins could be somehow easier to use, if they were klippe-shaped.
​not for automatic vending and counting machines. for those, round is the right shape.

I think they will need to be made of plastic rather than metal, as even base metals become harder to find in the world - and they will get RFID chips as those get cheaper to make to keep ahead of counterfeiters.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
The problem is that physical money which is hard to trace ‘will’ disappear if everything goes on as of today (governments and lazy people seem to agree). So the question 'what form coin will have in the future' is kinda moot.

They will look like today until they aren't made anymore. No plastic or fancy pants substitutions.
The closest to something like that is a kind of money card that you can fill with money like the ones already existing.

P.S. Since when is klippe a shape? :.
It is the method used to make these emergency coins, clipped sheet metal.
They come in squares, rectangles, triangles and more angles.
Quote: "Monninen1"​This topic was not for "Coins are not going to be used in X years"

​for the last time, if someone wants to say this one more time I will delete this topic. It may be that coins are not going to be used, but there are also chances that both cryptocurrencies and credit cards (and the internet) could be destroyed by a solar flair strong enough.

Im not angry, but this is not the right topic. If you want to talk about possible solutions etc. there are a million different ways. This topic is about the future of coins.
Light coins (aluminium) were problematic at least in East German vending machines (=phone booths), they got stuck. So they introduced 20 pfennig brass coin for use in phone booths.

Future coins could be like thin Legos - just make "worm" worth of 20 cents of those 5 cents. Polymer notes would be nice, starting from €0,5 or €1.
First of all, that’s a fantastic coin! As far as evolution of coinage is considered, I still prefer collecting ancient coins.. In the future we might have plastic coins or bit coins for that matter...
O futuro já está acontecendo...vi um programa sobre turismo e havia uma rua gastronômica em Sidney, Austrália, que não mais aceitava dinheiro, só cartão de crédito. Ao que parece, já se permite a escolha de meios de cobrança por parte do comerciante por lá. E na China, já é realidade a massificação dos aplicativos como meio de pagamento, utilizando-se o celular até para pagar comprar nos camelôs (comércio de rua).
ROBERTO CARLOS MOREIRA DOS SANTOS

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:47.