Help needed to ID Silver Karshapana coin from Maurian Empire 2

5 posts
Hello,

can someone help me to ID this Silver Karshapana coin from I believe the Maurian Empire.
If someone can help me find ruler and catalogue number that would be fantastic.

Metal: Silver
Diameter: 12.5X11mm
Weight: 3.45g

Thank you,

Paul
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
up
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
nice coin!
but difficult to find
https://www.zeno.ru/search.php?searchid=380193
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Punchmarked Coinage of the Indian Subcontinent, Magadha-Mauryan Series by P.L. Gupta and T.R. Hardaker. Revised Edition 2014.

This is likely #570 in Series VIb on p180. There are five obverse marks and one reverse mark described as follows:
1. Six-armed symbol #392 (upper right on your photo)
2. Sun #468 (lower left)
3. Triple-arched hill with upward facing arc above #374 (lower right side) ??
4. Peacock on pyramid of five arches #265 (middle left side) ??
5. Steelyard (balance) with pan to right #25 (upper left)

The reverse mark is the same as 4 above.

I am sure of marks 1, 2, 5 and the reverse mark. The top of mark 4 is cut off by the sun mark. Mark 3 may be in the lower right corner, but is not shown completely.

This series is dated from the accession of Asoka in 272 BC to the end of the Mauryan Empire in 175 BC. Coin #570 is given a rarity of AB (abundant – over 500 known).
Fantastic thank you so much, I will see that this numismatic reference book will be added to our website.

Best regards,

Paul

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:18.