Newbies first coin cleaning!!

7 posts
Hi all,
I’ve been soaking and inching my way through a mound of mud. This is my first attempt and I finally see a face. It’s a nice feeling even to get to that point and I don’t really care if it’s worthless but I was wondering if from the little bit of portrait that’s available, could anyone maybe recognize a period it may be from.... I know it’s a long shot haha. Should I keep chipping away or am I wrecking this? Thanks
What are you using to soak it in? And is it actually covered in mud, or is it some sort of hardened concretion?
What is the coin's diameter?
Welcome to Numista!!
Normally I get shivvers if I hear the words 'coin cleaning'.
But in this case, I think not much harm can be done.
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Hi all, haha, yeah, it’s a rough one to start with but sure Ye gotta start somewhere and I just love the idea of history in my hand and the thoughts of who’s hands it has passed through. I’m leaving it soak in olive oil and then trying to lift of the bits that are coming away every now and then. Looks like it was mud at one stage but seems to have hardened like concrete!! It’s diameter is 17mm if that’s any use. Thanks all for replying!!
I agree, coins like this are fascinating bits of history no matter what condition they're in. Personally if the coin were mine I'd start with ultrasonic cleaning (with some light scrubbing with a brass-bristled brush). Would also consider electrolysis (with scrubbing) to remove deposits - little chance of harm because the coin is in low grade already.

I also wanted to add that the phrase "coin cleaning" scares collectors because of harsh methods that have sometimes been used that damaged the coins. A safer term to use is "coin conservation."
Thanks Seeker55, i’ll Take your advice and give it a shot. Hopefully I don’t scrub too big a hole in it

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:58.