Elizabeth I 6 pence. Forgery or missing year?

5 posts
Hey guys,

I recently purchased this coin, and I noticed the year does not appear on Numista. I believe it to be this coin,
Eglantine mintmark, but my year, 1576, is missing. Could anybody check if this coin was minted in 1576 or if it is a forgery (I sure hope not). Diameter is 25mm, it looks silver to me.

Thank you so much for your help!

your coin sure seems real, contact the referee https://en.numista.com/echanges/profil.php?id=7319 to have the year added.
Mintmark on yours seems to be the Eglantine also, so same as year 1575
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "presedinte"​Hey guys,

​I recently purchased this coin, and I noticed the year does not appear on Numista. I believe it to be this coin,
​Eglantine mintmark, but my year, 1576, is missing. Could anybody check if this coin was minted in 1576 or if it is a forgery (I sure hope not). Diameter is 25mm, it looks silver to me.

​Thank you so much for your help!

​Hello @presedinte and thanks for sharing your coin, which I believe is Sp#2563 (1573-77) and I have just updated the Numista page here.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Coincraft (2000) lists many more dates and mintmarks for this type, which is EL6D-015, under "Third Issue" on page 249: pheon, rose, portcullis, lion, coronet, castle, and acorn; in addition to the ermine (1573-74) and the eglantine (1573-77).
Nice coin!!!
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:09.