Boliviano condition question.

6 posts

This coin looks AU to me, with portions of it weakly struck.
Im interested in other peoples opinion of this coin.
Think its cleaned?
Do you see any other issues with it?
Thanks, John
In spite of its shiny appearance I see quite some wear. Especially with the letters you see that the sides of the higher surfaces are softened out. The coat of arms looks worn, too. If I had it in my collection I would probably grade it as a 'normal' VF.

I, too, regard the low protrusion of the stars as weakly struck.

But there is something more interesting about this coin: an immense die crack is running from the R in Republica to the N in Boliviana!
Hey John,

I would say yes to cleaning; not sure if its scratches, or lighting possibly but I see evidence of it inside the wreath on the reverse. As for grade personally I would give it XF, or at least VF+; there's wear, but only on certain points and not too bad anywhere.

Speaking of die cracks, I wonder if the Bolivian mint had poor quality control in the 19th century; my 1899 coin also has quite large die cracks on the obverse. Wonder if it's a trend?
XF possibly cleaned /hairlines
Kristian

Everything in my collection can be sold if it would make someone happier than me :)
Im seeing a XF coin with only a possibility that it was lightly cleaned some time ago. Poorly struck but a beautiful coin overall.
Thanks for all the replies.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:53.