Similar materials appear different

2 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 1
Downvotes: 0
Dear Numista admins,

Let me start by congratulating you on this great website. I really enjoy using it. I do want to give a suggestion on how it might be improved still.

When looking at the "My collection" tab I noticed three metals appeared twice in the "Metals" list. My collection consists mostly of Euro and GBP coins. The one and two Euros are listed as "Bi-Metallic" whereas one and two Pounds say "bimetallic". These are counted as different materials in the overview. The same happened with steel coins. The "Copper plated Steel" of Euro cents was listed separate from "Copper plated steel" pennies, the latter in stead being grouped together under the second steel category together with nickel plated steel 5 and 10 ps.

I get that the difference currency might make it difficult to compare these coins, but that isn't the case for the third doubled metal. Almost all counties with Euros have their 10 through 50 cents listed as "Nordic Gold" but with those from Latvia and Lithuania it says "Nordic gold (Cu, Al, Zn, Sn)". This causes them to also be put on the list as being a different metal although it is of course exactly the same as other Euros'.

I know I could have asked the mentioned coin data to be edited, but it seems like it could be bigger than just these few examples. A fix to the problem might be making it so that any coin can only be given a material specification off a fixed list, of course with the possibility of requesting something different for rare metals or alloys. I get that coins are made from lots of different metals so it might not be easy to realise, but it would probably give more structure.
Hi Alberich,

this feature is already in the plan (no implementation date yet as few features are above in the line-up): having a pre-filled list of metals to suggest when adding a coin so it's more standardized. Meanwhile, Numista robot is being set to fix minor inconsistencies like bi-metallic and bimetallic.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Status changed to Rejected (Xavier, 29-Mar-2019, 21:47)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:04.