Coin weight

15 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello
This is a coin weight, I have almost no doubt about that
Anyone with ideas about where is it from ?
Thank you

Hello,

What are the size and weight ?
2,3 cm
9,2 gr
Thank you
Quote: "Choucas"​Hello,

​What are the size and weight ?
​Hello
Found anything about this coin weight ?
Thank you
Hello,

What makes you think it is a coin weight ?
Looking at the thing it's probably like from 1780-1920, and I don't think there were any coin weights at this era ? It could have been made with a coin, however.
Due to expansion of trade in the late-17th and 18th century many gold coins from Portugal, France and Spain were current in England and sets of coinweights were made and issued to control them. Some of these weights with harp and shield were for use in Ireland but some were undoubtedly used in England too as many have been found by metal detector users here. The Acts of Parliament for the 'new standard' guinea and for the testing of coinweights (1774-5) had rid England of many lightweight coins but some foreign coins probably still circulated until the great recoinage of 1816. Included in the Act of Parliament of that year was the declaration that:-

I keep thinking it's a coin weight....................
Thank you
This kind of stamped letters I do not think can be from before the 19th century.
not disregarding that it is a weight but then it would probably be some kind of apothecary weight
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Perhaps you can ask here:
https://www.muntgewichten.com/

Could it be a button?
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
It's not a coinweight, they are called tradeweights in the metal detecting world. I've found plenty of them in the past. The indicated weight is usually stamped on the inside base as well as a mark in the shape of a ewer, the different weights are stacked on top of each other in the manner of a Russian doll. It's too late now but I could post a pic later of some of the ones I've dug up if you need convincing.
Thank you all for your opinions
Reklaw I'd like to see those pictures if you please
Thank you
Ok, here's some of my weights, mostly in poor condition. As you can hopefully see they are similar to your item.

Wonderful !!!
Thank you very very much !!!
Have identified where are they from ?
And the time they were made.
And (excuse me for all this questions ...) what are they used for?
Thank you again very much
Quote: "Reklaw"​Ok, here's some of my weights, mostly in poor condition. As you can hopefully see they are similar to your item.

​Nice!!!
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
I would think they were universally used across the British Isles and I would imagine worldwide. They were used to weigh goods like in a shop when everything was sold loose and not prepacked, as for age some may go back several centuries but probably most were in use from the mid 1800s to mid 1900s. This is what I've picked up from other sources not that I know for certain about their history.
Many thanks
I was "digging" around and that's almost the same I found
Thank you very much

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:28.