Coin weight Roman Republic 1 baiocco 1849 [solved]

5 posts
Dear Numista Experts,
Measuring the weight of an UNC coin I've found a value much higher than the weight listed on your site. Can we discuss it, Roman Republic 1 baiocco 1849? I attach photos to the message:

Your site gives 9.5g while I measured 10.22g!!! From my understanding, there could be three possible explanations:
1. The coin I discuss is fake. But if you would look at it, I hope you will agree that it is genuine.
2. Big scatter in coins' weights. I saw 10-20% in modern coins so this difference is quite possible, right?
3. The weight listed on your site was measured not for an UNC coin. Krause catalog is careful and does not give any weight at all. Therefore, I opened this topic in catalog's discussion to discuss the third possibility. Where 9.5g comes from?

Best regards
Really wonderfull coin you have there.
You don't need to worry, the weight or this coin seems to have quite a big discrepency. Look here https://numismatica-italiana.lamoneta.it/moneta/W-RM48/1 and you will see that the coins of this type vary in weight from 9.30g to 10.30g so in that case 9.5 is well possible but so is also yours with 10.22
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Thank you very much, that was of real help, I appreciate your help very much!
Would it not be reasonable to include weight scatter in the catalogs? Sometimes that could be of real help!
Status changed to Solved (StudentFS, 5-Jan-2019, 11:53)
Indeed I completely agree with you, it would be nice to include. For more moddern coins it makes less sense as the variance in weight is very small.

You can create under Numista Website a request for this addition to our site.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
What a beauty! and yes, I'd be happy to add a comment or approve a request!
LRC
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:08.