Do you often get foreign ads on Numista?

23 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Just curious to know!

I've had Swedish, Polish, and now this Hungarian ad for various things appear on Numista for me:
Have you been Googling for Hungarian pickles for some reason, or did the big data algorithms mix up some coin searches you did :-)
Quote: "jokinen"​Have you been Googling for Hungarian pickles for some reason, or did the big data algorithms mix up some coin searches you did :-)
​Well I did recently do a swap with a Hungarian member and spent some time adding Hungarian coins to my collection, so maybe that's why I've been getting Hungarian ads lately:

I remember once a Numista friend from Sweden directed me to a coin listed on a Swedish auction site and when I next came on Numista the first ad I saw was a Swedish one for the exact same auction site...
I dont remember getting many foreign ads. Only some like US visa ads and for example Barnebys etc.
I don’t think I have, but I really haven’t paid close attention to every add. Some do catch my eye though. From now on the curiosity will kill me and I will have to check the add. 8~
Quote: "Monninen1"​I dont remember getting many foreign ads. Only some like US visa ads and for example Barnebys etc.
​I think just about everyone on Numista has seen a Barnebys' ad at one point or another:

Even off Numista the fact that we're collectors means we probably Google numismatic stuff often, and that means those algorithms will end up being biased in favour of coin related ads; I've seen auction companies' ads on pretty much every site I visit.

@worth
It really is worth checking every now and then, some of the stranger ads I've seen on Numista before include one for a boarding school in the UK, as well that Hungarian ad I posted above for a marketplace for parents of newborns. :D
Usually, google knows so little of me that even slightest search (or opened links) trigger adds based on that. And I often get that one ad again and again.
Catalogue administrator
I can't read hungarian, but looking at the picture in the original it seems like the google algorithm is quite awesome :O
Not too much...most what I get are ads from eBay,or Numiscorner.
Yet another intriguing Hungarian ad!

This one seems to be an antiparasitic product for dogs, which is strange because I am definitely more of a cat person. B.
I get ads for Banks and Money lenders a lot...
Guess that's what happens when half of what you google is economics concepts, and the other is coins!
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
impressive effectiveness of Hungarian advertisements, specially for dogs and children.
I have the superpower of Hungarian, and I was thinking about misleading words which lead to pet or baby nutrition, but no clue, really.z|
Now I have one for toiletries:

That one is not so unusual (for me at least) but why in Hungarian? That is the question. :.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Now I have one for toiletries:

​That one is not so unusual (for me at least) but why in Hungarian? That is the question. :.
​... it wasn't me X-D
Oh dear, what does this advertisement below say about me ?!
Sometimes I get Arabic or Brazilian Portuguese.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "ZacUK"​ Oh dear, what does this advertisement below say about me ?!

​Not the best advertisement for my country...
ROMAE AETERNAE
@Zac
Hahaha, wonder if I'll ever get that ad? :O

Today i got another seemingly random ad, not in Hungarian but something about real estate in Hawaii:
Since I have been paying attention I primarily get an ad from the US Mint. I have had what appears to be one of the companies that deals primarily in gold/silver bullion (AMPEX or something like this).

I will let this one speak for itself. :D
Mostly ads from:

- US mint (usually on the bottom of the page
- APMEX (mostly on the side)
- Barnaby's (mostly on the side)
- A few miscellaneous (usually small) ads (mostly on the side)

All ads in English (on Numista)
The Hungarian ads seem to have ended, and today I saw on Numista this ad for hotels in Mexico:

Again, no idea why the algorithm is showing me it.
Here's a rare foreign-language ad that appeared at the bottom (where US Mint ads normally appear):

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:04.