Is this silver? [solved]

9 posts

» Quick access to the last post

This is 1907 5 mark
i found it in catalogue but can silver be this corroded and if its silver can i clean it and how ?
Looks dodgy. What's on the rim? The real McCoys had a motto "GOTT MIT UNS" there.
From what I can see, it appears to have some rust, which if correct, would mean the coin is not real. (Unless the rust came from being against a ferrous object, and a small layer bonded to the coin at contact point- this is often seen with metal detecting finds). Have you checked it with a magnet? Also, as posted by bartweegie, if there is no edge lettering that would mean it is not real.
Quote: "Napoleon1"​From what I can see, it appears to have some rust, which if correct, would mean the coin is not real. (Unless the rust came from being against a ferrous object, and a small layer bonded to the coin at contact point- this is often seen with metal detecting finds). Have you checked it with a magnet? Also, as posted by bartweegie, if there is no edge lettering that would mean it is not real.
​Some coins found during metal detecting can have some deposits on them (it does not necessarily have to be a corrosion), depending on the soils they were deposited in. I actually found some roman denarii with ferrous oxide layers on them, which gave them similar look (although not on the whole surface, but in lumps) also a Victorian shilling with one side brown. Just a wee bit of smart4r5ing from me :)
Quote: "Bartweegie"
Quote: "Napoleon1"​From what I can see, it appears to have some rust, which if correct, would mean the coin is not real. (Unless the rust came from being against a ferrous object, and a small layer bonded to the coin at contact point- this is often seen with metal detecting finds). Have you checked it with a magnet? Also, as posted by bartweegie, if there is no edge lettering that would mean it is not real.
​​Some coins found during metal detecting can have some deposits on them (it does not necessarily have to be a corrosion), depending on the soils they were deposited in. I actually found some roman denarii with ferrous oxide layers on them, which gave them similar look (although not on the whole surface, but in lumps) also a Victorian shilling with one side brown. Just a wee bit of smart4r5ing from me :)
Yes, I’ve had several similar experiences- the one I clearly recall was a brass watch fob that was buried next to some sort of small iron item. A chunk of iron had bonded to one side of the fob, and the only way to remove it was by a quick bath in a solution of muriatic (hydrochloric ) acid and water. It came out looking excellent :)​ (This method of cleaning does not work on all metals, so make sure is compatible first, do not leave in the diluted solution but for a moment, otherwise item could be ruined. Also, DO NOT DO THIS without proper ventilation and knowing EXACTLY what you are doing).
If I just took a glance i would think is it was a copper or rusted steel coin.
it doesnt say anything on the rim,it is reeded
http://www.silvercoins.com/fake-silver-coins-14-ways-to-spot-counterfeits/
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Status changed to Solved (Cardinal123, 12-Feb-2019, 23:43)
Status changed to Opened (Cardinal123, 12-Feb-2019, 23:44)
Quote: "PetrusAscanus"http://www.silvercoins.com/fake-silver-coins-14-ways-to-spot-counterfeits/
​it is magnetic... thank you for link
Status changed to Solved (Cardinal123, 12-Feb-2019, 23:44)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:03.