Bi-Metallic vs Bimetallic [solved]

5 posts

This message aims at: requesting the modification of a coin in the catalogue

Upvotes: 3
Downvotes: 0
I know that at some point in the past, I had brought up this naming issue for coins in the catalog. I noticed that for example, 2 euro coins are listed as Bi-Metallic but 2 pound coins are listed as Bimetallic. Now this might not seem like a big deal, but when I look at the metals in my collection, i get two separate lines one for each spelling.

I would think it would be best to harmonize this to Bi-Metallic...I don't know how others feel about that but it would be nice to get it tidied up.
The use of Bimetallic in the UK catalogue was based on research of reputable and recognised English language dictionaries so I would advocate that the UK should be left as it is. However, there may be a conflicting spelling when translated to French, for example, so I would not be the person to comment on that.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
This shall be soon unified by Numista Robot.
Catalogue administrator
It should be 'Bimetallic' for all country listings.

Of course,there is also the odd Trimetallic coin.

Aidan.
Quote: "radrick007"​The use of Bimetallic in the UK catalogue was based on research of reputable and recognised English language dictionaries so I would advocate that the UK should be left as it is. However, there may be a conflicting spelling when translated to French, for example, so I would not be the person to comment on that.
​That's fine if the bimetallic is the one that stays. I only suggested it as an ease of harmonization but I of course prefer to keep the option which is the most correct linguistically. Knowing the bot will fix this is also good...i think
Status changed to Accepted (Sulfur, 16-Feb-2019, 14:44)
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 30-Jul-2019, 14:42)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:55.