1618 copper coin? identifications , Italian state? [solved]

16 posts

» Quick access to the last post

was at a coin shop and picked this out of their $3 bucket of coins, i cant seem to be able to id it anywhere, the cross and date design makes me think it would be order of Maltese but its not a Maltese cross, this makes me think it could be from the Naples or Sicily the cross also looks similar to Burgundian or Spanish Netherlands coins ive seen so im pretty unsure, 1618 appear to be around the cross and 1816 would be unreasonable i reckon due to the overall design and appearance. ive flicked through my 1601-1700 catalog of world coins to no avail for about an hour so i thought id ask.

year , i think 1618
weight , 2.65g
diameter 20-22mm
i can read somthing like ANTO on the shield side

regards
Robertmx
Could be the Tyrolian eagle?
Date looks indeed to be 1618
Ther are a lot of Antons in that period
Anton Günther
Anton Heinrich
Antonia Maria II Tizzone
Antonio Priuli
Or St. Antonius?
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Hi,

Could the 8 be a 3? I have the feeling it's a 3.
its very possible it could be a 3

so 1618 or 1613

1316 i would think is unlikely
from doing a search under 1316 coins , many have a large cross on one side and the fact that the coin is not perfectly round makes me think it could be 1316
Want to help tou, probably the proper orientation is this, it may help other users with more experience (edited the photo a bit too).

I mostly agree with the "year" (if thoose numbers are the year) that we have numers 1-6-(X)-3 (order may vary as other users said like 1-3-(X)-6) )

I Did a research here too, just in case you missed it, and in all issuers, all years from 1603 to 1693 (1613, 1623...) in non precius metal dindt found any coincidence B. will try with 1306 (EDIT. did the first research in years not in gregorian date x.)

Interesting
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
Did a fast research, as said before:

- 1603, 1613... til 1693 gregorian dates, all issuers in non precius metal and i dindt found any coincidence
- Same for 1306, 1316... til 1396 gregorian dates, all issuers in non precius metal and i dindt found any coincidence

THERE IS A CHANCE THAT I PROBABLY MISSED IT IF TIS ON THE CATALOGUE as i did the reseach a bit fast.

There are a few coins with a cross in thoose years but none had the "year" next to the croos and in the other side no shield matches yours
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
if I rotate the picture, and if it 14th century, then I think the date could be 1319...
But the letters are not that old. Medieval legend would have different writing
It could be 1631?
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
dammmm i didnt even think the 6 could be a 9.....

also the only coins ive ever seen with a date around cross like that is the order of Malta

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44730.html

but in my opinion it is not Maltese as it is not a Maltese cross

also remember the numisma catalog doesn't have every single coin.. especially if it is from the 14th century

took another pic , hope it might help
Quote: "robertmx"​dammmm i didnt even think the 6 could be a 9.....

​also the only coins ive ever seen with a date around cross like that is the order of Malta

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44730.html

​but in my opinion it is not Maltese as it is not a Maltese cross

​also remember the numisma catalog doesn't have every single coin.. especially if it is from the 14th century

​took another pic , hope it might help
​Hi, did you look under Portuguese India ? similar dating design, possibly 1681?
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
that is definitely not a 14th century piece so you can disregard that.
It could also be a token, I don't recognize this piece.

Can you try to take sharper pictures? Reverse could also be a different bird such as a peacock? hard to say as pictures are not very sharp and its quite worn out.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Do I see a face???
Hello,

1628 and it's indeed a maltese grano minted under Antonio de Paul : http://coinsofmalta.com/Study/1Grano1628obv.html

Fun fact, I just realised I have a similar coin that I didn't manage to identify until now :O
Feel free to add it to the catalog.
Goof find Cycnos indeed the same coin

At least I was correct in guessing its a peacock
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Status changed to Solved (robertmx, 8-Jan-2019, 11:40)
thank you all for the help

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces156876.html

submitted a request for the coin , hopefully i did not make any mistakes on the listing.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:40.